61 replies to this topic

#31 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:44 PM

Whether it is a soft synth or one in the real world, if it cannot process pitch bend it will only be able to play the 88 notes Mika6 mentioned.

That's it.

Only if you can process (and generate) pitch bend, can you play between the cracks.

Certain patches on the GR series "ignore" pitch bend info, like piano for instance. Pianos don't come with whammy bars.

You should download a program called MIDI Monitor, it reports all traffic across a MIDI link, very interesting to see what is going on.

J
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#32 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:01 PM

Another way of thinking about it.

Instead of the term "pitch bend" (which for us guitarists implies live movement) think of it as an instruction to play a note sharp or flat.

So the total MIDI note instruction actually translates as:

Play middle C, but sharp by 1/4 of a semitone.
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#33 Mika6

Mika6

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:51 PM

Pitchbend is fine on my hardware synths with my godin LGX not on the multiac but pitchbend isnt great on the multiac anyway. Slides don't work. and there is no microtoneality. Pitch bend doesn't work on the softsynths with either guitar. pitch bend ofcourse works with keyboards.

If I want bitchbend on the guitars I can input it --draw it in-- on the particular tracks

I know that we have over all of this. But the thing that is missing is that you guys aren't sitting at a computer with a sequencer on and a soft synth in front of you. I'm about ready to say fuck it and stop wasting you guy's time. they're many,many ways to use my fretless with synthesizers where this doesn't matter It's a shame cause it would have been really cool but you guys have got to be tired of it. So thank you ever so much let's get onto me bugging you about something else.
mikeal

#34 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:09 AM

Pitchbend is fine on my hardware synths with my godin LGX not on the multiac but pitchbend isnt great on the multiac anyway. Slides don't work. and there is no microtoneality. Pitch bend doesn't work on the softsynths with either guitar. pitch bend ofcourse works with keyboards.

???
I've got 4 guitars with GK style tech, the LGX and the Multiac, inc the baritone and a GK3 fitted Vigier. They all work with pitchbending, not that I can test them with a softsynth, but certainly with GR20 / GR 30 technology.

Slides work fine, you can fool the tech with a fast hammer-on, usually goes sharp a few cents.

I've always been impressed how well the Roland gear coped with slides.

Jah

#35 Guest_The Midi Doctor_*

Guest_The Midi Doctor_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:11 AM

Ha ha! Jeff I know you hating using soft synths or anything PC based, but most of my work is setting up PCs to do just that.

At the moment you can't beat dedicated hardware, but some of us survive on the great number of free soft synths out there.

MD

#36 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:42 PM

OK everyone, I give in.

Mind you I might start doing some new tracks....

#37 Mika6

Mika6

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

not that I can test them with a softsynth

been impressed how well the Roland gear coped with slides.

me too

I've got 4 guitars with GK style tech, the LGX and the Multiac---They all work with pitchbending---with GR20 / GR 30 technology.

Absolutely all of this is true for me too

Let me ask you this. Who among you record Midi sequenced music? Maybe you don't understand that is the application that I am working with.

I know I know "works fine for you"

#38 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:46 PM

Who among you record Midi sequenced music? Maybe you don't understand that is the application that I am working with.

What sequencer/application are you using?
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#39 Mika6

Mika6

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

What sequencer/application are you using?

Digital Performer 5

#40 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:36 PM

Been playing around with Midi-monitor and the GR20, so a little more info.

If you are bored we can go to the bollocks section...

The GR20 sends a huge amount of pitch bend data.

Generally an initial pitch bend instruction preceeds a "note on" instruction. The Note on includes a velocity, note off events appear as note on with zero velocity..

If you select a piano patch, the MIDI generator only sends note on messages, no pitch bend information is sent.

Jah

#41 Mika6

Mika6

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:15 AM

If you are bored we can go to the bollocks section...

:

:lol:

You should download a program called MIDI Monitor,

I'll do this and see if it works on my computer.

#42 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:50 AM

I think I've got it.

Synths are set up with a pitch bend range, usually two semitones. So the maximum bend response is just that.

The Roland GR synths, and the RA800, are set up to respond to 24 semitones over the same number range.

This allows you to play a note, then slide it two octaves.

The equivalent response, when a two octave slide is fed into a normal synth, would be a two semitone slide.

Jah

#43 Mika6

Mika6

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

Synths are set up with a pitch bend range, usually two semitones. So the maximum bend response is just that.

The Roland GR synths, and the RA800, are set up to respond to 24 semitones over the same number range.

The equivalent response, when a two octave slide is fed into a normal synth, would be a two semitone slide.

So which do I set up 2 0r 24 I can set up my GI-20 with either. And my synths.

#44 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

So which do I set up 2 0r 24 I can set up my GI-20 with either. And my synths.

Everything to 24, according to my calcs!

#45 Mika6

Mika6

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:36 PM

Everything to 24, according to my calcs!

I'll get back to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users