225 replies to this topic

#1 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:22 AM

Even the coffee in petrol stations in Italy is good. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've just gotten back from Rome of all places, seems to be travelling lots these days... does I...

Must report though, coffee generally good, especially expresso - but I wish it came in significantly larger quantities, like all things, I suppose.... :angry:

_
gaz

oops! nearly forgot!...

paid the highest price ever for beer €8.50, 0.4L! - hang on! new thread!
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#2 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:54 PM

Even the coffee in petrol stations in Italy is good. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've just gotten back from Rome of all places, seems to be travelling lots these days... does I...

Must report though, coffee generally good, especially expresso - but I wish it came in significantly larger quantities, like all things, I suppose.... :angry:

_
gaz

oops! nearly forgot!...

paid the highest price ever for beer €8.50, 0.4L! - hang on! new thread!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I paid €22 for a "Grande" (one litre) beer at a piss poor Paris café recently, and the **nt of a barman hadn't filled it to the line.

--j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#3 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:22 PM

OK, I'll have a go - cheapest:

back in the fake-ID days of high school (legal age was 18 the year I went off to college), and before I knew better about what actually qualifies as beer, one could get a pitcher (several litres?) of Narragansett lager at the Portuguese-American Club in Warren, RI for 75 cents.

Other contenders when I was in college in Vermont for a year included upstate New York's Genesee Ale (a case for a few bucks), and, if I recall correctly, something called Schmidt's Tiger Ale (Philadelphia.) After that first year of college and an experience of "holding on to the lawn to keep from being thrown off into space" (my grandfather's description of a Prohibition era experience he had) I was cured of the impulse to ever again drink in Viking quantities.

€8.50 for 0.4 L...! Quello è un oltraggio! What beer was it?

As for larger quantities of espresso, I think you'd like the wake-up special at the cafe near my former apt. in San Francisco, called a Depth Charge: a pint glass of their regular coffee (already good and strong), with two shots of espresso added. After that one you'd be ready to don a US Postal uniform and pop an extra clip into the Uzi... :ph34r: Did help me construct two loft beds in 24 hours, though...
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#4 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:02 PM

I paid €22 for a "Grande" (one litre) beer at a piss poor Paris café recently, and the **nt of a barman hadn't filled it to the line.

--j

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

€22?! Was it Belgian at least?

#5 Guest_Gazza_*

Guest_Gazza_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:57 PM

Damn my connection went down before I could start this thread - BUT -

22€!!!!!!! EH!

for 1 litre! that's got mine beat! Was that a special price for brits?

Bet you held off peeing that one out as long as possible!

_
gary :angry:

the 8.5€ beer was probably peroni (or however it's spelt) - but it tasted more like the drip tray

#6 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:52 PM

22€!!!!!!! EH!

_

the 8.5€ beer was probably peroni (or however it's spelt) - but it tasted more like the drip tray

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well it only beat you by €1 and it was just as non-descript. --j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#7 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:51 AM

Another asshole of a place was in a certain irish bar in Oslo, that shalt remain nameless....

The story goes that I popped in for the !st time in a while and ordered my guiness, and was faced with a bill of 64kr (£5) which was high, but a little expected, but just to further piss me off the cocky austrailian bar idiot decided that the other 6kr would fit nice and easily in his tip jar - so he placed it there without notifying me.

It'll be my decision as to whether anyone gets tipped over the service - thankyou

This barman was a loud, cocky moron who's voice boomed over the background muzak - who then, rather than do something useful like clean (the place was a sh*thole) or serve people, preceded to count out his tip jar and remark unashamedly with other staff on how much he was squandring in tips!

w*nker.

It's not a problem, there are plenty of other places in Oslo for me to go, and I spend a lot when I go out, so if the boss of the bar wants my kind of regular business he wouldn't hire such dickheads.

_
gary

(I'm not accusing all ozzies generally of such behaviour.)

that'll do for now :angry:

#8 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:26 PM

22€!!!!!!! EH!

_

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to get a scale on this, I went out and purchased a peroni. I'm drinking this as I type. You were certainly ripped off. In fact, I think you should report the incident to the EU commission on human rights abuses.

The only thing I can think of that would be worse is being offered a Coors for free.

Rob

#9 thejim

thejim

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:49 PM

My sister bought a beer in Norway and got charged the equivalent of £8. At the other end of the scale, Asda sell a pack of generic French lager, £1.99 for 12. And it is actually not bad, a bit weak but perfectly drinkable.
You're a grotesque, ugly freak and you're wrong. Thankyou.
http://myspace.com/fearsomegonad

#10 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

My sister bought a beer in Norway and got charged the equivalent of £8.  At the other end of the scale, Asda sell a pack of generic French lager, £1.99 for 12.  And it is actually not bad, a bit weak but perfectly drinkable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah! unfortunately I think Oslo is still the worst overall (depends on where in town you go) but a little birdy tell me that Sweden are thinking of dropping their booze prices by up to 40%! I dunno if this is true or not but it'll hopefully have a knockon effect in Norway.....

But Dude, stay away from them Asda own brand tea bags - I read on some forum somewhere that they can totally suck arse......

_
gary

french lager!... ;)

#11 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:33 PM

Sweden are thinking of dropping their booze prices by up to 40%! I dunno if this is true or not but it'll hopefully have a knockon effect in Norway.....

french lager!...  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I think the word you are looking for is knockover if booze drops 40% in Norway.

I had an Australian bloke in a bar trying to tell me Kronenbourg 1664 was German.

:lol: --j

#12 thejim

thejim

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:57 PM

My sister bought a beer in Norway and got charged the equivalent of £8.  At the other end of the scale, Asda sell a pack of generic French lager, £1.99 for 12.  And it is actually not bad, a bit weak but perfectly drinkable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah! unfortunately I think Oslo is still the worst overall (depends on where in town you go) but a little birdy tell me that Sweden are thinking of dropping their booze prices by up to 40%! I dunno if this is true or not but it'll hopefully have a knockon effect in Norway.....

But Dude, stay away from them Asda own brand tea bags - I read on some forum somewhere that they can totally suck arse......

_
gary

french lager!... <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm skint at the mo'. What can I say? I would love to be drinking Belgian beers every night. But I cant afford it :D At least it tastes better than meths, or Asda teabags!

#13 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:20 PM

_
gary

french lager!...  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm skint at the mo'. What can I say? I would love to be drinking Belgian beers every night. But I cant afford it :D At least it tastes better than meths, or Asda teabags!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Back in school when I was a bartender in an Italian restaurant in Boston, they had a cheap Italian lager on the menu (name forgotten in the mists of time, sorry) - 'twas about as good a beer as a German Chianti would be in wines; the Asda couldn't be any worse than that. And the Alsatian beers can be pretty good, actually.

Well, back to my third sonic perambulation of the Village...
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#14 thejim

thejim

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:36 PM

I think the worst beer I have had would be Hofmeister. Follow the bear, why? To watch him shit in the woods?

According to my Pater 'Watney's Red Barrel' was pretty grim, but I am too young to have experienced it.

#15 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:14 PM

I think the worst beer I have had would be Hofmeister.  Follow the bear, why?  To watch him shit in the woods?

According to my Pater 'Watney's Red Barrel' was pretty grim, but I am too young to have experienced it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Watney's Red Barrel party can containing 7 pints (4 litres) of the most unpalatable bitter, was the ticket to getting into parties in the sixties. It was always warm as fridges had not been invented then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users