Chilly Willy

Lesser Gaggle

• Mexicanician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:36 PM

http://www.metrosant...music-0742.html

http://www.loopbrighton.com/

This might be interesting for a bunch of fretless artists, check it out!

#2 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:36 AM

http://www.metrosant...music-0742.html

http://www.loopbrighton.com/

This might be interesting for a bunch of fretless artists, check it out!

Yeah, I know Rick Walker (who's from Santa Cruz), he plays a lot of looping fests, has played with Tellef Ogrim. Nice stuff.

I'm currently working a bit with loops with a live trio - I use the Tenori-on as a basis and create loops on the fly with the Kaossilator and the fretless thru the various Kaoss Pads, The singer processes her voice and creates loops in Ableton Live, and her boyfriend, a violinist who also plays guitar & bass, uses a Loopstation.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#3 Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Lesser Gaggle

• Mexicanician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:56 AM

That sound very interesting! I like loop pedals. My first one was the first version of the Boomerang back in 1998! And now I have the Boss Rc-50. I still have to use it in a live situation or with my band but I kind of like the idea of playing live without extra help when I'm playing with other musicians but I should give it a try!

Kai, do you have any recordings of what you do? :whistling:

#4 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:06 AM

That sound very interesting! I like loop pedals. My first one was the first version of the Boomerang back in 1998! And now I have the Boss Rc-50. I still have to use it in a live situation or with my band but I kind of like the idea of playing live without extra help when I'm playing with other musicians but I should give it a try!

Kai, do you have any recordings of what you do? :whistling:

Nothing I want released yet, but soon. (This summer.) I do have some examples of me & my droids* in solo mode, but not with the trio, nor any good ones with the droids and the fretless, except for this video demo which only has fretless at the very beginning and end.

(*The Kaoss family and the Tenori-on. My association with droids goes way back to the mid-80s when a collection consisting of a 303 Bassline, a Boss Drumatix and a Sequential Circuits Pro-One, which had a spiffy arpeggiator, sync'ed together with control voltage (they predated MIDI) comprised the "fifth Beatle" in our four-person band. We referred to it as the droid farm, and Norm the guitarist, who programmed them, as the droidmaster. We had a Peavey PA dedicated to them whose speakers we pointed at Liz the drummer so she could stay in sync. She herself had a Linndrum triggered by Simmons pads as part of her drum set, but didn't use the sequencer part of it. Ah, 80s tech.)
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson

#5 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:20 AM

[...]
My association with droids goes way back to the mid-80s when a collection consisting of a 303 Bassline, a Boss Drumatix and a Sequential Circuits Pro-One, which had a spiffy arpeggiator, sync'ed together with control voltage (they predated MIDI) comprised the "fifth Beatle" in our four-person band. We referred to it as the droid farm, and Norm the guitarist, who programmed them, as the droidmaster. We had a Peavey PA dedicated to them whose speakers we pointed at Liz the drummer so she could stay in sync. She herself had a Linndrum triggered by Simmons pads as part of her drum set, but didn't use the sequencer part of it. Ah, 80s tech.)

Sounds fun, but what was your haircut like?

#6 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

[...]
My association with droids goes way back to the mid-80s when a collection consisting of a 303 Bassline, a Boss Drumatix and a Sequential Circuits Pro-One, which had a spiffy arpeggiator, sync'ed together with control voltage (they predated MIDI) comprised the "fifth Beatle" in our four-person band. We referred to it as the droid farm, and Norm the guitarist, who programmed them, as the droidmaster. We had a Peavey PA dedicated to them whose speakers we pointed at Liz the drummer so she could stay in sync. She herself had a Linndrum triggered by Simmons pads as part of her drum set, but didn't use the sequencer part of it. Ah, 80s tech.)

Sounds fun, but what was your haircut like?

Short on the sides, long on top, and at one point I grew a ponytail. The pattern baldness hadn't kicked in yet. I wore skinny ties, too. Somewhere (haven't found it yet) there is a promo shot of us (in '84) that shows the early version. These shots (I'm on the left playing keys) don't really show it clearly:

1985, Kenny's Castaway's Bleecker St., NYC (you can see the Pro-One over Norm's left shoulder):

Posted Image Posted Image

1988, 8 x 10 Club, Baltimore (Liz had left the band, and her replacement was not inspiring; I left soon after this):

Posted Image

#7 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:49 PM

[...]
I wore skinny ties, too. Somewhere (haven't found it yet) there is a promo shot of us (in '84) that shows the early version.
[...]

