63 replies to this topic

#61 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

One of the things Ive toyed with doing, though its at the bare conceptual stage, is to do an online virtual tour:

Find in your home town or area some really interesting cool looking physical spaces - not your average theatre or venue -- set up a two-camera shoot and live stream the event , access to the event to be paid in advance online. Do it on a semi- regular basis, varying the program enough so that each event would be really unique. Dont know if its cost effective or not - in terms of cameras, sound, streaming servers, etc. - being cheaper than the cost of transportation for a live tour - so I have some research to do. I also need a bigger fan base than I currently have :(

Nothing really replaces the heart to heart connection of people with people, but if its well done and well directed visually, I think it could be pretty close.

Very interesting,

When I did my stint in South Africa, tickets for U2 came on sale well in advance. I didn't buy any, thought I would not be there that long.

So I ended up watching it on Television. Well the mix was crap, the video direction was poor, the whole thing stank like a kipper lost behind the fridge.

I was pleased not to have forked up the money for a ticket.

Then I met all me mates that had gone, which was just about everybody. They praised it from the roof-tops, best ever concert, life-time experience, etc.

So I guess you are right about the people 2 people thing. How would you bridge that gap?

BTW I did get to see The Prodigy live in ZA a few weeks later and they were far better then U2, one of the best live performances I have ever witnessed, truly amazing.
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#62 Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

We have some feelers out, not commitments yet but we hope it'll work out, to do virtual duets at some festivals where we would be here in Nashville and play audio performances in realtime over the internet with duet partners who are physically at the festival sites, us and them performing live. We also have a strong possibility we'll be doing one or more performances live on the virtual internet game/construct Second Life. I am becoming a little conversant in the different freely-available technologies used to do these things. There are live videocast technologies available for free as well.
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#63 Edward Powell

Edward Powell

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:01 AM

The Virtual Tour idea is very very cool. . . essential a way that the Indie can create his/her own LIVE TV broadcast - but via the Internet. Of course the main benefit would be to the Environment thru not having the band need to travel.

I do agree with the approach but I think we must be very careful and remain fully aware that this is contributing to another dangerous current human tendency which is to isolate alone with our machines rather than get out of thehouse and CONNECT with other REAL humans.
www.edwardpowell.com

#64 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

The Virtual Tour idea is very very cool. . . essential a way that the Indie can create his/her own LIVE TV broadcast - but via the Internet. Of course the main benefit would be to the Environment thru not having the band need to travel.

I do agree with the approach but I think we must be very careful and remain fully aware that this is contributing to another dangerous current human tendency which is to isolate alone with our machines rather than get out of the house and CONNECT with other REAL humans.

Oh, I dunno if this virtual tour idea (something that Montréal's own SAT has been developing for a while, as "telepresence") can really be considered an example of isolation via machine fixation - it's more like the opposite: like staying in touch with distant friends via phone or email (or unfretted forums.) And as for the studio anorak syndrome (which I came down with about 25 years ago, which hasn't destroyed my urge to get out and play as well), well, composition has long been a solitary activity, well before the advent of our silicon slaves.

I can picture some 18th century wife grumbling "Alors! That Pierre! Always hiding himself away with that damn pianoforte! It's not healthy!"
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users