#16 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:04 PM

Pretty impressive!

Almost sounds like new strings / dead strings, brings a lot of life to the performance.

Jeff
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#17 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:28 PM

Nice. Sounds pretty much like bronze strings on a fretted acoustic. Which piezo system and what strings are you using?

Thanks for the clips.

#18 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:32 PM

I'm using Graptech's GHOST piezo saddles. But i did not get their preamp (too expensive), so i'm using various DIY preamps with the saddles :lol:

This is how the saddles look. The wires aren't that visible unless you look at the guitar from an angle, they're well hidden under the strings.

As for the strings, they're Thomastik Infeld flatwound 0.11's. "Swing series" if i remember correct. Being flatwound, they sound dark.

And by the way, a regular pick doesn't normally sound so dull and boring with the piezos. But in the samples, you hear the pick right after jellifish and your ears can't adjust immediately, which kinda tricks you into thinking that way :o

e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#19 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:46 PM

As for the strings, they're Thomastik Infeld flatwound 0.11's. "Swing series" if i remember correct. Being flatwound, they sound dark.

And by the way, a regular pick doesn't normally sound so dull and boring with the piezos. But in the samples, you hear the pick right after jellifish and your ears can't adjust immediately, which kinda tricks you into thinking that way :o
e

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm always getting tricked by stuff like that, amazing.

Also using Thomastik Infeld flatwound 0.12's. "Swing series" on the baritone, they are really worth the little extra dosh for the sound they create.

Jeff
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#20 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:05 PM

Don't worry, it tricks me too :o

e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.

#21 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:10 AM

Your piezos sound much more like an acoustic than mine do (with the spiny starfishy or not). I've currently got Labella 15's on it. I had Rotosound flats on it before the defret. I really like them. Nice and bright.

I may have to look into some DIY preamps. It has a preamp on it, but I'd like to get the strings separated into six individual outputs.

#22 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 08:27 AM

For DIY preamps:

I used this Mint-box pre for a while. It's a simple build and sounds nice.

Then i ran into this Hamptone JFET pre, it's more professional, sounds punchier. I used this one into sound card while recording the clips.

e

#23 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:51 AM

I love those circuits you can drop into boxes etc. Reminds me of the days when you had to build everything yourself, and repair your own car!

--j

#24 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:20 PM

Reminds me of the days when you had to build everything yourself

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe i should've lived in those days. Or maybe i am :o

e

#25 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:09 PM

:o

Found out that i have made a wiring error and placed the volume pot before the preamp (instead of "after"). This was loading down the signal (impedance mismatch), resulting in a loss of highs. So the previous two samples were darker than they should've been.

This is how the piezos actually sound with a regular pick.

e

#26 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:45 AM

That's a really nice acoustic sound you've got there!

Bin getting a bit hardcore with a soldering iron these days dude it seems...

_
gary
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#27 thejim

thejim

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:06 AM

I have been using rubber money counting thimbles for picks recently, the rubber nodules sound pretty cool too. Plus it is nigh on impossible to drop the bugger when playing.
You're a grotesque, ugly freak and you're wrong. Thankyou.
http://myspace.com/fearsomegonad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users