#1 bjwarshaw

bjwarshaw

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:32 PM

Hey guys,

I've made my decision. I'm going to convert my Carvin DC127 with Fishman Preamp to a fretless.

I'll try to keep progress posted, but in the meantime, any tips would be helpful, particularly:

If my frets are glued in (not sure yet), what should I use to heat the glue?

How should I go about "reducing" the nut, or should I just purchase a new nut of a lower height?

I'm sure I'll have other questions soon, and I'll post them when I think of them.
I would play with frets-
If they were flush-mounted to the fingerboard.

#2 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:59 PM

Hi Bj,

That sounds like a good decision :o

You can find a lot of info here on Materials forum, by reading the old threads. I was going to write a fret-removal tutorial, but forgot to do it.

Anyway... You can use a regular soldering iron to heat the frets. Even if the frets aren't glued in, heating helps as the frets expand and push themselves out of their slots.

If you don't have a soldering iron, i guess a regular "ironing iron" could work too. Remember to turn off the "steam" feature :lol:

And nuts: I sand the bottom of the nut till it becomes low enough.

emre
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#3 bjwarshaw

bjwarshaw

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:36 PM

Well, I took all of the frets out last night, with the help of my brother in law. My father in law and I are going to put some filler in the gaps within the next few weeks, but...

I couldn't resist throwing on a set of strings last night...

MAN!

This is incredibly difficult!

Yet...

The sound is unparalleled in its beauty. I don't care if it takes me years to truly get the hang of playing unfretted, I'll do it.
I would play with frets-

#4 Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:55 PM

I did like you with the impatient test drive when I did my first defretting. In fact I left it that way, worked pretty good. The one I'm playing now has nice contrasting fret fill "fretlines" which help me. I'm glad you like it so far. I bet that Carvin makes a really good fretless guitar. Do you have the ebony board?
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#5 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:22 PM

Well, I took all of the frets out last night, with the help of my brother in law. My father in law and I are going to put some filler in the gaps within the next few weeks, but...

I couldn't resist throwing on a set of strings last night...

MAN!

This is incredibly difficult!

Yet...

The sound is unparalleled in its beauty. I don't care if it takes me years to truly get the hang of playing unfretted, I'll do it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's my boy!
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#6 bjwarshaw

bjwarshaw

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:58 PM

It's a Carvin DC127 with piezo bridge saddles. The board IS ebony.

Those factors are sort of what made me say, "hey, I'm just going to do this".

I can't wait to get it filled and smoothed. Then I'll get some new strings (closer in guage to one another), set 'er up, and go.

If I can find the time in the next few days, I'll take some snapshots of the guitar as it stands right now.
I would play with frets-

#7 bjwarshaw

bjwarshaw

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:16 PM

I played her for about an hour today, mainly messing around with one of the themes from the movie "Braveheart". It sounded beautiful, the instrument is so expressive now. It's gone from being a guitar that I was going to sell on eBay to a guitar that I'm going to tweak and tweak until I have a very usable fretless. The sound attributes that I hated about the guitar fit PERFECTLY with the fretless tone.

I think I'm going to trade in my car and put the money toward a custom doubleneck! :blush:
I would play with frets-

#8 Guest_bejeeber_*

Guest_bejeeber_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:41 AM

....The sound attributes that I hated about the guitar fit PERFECTLY with the fretless tone.....

What sound attributes would those be?

My wife has a Carvin tele style custom guitar with set in neck, ebony fretboard. Man that thing is cold as ice in my hands - I can't get any melodic expression out of it, in stark contrast to her 1960's ES-125 (rosewood fretboard), which is all warm and really sings and snarls expressively.

Those 2 guitars are fretted, but it still causes me some concern about trying Ebony for a fretless fingerboard, although granted there are so many other differences between those 2 guitars, such as scale length, bridge type, etc.

#9 Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:34 PM

Sorry to hijack. Could it be you like hollow and semi-hollow body guitars but solid bodies not so much? Something special about a hollow or semi hollow. Though I don't have one now, I really like the 335s for that extra liveliness. My pal Dino has a Lucille and it has a couple of extra features that put it right between a semi hollow and a solid. What a great guitar.
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:34 PM

Sorry to hijack. Could it be you like hollow and semi-hollow body guitars but solid bodies not so much?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That could certainly be part of it, but I bet if were to play an old solid body Les Paul Jr for instance, I'd find a similar feel as with the ES-125. Man I wish I had an old Les Paul Jr! Unbelievable what those bottom of the barrel and once ultra cheap guitars are going for now because they have that feel and sound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users