#46 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:23 PM

You could probably sum it up with:

Acoustic is OK when the oil runs out, but until then... :)
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#47 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:46 PM

You could probably sum it up with:

Acoustic is OK when the oil runs out, but until then... :(

and then it's back to gut strings.... :)

#48 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:49 PM

You could probably sum it up with:Acoustic is OK when the oil runs out, but until then... :(

Meeeeooooooowwwwwww! Actually, I meant to say "here, kitty, kitty...!"
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#49 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:51 PM

An actual piano is a bitch to tune, but with software I can tune a quality sampled one to anything I want. Sure, they're not "true to the original", but I don't care. If the sound is beautiful (by my idiosyncratic standards, yes, but all such standards are subjective), I'm happy.

i've been using 'valotti' for most of the piano cues in my last project...
kudos to Native Instruments' Akoustik Piano...

which reminds me... how is lil' miss oven coming along ?

#50 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

You could probably sum it up with:Acoustic is OK when the oil runs out, but until then... :lol:

Beat me to it, damn you, any useful guides as to how to process cat gut?

And get away with it. :(
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#51 Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:28 PM

http://www.redanorchestra.org/

These orchestral guys are embracing other non-acoustic media forms to reenergize public interest and their orchesra has even performed in the virtual reality of Second Life.
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#52 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:19 AM

An actual piano is a bitch to tune, but with software I can tune a quality sampled one to anything I want. Sure, they're not "true to the original", but I don't care. If the sound is beautiful (by my idiosyncratic standards, yes, but all such standards are subjective), I'm happy.

i've been using 'valotti' for most of the piano cues in my last project...
kudos to Native Instruments' Akoustik Piano...

which reminds me... how is lil' miss oven coming along ?

L'il Miss Scale Oven is still stuck in learner's permit mode, haven't taken it out on the autobahn yet. One of this year's "school's out for summer" projects is to finish integrating it into my workflow and start posting results of pieces I've altered and/or newly created with it.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#53 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:06 AM

Britney Spears' music. Okay, I can criticize it for being commercial, unoriginal, and derivative and wish a certain torturous death upon anyone who buys her cd.

:D

One thing I can say in Britney's defense in the "good vs valuable" debate, is that her video performances still remain marginally pleasurable and therefore have some value with the sound turned off, which is more than you can say for some old crusty hippy fella playing his art.....

:lol:

(Well I found it funny anyway.... :lol: )

"here, kitty, kitty...!"

Kai! You didn't say pussy.... :lol:

Will the spirit of bollocks be okay in my abscence....? :D

Is there any preference for breed of pussy for making gut strings?

Do strings made from ginger pussies have a more aggressive tone?

When oil runs out, will there be a vegetarian option on gut strings?

(just so you don't miss me)
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#54 Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:03 AM

I've heard that in 10 minutes she did US $25k damage to the transmission of a new Ferrari
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#55 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:02 AM

I've heard that in 10 minutes she did US $25k damage to the transmition of a new Ferrari

well, after the paparazzi pictures of her pussy, I'd think she'd damage anything with a stick....(shift)

(I didn't start it!!!!! :lol: I'm just running with what I'm fed in the thread!!!)

#56 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:20 AM

When oil runs out, will there be a vegetarian option on gut strings?

silk and hemp come to mind...

#57 Edward Powell

Edward Powell

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:52 AM

At that time 11 years old, I was continuously playing my tennis raquet to Kiss and BTO.

:D "takin' care of biznis!" ....or not.... :D :lol:

(Sorry, all out of pithy commentary at the mo')

Actually - while I think few folks explicitly try to impose their (superior) tastes on others, often the attitude is all too apparent, even in the absence of any commentary. Your dad sounds like one of the exceptions and someone who personifies the patience I mentioned.

But I gotta say I don't agree with the categorical statement that "...acoustic music is really the best because it is the most real'. What does "real" mean here? As I've said before, the sound waves coming out of a speaker cone are as real as any others. (And people hear most acoustic music through speakers now anyway, though of course there are some ensembles and orchestras that still play without any amplification.) Electric and electronic instruments are relatively new but I don't think they're inherently any less subtle in their expressive potential than acoustic ones. A harpsichord is all acoustic but it isn't capable of volume nuance. It's mechanically binary for that parameter. I'd rather play a sample of one that gives me the 0-127 MIDI velocity range. An actual piano is a bitch to tune, but with software I can tune a quality sampled one to anything I want. Sure, they're not "true to the original", but I don't care. If the sound is beautiful (by my idiosyncratic standards, yes, but all such standards are subjective), I'm happy.

:lol: Anyhow, you see where my 'programming' has come from (at least he meant well :D )
I discovered something recently - that when I play an acoustic solo concert with my ragmakamtar, if I am micked and thru a good system, my instrument sounds HUGE and absolutely inspires me to a much higher level of playing - - - I have almost decided simply not to perform without amplification except in extremely small spaces (so there, finally words from a purist :lol:)

Another one of my father's statements that locked into my thinking as an unshakable truth was "dance music never has the depth that listening music has".
I got into a lot of trouble once with my girlfriend over this one. I was so convinced that it was true, I was just telling her, hey wake up, I'm the musician here and I know what I am talking about so LISTEN UP! But (she is a dancer by the way), she would not give up her side of the arguement and we had such a fight about it. . . . . finally she convinced me that the statement is of course non-sense and very often dance music is more sophisticated than listening music.

For me, the quest for the truth, between ingrained layers of my parents' opinions and beliefs is lifelong and very worthwhile.
www.edwardpowell.com

#58 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:27 AM

silk and hemp come to mind...

Damn! There goes that joke...

.....unless....

... some mad, extreme animal rights campaigners stand for "freedom for silkworms" (I managed to convince an ex of mine that they farmed angora rabbits for wool by attaching huge electrodes the their little bunny ears and shocking them till all of their fur fell off and they died slowly :lol: )

and...

the UK government is farting with the idea of reclassifying cannabis as they can't think of anything else to mess with - that'll fuck up the hemp strings in the UK...

Now when you buy these hemp strings do they come in mild, lebanese, morrocan black and extreme skunk weed for acoustic heavy metal :lol:

Does CHC absorb into the fingertips....?

ahem...

#59 Edward Powell

Edward Powell

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:19 AM

Posted Image
www.edwardpowell.com

#60 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

the UK government is farting with the idea of reclassifying cannabis as they can't think of anything else to mess with - that'll fuck up the hemp strings in the UK...

Now when you buy these hemp strings do they come in mild, lebanese, morrocan black and extreme skunk weed for acoustic heavy metal :lol:

Does CHC absorb into the fingertips....?

ahem...

The classification row is beyond me.

First the Chief Police Officers recommend declassification from B to C.

Everything goes well, the amount of available on the streets is drastically reduced, the price goes through the roof.

There have been many recent hauls and it looks like the tide is turning, the Police are having a lot of success.

Then they want classification back to B because it sends out the wrong message?

Everythings working fine, reclassification might turn the tide the other way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users