15 replies to this topic

#1 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:49 PM

Took the Baritone into work today to repair the damage in transit to NYC where the two switches on the sustainer were bent / broken.

Did get it serviceable for the festival but the switch for Normal / Norm & Harm / Harmonic would go to the normal position but not deselect the mixed harmonic.

Needs to be fixed sooner or later so it was neck off, electronics out and horror of horrors; its a three pole ST on/off switch and a (two pole) DPST with centre off.

I've only got SPST switches. Never seen a minature three pole switch before. So now we are hunting the suppliers and believe we have a source.

More news as and when....

:)

Then a new mobile phone arrived and my old SIM card is 5v and wont work in a 3v phone.

:)

Then another toy arrived in pieces, well with the battery compartments smashed off and something internal rattling about.

:(

Not my day.

j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#2 thejim

thejim

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:16 PM

Bugger.

Not my day either, I have been awaiting the arrival of a David Byrne DVD from Amazon for ages- turns out the bugger is in NTSC even though they advertise it in PAL. I don't think it will work on my TV- even if it does the picture will be crap.
Oh the joys of Amazons returns policies............
You're a grotesque, ugly freak and you're wrong. Thankyou.
http://myspace.com/fearsomegonad

#3 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:23 PM

As PAL is 625 lines and NTSC 525 lines you should be able to claim a 16% discount!
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#4 thejim

thejim

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:26 PM

Discount? Depends on your resolution really.

#5 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:28 PM

As PAL is 625 lines and NTSC 525 lines you should be able to claim a 16% discount!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, forgot about the frame rate 25pps PAL, 30 pps NTSC, you owe them 0.008%, you are right, not a good day.

:(

#6 thejim

thejim

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:46 AM

Didn't work on my TV, time to test my mettle against Amazon's returns process.
I may be some time.................

#7 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:47 AM

Well the switches arrived, the countdown to the midday operation has started. --j

PS I don't tink Amazon are that bad, I sent a book back I didn't like without too much bother.

#8 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 10:49 AM

Is she gonna make it through the surgery, doctor? :(

e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#9 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:32 PM

Is she gonna make it through the surgery, doctor? :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well she was under the knife for an hour and fifty minutes. The switches were touch and go as I couldn't get PCB mount types and had to modify solder lug types. They were also slightly higher, so some compensation had to be made with washers and things.

Bonus was there is an on board power LED which is now on the scratchplate, a good reminder to remove the jack plug to kill the power or you are forever running out of PP3s.

The case was also modified so as not to stress the switches again and a recess in the padding was also made for the Roland GK2 wart. So next time we fly out to a festival, things should be fine.

Seems to work OK but needs a tune up and test through an amp.
I'll let the anaesthetic wear off and try all that this evening.

Jeff

#10 thejim

thejim

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 02:19 PM

She'll be back on solids in no time!

BTW the worst part of the DVD returning was the bloody post office queue!
It felt like a gaol term in a Siberian labour camp. But colder and with less friendly staff.

#11 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:25 PM

Bugger.

Not my day either, I have been awaiting the arrival of a David Byrne DVD from Amazon for ages- turns out the bugger is in NTSC even though they advertise it in PAL.  I don't think it will work on my TV- even if it does the picture will be crap.
Oh the joys of Amazons returns policies............

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing like universal standards... :( The digital vid geeks I use to work around joked that NTSC stands for "Never The Same Color".

This was Amazon UK?
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#12 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:47 PM

For the vid geeks the complete quote was "Never The Same Color Twice" the problem was the way the color signal was processed, phase wise. PAL or Phase Alternate Line, switched the colour phase on each line, summed the difference and kept the colour constant. German system I believe.

Well the baritone made it through and is on the way to a full recovery, tuned up OK, all the electronics check out and there is now a friendly LED on the scratchplate to tell me when the PP3 is flat.

Anything for the weekend?

--j

#13 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:53 PM

BTW the worst part of the DVD returning was the bloody post office queue!
It felt like a gaol term in a Siberian labour camp.  But colder and with less friendly staff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See my earlier posts about the post office when sending out the artist's CDs.

Kai - Yes its Amazon UK.

Catch us next week for another delivery marathon and how the couriers (staff) whizz your goodies.

Jeff

#14 thejim

thejim

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:29 AM

It is bizarre but true, a UK DVD recorded by the BBC but sold as NTSC. Advertised as PAL I hasten to add.

Jeff, in my trade there are many ridiculous acronyms, but my favourite is NICAM-
Near Instantanious Companded Audio Multiplex. Try saying that with a mouth full of crisps!

Current acronyms that mindless consumers are asking about this month:
HDMI
HDCP
DVI

I don't know why they ask because they glaze over as soon as you start to explain them- I bore myself to a near catatonic state in some demos.
If anyone else comes in and asks me "which is better LCD or Plasma" I may well lose the will to live. Bastards.

#15 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:06 AM

Can't say I could guess any of those, but it cracks me up when they appear on the front of product, like to impress your friends etc.

Same with cars that boast the engine size and spec like GXL2.0TDi on the rear, very vulger and in bad taste.

My industry fav is HSCSD (High Speed Circuit Switched Data) usually guarantees a WOT? response.

--j

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users