51 replies to this topic

#1 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:35 PM

I think i should seperate this from the "fretless electric" thread...

Well, as some of you know, i've been partly succesful with my previous experiments. I'll keep experimenting when i have the free time (after i get my compilation track ready that is) , but here's a link that should get you started:

Project Guitar forum - Sustainer thread - page 45

You don't have the read all the 46 pages there, just start from page 45, psw has given some good tips about a DIY sustainer in his last few posts...

emre
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#2 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:54 AM

You don't have the read all the 46 pages there, just start from page 45, psw has given some good tips about a DIY sustainer in his last few posts...

Phew, just spent a couple of hours on that thread - great ideas, I'm sure someone will push the boundaries there, interesting on the rare earth magnets, thought they would be too strong and influence string vibration.

Why is it so dangerous to cut rare earth magnets? The ones I have are encased in a chrome finish shell, believe the actual material is quite brittle.

Good luck with the project Emre, sustain devices work incredibly well with fretless guitars.

Jeff
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#3 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:35 AM

Why is it so dangerous to cut rare earth magnets?

Pete (psw) says it's because of the forces within a magnet. And i remember reading in some science book that the magnetic force is the most powerful force to exist in nature, not sure though.

However, the interesting thing is, even the primary school physics books talk about breaking magnets (the law that you'll always end up with magnets with two poles, no matter how many times you break a magnet), if it was so dangerous to break 'em, i don't think they would put that information in those books that a child is supposed to read. But again, maybe they would :D

I do wonder the actual reason too, maybe it's time for some web-searching :D

e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.

#4 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:32 AM

The book would be from when magnets were not that powerful. The rare earth ones I have are nearly impossible to pull apart.
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#5 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:19 PM

I think i've found out the reason:

Rare Earth Magnets are fragile and will break if not handled with care. They are made from a powder and molded into their specific shape. These special processes and materials are necessary to embue them with the incredible strength that they are so well known for. Be very careful with broken magnets. The broken fragments are usually very sharp and will often fly through the air like shrapnel.

e

#6 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:09 PM

Wow, they are a weapon!

I've had a few finger pinches and they do hurt. The article is right, even a small one will destroy a laptop disk drive.

I heard of one guy buying a big magnet from a shop, leaving with the item in a plastic bag, the magnet promptly attached itself to the next car he walked past, and no one could remove it.

Also great for wiping credit cards, hotel door keys and for stopping analog watches. As used by Uri Geller.

--j

#7 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:00 PM

A guy's posted a tutorial on DIY sustainers at the project guitar forum:
Follow this link.

e

#8 psw

psw

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:55 AM

Hi There Fretless fellows...PSW from the infamous PG Sustainer Thread Here... B)

G'day transient/emre...yep, the DIY Sustainer is finally a reality...still a few quirks to iron out, but I'm getting superb results in a strat with this driver:

Posted Image

Here it is on the guitar...it's the black neck pickup, the sensitivity control is the first knob at the rear...
Posted Image

Here is the DIY driver, out of it's shell....
Posted Image

And here's a picture of the controls...on/off switch, harmonic switch, blue LED and one control knob....
Posted Image

This is a combination of a normal single coil passive neck pickup when the sustainer is off, and a driver (the thin blue section on the top of the device) to run the sustainer. The magnet is a normal Ceramic Pickup magnet but the original poles have been replaced with a blade....

I'm getting a powerful response on all strings and it wasn't that difficult to make...I'm very proud of the device and am having a lot of fun playing with it...it's kind of addictive.... B)

The sustainer thread is so long because it's been going a long time and covered a lot of side experiments ( true polyphonic hex drivers, etc)...Even I wouldn't try reading it all, now.... :(

There are a few people making different versions of the device...most are drivers that are slim enough to be surface mounted...it would even be possible to use it on a steel string acoustic I imagine but I've yet to try it using piezo pickups...the driver designs are certainly getting small enough now to do that, especially with the use of RE Neodyminium Magnets to reduce size further...

As for Rare earth magnets....

