#1 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:23 PM

One of the most common questions asked is; "Where can I buy a fretless guitar?"

Well the fretless links section of the website points to manufacturer's and luthiers.

That's a start, but where are the fretless guitars in the shops?

So its a bit of a request, if you know any shops, anywhere, actually stocking fretless guitars we can start posting them on the website.

We've already made a start with Paradiddles in the UK, but what about further afield?

All contributions gratefully accepted.

Jah
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#2 ogami

ogami

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:13 PM

in Paris , place pigalle's California Guitar has surfreter....but they don't let people try it anymore!

The say people damage the fingerboard....well so if you don't want to buy one..then you can't try one...so stupid.

#3 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:54 PM

in Paris , place pigalle's California Guitar has surfreter....but they don't let people try it anymore!

The say people damage the fingerboard....well so if you don't want to buy one..then you can't try one...so stupid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very. Now if I were a rich man (cue bad Tevye singing voice imitation), I'd buy it just to lend back to them on the condition they display it prominently with explicit instructions to let any and all play it.

When I get settled in Montréal, I'll do a thorough search amongst the shops there and see what, if anything (besides the obvious Godins), is available.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#4 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:10 PM

I did search the Pigalle Guitar district recently and didn't see the surfretter, maybe they hid it away in a cupboard marked "Don't Open 'Till Doomsday"

:wub: Jah
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#5 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:34 PM

Rumour has it that they're keeping the actual guitar in a safe, while the display model is made of cardboard and strategically placed under such lighting conditions that it tricks people into thinking it is the actual guitar, which explains why you're not allowed to touch it.

e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#6 Guest_Guest_ogami_*_*

Guest_Guest_ogami_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:38 AM

in fact, the guitar is hidden....

The fretless guitar is such a victim of stereotyped ideas (like "you can't do anything else than soloing" ..) it really doesn't help to make a idea on the guitar, plus considering the price of the guitar i think this is just not fair.

In france there's (was..) a hype among a lot of guitarists: buying a surfreter, you know Vigier fretted guitars (the excalibur series) are well rated by players but stand as "series" guitar in opposition to their former top line guitars (the arpege and passion series that still exist as basses).
So the surfreter is seen as the "state of the art" excalibur+ people that listen to bumblefoot want to do the same...

They buy it and 4 months later the guitar is sold, just in the 3 last months, on the same site i saw 5 surfreter (mostly "special" versions the most expensive) sold and this month 2 are sold..
the reason is always the same "too hard, not enough time to work on it"...

but HOW would you want to be aware of that is you can't try it???

Both stores and Vigier don't help that much, surfreter are not given for pre-orders in stores so you can only find fretted vigiers(still only most popular excaliburs models) and no surfreter, the surfreter is only on order...

2700 euros for a guitar that requires a lot of work, has special tones (it doesn't sound like a fretted one) and requires even more technique to sustain enough or sound well ....Well i won't buy one without being able to try it for hours.

#7 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:17 PM

Well I strolled into my local(ish) guitar shop the other day (Sounds Great Music in Heald Green, Manchester) and the guitar centre manager, Rick, said, hey Jeff, Have I got a guitar for you!

Well it turned out to be a Surfretter Special at £2300, sadly I had to say he was a couple of years too late as I already had one.

But he did say he had stocked it to give a comprehensive coverage of the Vigier range, and I must say the Vigiers as a fretted guitar are stunning. Just for sheer play and feel.

I like the store as they do have a large stock of top range guitars, and there are always fret-pullers. :wub:

#8 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:19 AM

Well I strolled into my local(ish) guitar shop the other day (Sounds Great Music in Heald Green, Manchester)
and the guitar centre manager, Rick, said, hey Jeff, Have I got a guitar for you!

Well it turned out to be a Surfretter Special at £2300, sadly I had to say he was a couple of years too late as I already had one.

at 2915 Euros (= 2300 BP) not really a bargain....

#9 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:01 PM

Well I strolled into my local(ish) guitar shop the other day (Sounds Great Music in Heald Green, Manchester)
and the guitar centre manager, Rick, said, hey Jeff, Have I got a guitar for you!

I guess that's a starting price, what do they sell for in Europe?

(Mine was £800, and it was 4 years back, time has flown)

#10 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:50 PM

i don't know what the surfreters are going for in the eu... never saw one anywhere in germany...

got mine directly from vigier and was really lucky to buy my 2nd surfreter special
in perfect condition from a collector at 1200 Euros.

I guess that's a starting price, what do they sell for in Europe?

(Mine was £800, and it was 4 years back, time has flown)

#11 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:13 PM

i don't know what the surfreters are going for in the eu... never saw one anywhere in germany...

got mine directly from vigier and was really lucky to buy my 2nd surfreter special
in perfect condition from a collector at 1200 Euros.

A US site has the Supra / Special list price at $2669 / $3220

Launch price in the UK 1998 was £980 for the Supra.

Specials were around £1200 in 2004, then a price hike took them up to £1700 ??? in 2005.

#12 moonmoon

moonmoon

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

I got the information.
Life is full of ups and downs.
dvd to ipod

0 user(s) are reading this topic