6 replies to this topic

#1 WolfV11

WolfV11

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:01 AM

Hey guys! Gonna keep this brief for now since Im really tired and done feel like typing much. Thought yall would like to see some pics of my newly defretted Ibanez 7 string!

Out come the evil little metal bastards!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Epoxy Time!
Posted Image
Filled!
Posted Image
And here she is!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its not 100% finished, I might want to go back and touch up the epoxy job. At the moment, after all the sanding I really didnt want to tape it down, start mixing the epoxy again, and sand again. I just wanted to string it up and start playing her.
And I simply Love Love Love this thing. I'll be taking her to the Open Jam at the NYC FGF in September (sure as hell beats the Tokai waxed filled thing I played at the open jam in 06, and Ive gotten a bit better on the fretless since then too I might add :whistling: )

And too anyone wondering, there was no issue regarding the binding on the fretboard during the fret removal process.

It really plays well, I cannot emphasize it enough. I NEED new pickups though, some Seymour Duncan Active 7 String Blackouts shall be dropped in there. Always wanted a fretless with actives.

Currently strung up with 9-46 with a 59 for the Low B, tuned standard, round wounds. Im about to start experimenting with some different gauges.

This Axe will be heavily used on a bunch of new 100% fretless recordings Im working on. I feel that my fretless chops and intonation are at a comfortable place now to start recording some serious fretless material.

Thanx for looking guys!
12 Ain't enough...
www.ericjacksonarts.com

#2 Darkmetallica

Darkmetallica

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:48 AM

that's awesome :blush: it really looks good :whistling:, wanting to do it to an electric guitar, guess i gotta start lookin out for a cheap one :D

#3 ren

ren

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

Hey naise, welcome to the fretless ibanez 7 stringers club, lemmi know how the different guages work for you so i can try them out aswell.
how are the 9's workin out? Im on 11s thinkin bout downsizing abit.

#4 willisbored1234

willisbored1234

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

the binding looks cool without the frets

#5 WolfV11

WolfV11

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:30 PM

The 9's are eh, ok.

Not as good as I thought they would be. Ive used 9's (even 8's) before on 6 string fretless guitars with some decent results.

The sound is not bad, and thats not what Im having the issue with, its the feel.
It feels, tiny, weak, puny. Perhaps its the wider neck of the 7, it creates a bigger feeling, and just having these tiny strings on there is just kinda, well, its like having thin racing tires on a huge SUV.
Its also annoying while playing legato runs. The strings want to bend with my fingers, its really irritating.

I usually use 10's on fretted, and thats what I'm going to do next, either 10's or 11's on the fretless.

The sustain is quite nice however. Im actually thinking about doing Carvin 7 string pickups instead of the blackouts. Sustainiac is planning on making 7 string models soon, so thats what Im going to go with. A carvin 7 in the bridge and then the sustaniac in the neck.
EDIT=perhaps when sustainiac releases their 7 string driver, I might use a Blackout in the bridge since I found out that the sustainiac driver works as an active pickup when not in sustain mode.
12 Ain't enough...
www.ericjacksonarts.com

#6 ren

ren

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

The 9's are eh, ok.

Not as good as I thought they would be. Ive used 9's (even 8's) before on 6 string fretless guitars with some decent results.

The sound is not bad, and thats not what Im having the issue with, its the feel.
It feels, tiny, weak, puny. Perhaps its the wider neck of the 7, it creates a bigger feeling, and just having these tiny strings on there is just kinda, well, its like having thin racing tires on a huge SUV.
Its also annoying while playing legato runs. The strings want to bend with my fingers, its really irritating.

I usually use 10's on fretted, and thats what I'm going to do next, either 10's or 11's on the fretless.

The sustain is quite nice however. Im actually thinking about doing Carvin 7 string pickups instead of the blackouts. Sustainiac is planning on making 7 string models soon, so thats what Im going to go with. A carvin 7 in the bridge and then the sustaniac in the neck.
EDIT=perhaps when sustainiac releases their 7 string driver, I might use a Blackout in the bridge since I found out that the sustainiac driver works as an active pickup when not in sustain mode.

aie i use 10s on the fretted too, right now the 11's feel like fretted 9s. or so.
better just go active all the way i guess, dont know if any one has this but the strings seem to get some sort of pull from regular pickups maybe due to lower action. so active is teh way to go fo me at least. and i hear pretty good reviews of the black outs on ss.org. anything but emg 7s, dont wanna be cuttin out more wood then great justice requires.

#7 WolfV11

WolfV11

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:09 AM

Yea, less magnetic pull was the main idea with the actives.
I would love EMG's, but I have no desire to rout it out.
12 Ain't enough...
www.ericjacksonarts.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users