Phew, just spent a couple of hours on that thread - great ideas, I'm sure someone will push the boundaries there, interesting on the rare earth magnets, thought they would be too strong and influence string vibration.

They are really strong for their size, and yes, they are the most powerful natural force...however, the magnets I typically use are only 3mmx2mm. They have the same power of a much bigger magnet but are much smaller...and that's the advantage...they can be used to make very small magnetic devices with the same magnetic power as larger ones...

Why is it so dangerous to cut rare earth magnets? The ones I have are encased in a chrome finish shell, believe the actual material is quite brittle.

Yes they could be a weapon, I guess...but don't try it please (and no, I haven't tried it either so I'm not trying to spoil anyones fun here).

They are brittle, but powerful...imagine something thats so strong that it couldn't be removed from a car...now imagine that this is brittle and you try to break it (by say hitting it with a hammer, or whatever...no don't try that)...ok, so the individual sharp little bits suddenly become individual magnets with individual poles...the result will inevitably be that all the sharp bits of shrapnel will be repelled out at such a force as to cause serious injury...if not death (with those large ones)...even my little ones would probably take out an eye...so seriously don't think of doing it...

That said...while they are expensive, they're not for the power they give. So a small magnet like the ones I use cost less than an alnico of the same strength...There should be no need to break them as they come in all sizes and the larger ones will suck the strings right off a guitar!! If you get small ones and you need more power, just stick them together to double their size. Also, if you want to buy them, a quantity of 100 are often cheaper than smaller numbers anyway...

Anyway...Not a fretless guitarist myself...got a fretless bass...but I love the sound so good on you guys for following that dream...

psw

#9 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:41 PM

Welcome Pete,

So you've finally installed it on the guitar. Looks pretty good, doesn't have a DIY vibe to it :D

Have you solved the high E problem?

Don't worry about breaking the magnets, it was just curiosity, no one's trying to break 'em. Unless of course i wanted to build a DIY bazooka :(

As for me, i finally have some free time. I'll install the piezo saddles on my fretted guitar first, then defret the guitar, then start working on the sustainer. The current step is to build a preamp for the piezo saddles before installing 'em...

e

#10 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:18 PM

As for me, i finally have some free time. I'll install the piezo saddles on my fretted guitar first, then defret the guitar, then start working on the sustainer. The current step is to build a preamp for the piezo saddles before installing 'em...

e

Emre - You'll not know what do do at nights now!

And welcome Pete, congrats on the sustainer, looks the business.

Jeff

#11 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:38 PM

Yeah, it always happens. I get so concentrated to complete a work that, i feel quite empty after it's finished, not knowing what to do with all the free time :( Takes a few days to adapt back to real life :ph34r:

e

#12 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:03 AM

Yeah, it always happens. I get so concentrated to complete a work that, i feel quite empty after it's finished, not knowing what to do with all the free time :D Takes a few days to adapt back to real life :ph34r:

e

There's plenty of follow up stuff - posters for the CD - launch party flyers....

Last night I showed the final artwork to a producer friend who asked the now standard question: "Who did this?" followed by "He can do my next project" - so I think there may be some serious work out there.

Its about time CD's got some good artwork.

Jeff

Wasn't this thread about sustainers? :(

#13 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:10 AM

Good to hear people liking the artwork :(

I think it is what scientists call the "Gaz effect", a new theory about time and space, which suggests that even with Gaz absent, his effect is so strong that it *bends* the forums... So powerful that even light itself can not escape the hijacking :D

e

#14 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:34 AM

Good to hear people liking the artwork :(

I think it is what scientists call the "Gaz effect", a new theory about time and space, which suggests that even with Gaz absent, his effect is so strong that it *bends* the forums... So powerful that even light itself can not escape the hijacking :D

e

Could there be a new entry for the dictionary:

Gazooned?

--j

#15 Villager

Villager

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:36 AM

Or Gazpachoed?
(Souper!) V
Fret not thyself - Proverbs 24:19

0 user(s) are reading this topic