2 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

Research into historic methods of musical practice, based upon the classical Greek approach to tetrachords and mathematical divisions of string lengths and timing durations.
See:
http://www.academia....aft_version_2b_
And:
http://www.academia....proach_to_Music

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

The links above redirect to my draft manuscripts on musical theory. I created these after struggling to find literature on advanced fretless guitar technique and further training myself to play cello and violin using the classical Latin and Greek sources indicated in Leopold Mozart's violin treatise and those alleged to have contributed to Paganini's technical prowess. I owe much to the translations of Ptolemy, Nicomachus, Aristoxenus and others contained in Barker's handbook on the harmony of Greek Acoustic Science. I have perhaps differed with his interpretations and footnotes in ascribing more usefulness to these classical materials, and especially in my mathematical treatment of Aristoxenus. I trust some of you may find this research useful. Here follow brief summaries of the two manuscripts.

The Persistence of Harmony is an attempt to frame modern harmonic practices in relation to their historic development, leading modern musicians trained only in twelve tone harmonic practices to a better understanding of the varieties of historic intonations. Notable topics include the systems of symmetrical harmony inherent in twelve tone music, the baroque systems of 55 commas to the octave, further 'microtonal' systems such as the systems of 22 and 66 shrutis, and an historical introduction to the differences between greater and lesser whole tones and also diatonic and chromatic semitones.

An Approach to Harmony elaborates upon the above, portraying the approach to mathematical string division utilised in the theory of classical Greek music. The complex mathematical definitions in these systems require some study of the basic principles and are of great importance to issues of intonation.

Please enjoy these drafts, if you would like to obtain further copies of the completed manuscripts please get in touch with me. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards and happy harmonising,
Daniel

#3 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for posting these Daniel, I look forward to reading them over the next few days.

And a big welcome to the Forum!

Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users