No replies to this topic

#1 danstearns

danstearns

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:20 AM

for anyone who might be interested, i found this thing buried in a box the other day.it dates all the way back from when I was interested in Guitar player mag,as they used to run a "lick of the month" type thing, and I wrote this for that (though it was never accepted).
anyway, it was funny for me to see it again, and I can tell I was listening to a lot of Brouwer at the time

Posted Image

anyway, made this pretty rough and raw take i made with my new Olympus LS-10, a very cool field recorder i'm still trying to learn how to best use--and FWiW, it's a lot easier to play on nylon string with the wider string spacing as regards all the open notes and i recorded it on my son's old fret-buzzy 7/8 size steel string. So while it's probably a little more ragged than i'd prefer,it's still "there" and it should give you an idea of what it's supposed to sound like....though the last measure of quintuplets are quite a bit too much up on the beat and too fast/hyper, but i kind of like it that better anyway

http://tinyurl.com/ok6sr7

i guess there are a lot of different ways you could notate these kinds of things, but i think here it's the phrasing that is mostly being altered inside of what are pretty straightforward measures of 4/4, so all the 5:4s aren't really better set in something like 5/4. There are also a lot of different opinions regarding these types of complex rhythms, but I think for solo instrumental writing their exact precision is not so important as their overall intent, but with any kind of ensemble rhythmic unison it's obviously important to play it as "straight" as possible .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users