152 replies to this topic

#1 joeydude

joeydude

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:27 AM

ok maby my brain is inferior or something but atonal music just dont do it for me

like this

kinda cool, definitly has an out of this world vibe but i cant even stand watchign the whoel video (no offence to dudeguy playing, he is obviously good at this atonal thing, which is why i use it as an example). its just not doin it for me.

im totally down with not followign scales so strictly (you know lotsa accidentals) but i prefer shit that stays within the octave broken into 12 tones system.

so,

what do you think of atonal music

cool? not cool? to weird? not weird enough?

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:59 PM

Depends on persons.

personnaly i'm with you, i can't stand atonal but more than this i have the impression that some players are atonal by incident.

This is very weird to explain..this is not that i think "hey this guy doesn't know to play in tune!" it simply that when i hear many atonal tunes i feel like if it is not intentionaly played like this..

The example you've taken is good to explain that, because that tune, well i can stand most of the video because to me it seems MAV controls what he want to do, but on some other videos or tune from the same artist i have the impression it is not the case.

As said, this is not a jugement rather an impression i have, and addtionaly a whole song or music played atonal is just impossible for me..like you my brain can't stand it at all.

I do prefer people that play in the 12 tones systems that sometimes put a little bit of atonal and or/microtonal in their music for 10-20 seconds like bumblefoot or Tim donahue.

To me the fretless is first a guitar with a beautifull rich and liviing tone so i love simple melodies with it.(so bad the sustain on upper strings is a little bit difficult to have!)

#3 ogami

ogami

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

that was me

#4 pawel

pawel

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:24 PM

You gotta keep in mind that atonal music can use only 12TET, while there can be some very "tonal" music played using only microtonal scales. Atonality doesn't mean "out of tune", it means basically that you abandon key centres in a composition.

I like atonal, and I like microtonal - sometimes it sounds good to me, sometimes it doesn't, just like it is the case with tonal 12TET music. Sticking to one tempered tuning seems to me to be a very restrictive thing for an artist or a listener - it's like saying that you won't paint or look at that anything that is not oil on canvas. And really part fo the reason why microtonality sounds "bad" to us is that we have been hearing 12TET all our life. Sure, that doesn't stop microtonal music from being "bad", but I decided to be more open-minded about it (mostly easing myself in by listening to lots of Turkish, Arabic, and Indian music) and now I appreciate a lot of it. Fwiw, some of MAV's work is a bit too challenging for me, but I am a huge fan of what Dan Stearns does for instance.

Of course nobody can be forced to like it, but I generally appreciate when someone approaches with a better attitude than "it is out of tune, it's just mistakes" etc. You two seem to be open-minded about it, and that's what matters.

#5 Guest_V_*

Guest_V_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:44 PM

Hey, thanks for posting a link to one of my videos. Also, just to state a fact that only a few know. It was recommened to me to use the middle name "ATONAL" becuase of a famous football player in the United States named "Michael Vick". This was suggested for search engines mainly, and it does seperate us rather well when doing a web search too. My real middle name is Lloyd, & that is not as "musically" catcheeeey.

About my sound, I don't play in one "particular" style or tuning, but I do prefer Microtones over anything that I have ever heard. Although, if you spend alittle time following my sounds; I play in the 12-TET and some Atonal sounds too. I did use the name MiKroTonal-Hole.com for alittle while, but that was even more confusing for the average human.

In the end, I play sounds that I like, and I spend alot of time studying all types of Tunings etc..... I remember when I was young not liking the sound of Reggae at first, but now I really like it. I recommened to just keep on listening, and you never what you might hear or be moved by......................V

#6 Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

No harm/no foul on any one's opinion about "the arts".

Last night Pantha and I played with a bunch of different people downtown and the coolest, funnest "music/noise" of the evening was this gal had her pug dog and had attached a wireless mic to him with the mic element implanted in his dog squeek toy. He moved around the room mouthing his toy making audio signals and the owner and her boyfriend manipulated the effects live. Was it music? It was non-intentional as far as the dog's being the performer but the manipulations of sound by the couple were intentional. And it was our favorite performance of the evening.

So I can like the unusual.
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#7 Guest_shigihara_*

Guest_shigihara_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:08 PM

so,

what do you think of atonal music

cool? not cool? to weird? not weird enough?

let's get the terminology straight in the first place... :D

When I think of atonal music I think along the lines of this:

http://cnx.org/content/m11421/latest/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atonality
http://www.answers.com/topic/atonality

Most people seem to think atonal is like 'anything' goes...
hearing a few weird notes here and there over 'conventional'
functional chords and forms or pedal notes won't do it...

I have yet to hear 'atonal music' on a fretless guitar...
Even the guitar version of the Berio 'Sequenza' is not atonal...

....i have the impression that some players are atonal by incident.

This is very weird to explain..this is not that i think "hey this guy doesn't know to play in tune!" it simply that when i hear many atonal tunes i feel like if it is not intentionaly played like this..

in plain english... much of it is out of tune...whatever fancy term one may call it. :D

#8 Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:27 PM

I think there's a lot out there for free download. I don't think I know of a fretless guitar player with a strict repertoire of only atonal music, of course.
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#9 Guest_shigihara_*

Guest_shigihara_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:29 PM

I think there's a lot out there for free download. I don't think I know of a fretless guitar player with a strict repertoire of only atonal music, of course.

please show me !

this is how far I came with finding out stuff for the guitar:

http://www.sheerpluck.de/

#10 Guest_V_*

Guest_V_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:34 PM

The debate of in-tune vs. out-of-tune has to be one of the funniest debates ever.......It is sooooo sad that "theories" have limited certains Humans appreciation of something "different"........I sometimes just step on my guitar for sounds, and in the end I don't personally care what the "theoretical" term is for it or if it is "in-tune".......Humans limit themselves in soooo many other ways; why have sound/music be one of them........I personally like to play things that I have never heard which means sometimes my sound is going to be "weird" or even better "out-of-tune" to someone. I can not prevent that, but it so much fun to talk about sounds that are "different" or again, even "out-of-tune" :D WOOOF , WOOOF!!!!

#11 Guest_shigihara_*

Guest_shigihara_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:40 PM

The debate of in-tune vs. out-of-tune has to be one of the funniest debates ever...

sure... it's been going on for a long time... :D

but if you're interested in some facts check this out:

http://cnx.org/content/m11639/latest/

enough to keep you busy for at least a lifetime...

#12 Guest_V_*

Guest_V_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the link, and btw I am very studied on the subject. I just like to have an open mind for the "Arts" which what music and sound are to me..........An open field..........V

#13 Guest_shigihara_*

Guest_shigihara_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the link, and btw I am very studied on the subject. I just like to have an open mind for the "Arts" which what music and sound are to me..........An open field..........V

sure... didn't say anything to the contrary...

it is an open field... too many people stay in the same place though. :D

#14 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

MAV controls what he want to do

mav rocks give it chanc for tda future

#15 Guest_V_*

Guest_V_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:58 PM

too many people stay in the same place though.

True.

mav rocks give it chanc for tda future

Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users