#1 bokos1971

bokos1971

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:56 AM

George Zikos is my guitar teacher...

I decided to learn the blues at 44 (better late than never :whistling: )

and i came to know a man (a little older than me) with a great n inspiring personality, and a Great musician too...

George plays live here in Athens Greece, every weekend with his 20 + year old band called ZEROZERO, using NO pedals at all. Just his old battered Gibson Les Paul Custom straight in a vintage - blackface Fender Super Reverb...he plays with natural overdrive (volume at his amp close to MAX) and he attenuates volume using a marshall attenuator and ofcourse his guitar's volume.

One of his first guitar loves were experiments with jazz n fretless guitar

so , a fretless music production was a result of love n passion for this kind of music , some years after

im attaching links of his DIVAGATION  - ALBUMreview in this awesome site , plus a small video from an old Greek music tv show, presented his frettles approaches almost 20 years ago

i hope u ll like it

1) http://www.unfretted...retless-guitar/

2)

Cheers

Dimitris Bokos

Athens

Greece

:thumbup:

#2 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:22 AM

Welcome Dimitris, If I ever get to Athens will be sure to get to one of Georges shows!

The TV show is pretty cool, who is the Interviewer?

Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#3 bokos1971

bokos1971

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

Thanx Jahloon,

first of all thanx for including George - my teacher - in your UNFRETTED guitar history, very nice site n work (keep walking), he is really - really  happy to be a part of your great work in "unfretted.com"

1)George is a charismatic player, self tought for almost 35 years, he acclaimed  multi technique playing skills including country n chicken picking, blues rock with an extra blues sense in his own , hard rock n shredding, he is really a slide King....and all those non mentioning fret less n jazz guitar, mixing n recording etc.

u must SEE him if u manage to come over , so just let us know

2) the interviewer is Christos Papadopoulos, a Greek multi instrumentalist with Greek bouzouki as his main instrument

so...please let me give u a small piece of the fun were having almost every Saturday night here (although not unfretted this time)

HAVE MERCY...

#4 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:52 PM

WoW! Looks like a great night out... George even sings like Hendrix  :cool:

Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#5 bokos1971

bokos1971

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:20 AM

:thumbup:

#6 Liquids

Liquids

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:08 PM

Watching the 1998 video, I like that he seems to have his own style with fretless.

His playing and phrasing doesn't sound oud-based, nor does it sound derived from Indian/hindustani classical, nor is he just shredding or only rarely using the fretless instruments capabilities--like some other fretless players that I hear.

I like his originality with the fretless most of all!

Sometimes it's sad being a lefty...

#7 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:44 PM

Yes the 1998 video is a gem, I would really like to get to one of his performances, like you say his take on the fretless is very original.

What amazed me was I only recently tracked him down, and I thought I had all the fretless players nailed!

Another unexpected find was Vasant Rai, sixth months back.

http://www.unfretted...-and-interview/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users