It's fun that you have the pics. I think that, luckily for me, there are no surviving photos of me from that era with anything but an acoustic guitar in my hands. In other words, no photos of me in a denim vest with no shirt.

Oh and were the skinny ties black or were they pink?

On to the real subject, how are you finding the Tenori-on? It looks really interesting to me, but I haven't figured out how I would work with it creatively and such.

#8 Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Lesser Gaggle

• Mexicanician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

Kai, do you have any recordings of what you do? :unsure:

Nothing I want released yet, but soon. (This summer.) I do have some examples of me & my droids* in solo mode, but not with the trio, nor any good ones with the droids and the fretless, except for this video demo which only has fretless at the very beginning and end.

(*The Kaoss family and the Tenori-on. My association with droids goes way back to the mid-80s when a collection consisting of a 303 Bassline, a Boss Drumatix and a Sequential Circuits Pro-One, which had a spiffy arpeggiator, sync'ed together with control voltage (they predated MIDI) comprised the "fifth Beatle" in our four-person band. We referred to it as the droid farm, and Norm the guitarist, who programmed them, as the droidmaster. We had a Peavey PA dedicated to them whose speakers we pointed at Liz the drummer so she could stay in sync. She herself had a Linndrum triggered by Simmons pads as part of her drum set, but didn't use the sequencer part of it. Ah, 80s tech.)

I like it! Would love to destroy it by soloing with my fretless all over it!!! :blush: So I will in the privacy of my home!! :whistling:

#9 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

Kai,
The vids are very cool. I just got a chance to actually watch them while waiting for boring programs to finish running. I think you should subtitle music for space ports "Kraftwerk-in-a-box."

Really nice job on the production of the main video. The only thing is, you're going to need two of you now if you want to play guitar. Or, you could just mount all of the "pads" on your guitar/body.

P.S. What camera did you use to film the main video?

#10 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

Kai,
The vids are very cool. I just got a chance to actually watch them while waiting for boring programs to finish running. I think you should subtitle music for space ports "Kraftwerk-in-a-box."

Really nice job on the production of the main video. The only thing is, you're going to need two of you now if you want to play guitar. Or, you could just mount all of the "pads" on your guitar/body.

P.S. What camera did you use to film the main video?

I'm actually getting better at strategically choreographing the droidmastering to allow for sections where I can stretch out on guitar. The demo vid was a highly compressed version in which I barely had time to execute various droid moves. These pieces normally run 10-15, even 20 minutes.

I have contemplated velcro-ing two of the little guys to the Godin, but I don't want to muck up the finish with the glue. Maybe Blutack would work. But it would mean a humungous snake for the power and stereo RCAs to them in addition to the stick-on piezo and the Roland 13-pin cable. I'd rather hunch over the table DJ-style.

I'm not sure what cameras Michael used; he's a pro photog/videographer, and used one actual digital video camera on a sliding stand, and two handheld digital SLRs in video mode. Multiple takes went into it. The audio I recorded off my board into my Edirol @ 48k, 24-bit WAV format, which is what he specified.

The other vids were just done with the built-in iSight on my MacBook (awkwardly positioned), recording into its built-in line in, straight into Quicktime Pro, except for one on which I used a third-party (Logitech) USB webcam (you can tell by the shitty, pixellated vid quality. Looks as if it was done on a PC. Harrumph...)

#11 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

Looks as if it was done on a PC. Harrumph...)

:whistling:

So, some of the video was done with digital SLR's? Interesting. It looks great.

How about instead of putting them on your guitar, you put them on a body suit? You could be a sort of musical gargoyle (as in "Snow Crash").

#12 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

Looks as if it was done on a PC. Harrumph...)

:whistling:

So, some of the video was done with digital SLR's? Interesting. It looks great.

How about instead of putting them on your guitar, you put them on a body suit? You could be a sort of musical gargoyle (as in "Snow Crash").

Or I could just wear a velcro suit la David Letterman.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users