63 replies to this topic

#1 Edward Powell

Edward Powell

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

Let's face it, what do musicians want these days? SUCCESS, right? And what does it mean to be successful these days? Usually the most successful musicians bragg in their bios about how many concerts they played in how many far flung lands, and how many CDs (chunks of plastic) they have produced, etc etc etc... all things which require destruction to the BIG E, especially frequent air travel, and producing large numbers of CDS.

How do we reach our dreams of success, and still sleep at night without a guilty BIG E conscience?
www.edwardpowell.com

#2 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:35 PM

Judge your success on your own terms?

The success you describe sounds more like the marketing departments view of success.

I have the impression that isn't your view of success either.

Personally, I wish we still had clubs that had bands with long term engagements.

I think we need to view environmentalism with balance too. I grew up in Colorado. So, my view of environmentalism was of the keep it pristine sort. Then we lived in Shropshire in England. This had a huge effect on my view of the environment. There is absolutely nothing pristine about anywhere in Britain. Yet, that little island, with nearly 70 million people on it, is more alive than all but a couple of place I've been in the US. We don't want to destroy the planet for ourselves or those who come after us. But, we still need to live.

#3 Edward Powell

Edward Powell

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:54 AM

Judge your success on your own terms?

The success you describe sounds more like the marketing departments view of success.

I guess the dillemna I see is that even when we have a different ideal of success - such as, 'just to make high quality music' - then we need 'time' to work on our music... and time is money, therefore we need financial stability. So there is no way around it, whether we agree with the marketing departments or not, if we want to be 'successful', this success must to a certain degree, also be in the area of marketing - - - unless we are already independently wealthy.

...and it seems clear to me that those musicians who are taking the most professional airplane rides are almost automatically considered the most professional and therefore deserve the best gigs for the most amount of money. Otherwise why would most musicians try so hard to paint a picture of themselves as continuously living in airports? :wub:
www.edwardpowell.com

#4 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:29 AM

Usually the most successful musicians bragg in their bios about how many concerts they played in how many far flung lands, and how many CDs (chunks of plastic) they have produced, etc etc etc... all things which require destruction to the BIG E, especially frequent air travel, and producing large numbers of CDS.

who ??? examples ?

#5 Edward Powell

Edward Powell

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:37 AM

Usually the most successful musicians bragg in their bios about how many concerts they played in how many far flung lands, and how many CDs (chunks of plastic) they have produced, etc etc etc... all things which require destruction to the BIG E, especially frequent air travel, and producing large numbers of CDS.

who ??? examples ?

most commercially successful musicians do this it seems...

I am also not saying there is anything wrong with that -although the word 'bragg' does have negative connotations- because of course you must be 'good' if people are paying to fly you all over the world - - - but the question is: how do we reconcile this with environmental degradation and survival on this planet?
www.edwardpowell.com

#6 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

who ??? examples ?

most commercially successful musicians do this it seems...

I am also not saying there is anything wrong with that -although the word 'bragg' does have negative connotations- because of course you must be 'good' if people are paying to fly you all over the world - - - but the question is: how do we reconcile this with environmental degradation and survival on this planet?

even 'commercially unsuccessful' musicians publish their itineraries and discographies... even if they pay their own flights to go to ny or a'dam, right... ? would you rather travel 2 days by bus than taking the 2 hour plane ride ?

re:cd's... they're on their way out anyway... so no worries there...

#7 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:20 AM

I am also not saying there is anything wrong with that -although the word 'bragg' does have negative connotations- because of course you must be 'good' if people are paying to fly you all over the world

you don't have to be necessarily 'good' but most of the times you have to have a 'value' (commercially or artistically or what-not) for people spending money on you... unless you have a rich patron who can afford you... like in the good ole times...

#8 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:21 AM

but the question is: how do we reconcile this with environmental degradation and survival on this planet?

Wouldn't the stock answer go something like "Well, it's okay for us to do it - cause we're like 'getting the message out' but you guys need to like, stop flying and 'cause your killing the planet dudes......"

Everyone who has brazillian rosewood in their guitars should shoot themselves :wub:

:(

would you rather travel 2 days by bus than taking the 2 hour plane ride ?

Or 2 days with the shame of travelling in a toyota prius :lol:
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#9 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

Or 2 days with the shame of travelling in a toyota prius :wub:

or 2 days on a mule.... :lol:

#10 Edward Powell

Edward Powell

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

Or 2 days with the shame of travelling in a toyota prius :wub:

or 2 days on a mule.... :(

Actually believe it or not I regularly travel 1 2 or more days on a bus. I actually enjoy long bus rides (as long as the bus is not packed with people eating sausages right next, and if there is not a TV screen blasting American KILLKILLKILL movies directly above my head :lol: ---i like to feel the distance when i travel. . . . however, before i paint too noble a picture of myself, i admit that part of it is that travel with a lot of luggage - often too much for a plane - and, if you would give me cheap enough flight i would probably take it.

The first thing Ross Daly did when he arrived on Crete was to buy a mule, and load it up with a sitar, rabab, and a lyra, and walk around the island village by village for 6 months. . . the funny thing about this story is that in the entire 6 months the instruments remained totally undamaged. On the last day of the 6 months, he met some friends driving on the road to Hania who offered to take the sitar by car the last leg of the journey to Hania - and guess what? The pumpkin got smashed in that car!!
www.edwardpowell.com

#11 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:26 AM

I actually enjoy long bus rides (as long as the bus is not packed with people eating sausages right next, and if there is not a TV screen blasting American KILLKILLKILL movies directly above my head :lol:

I like to feel comfort when I travel....

The scenario above reminds me of my worst plane flight ever, I HATE flying, not necessarily on just E grounds but.......

I had bought a seat for my guitar, I usually sit that in the middle and have an isle, but on this occaision the'd overbooked the flight so they took my guitar away and threw it in the hold (never did get a refund for the seat :( )

But anyway - I was determined to keep my isle seat, as the window was taken by a young mother and her noisy baby :angry: :angry: , but then, the cabin staff (who by this time had pissed me off no end by taking my guitar away from the seat in the middle) insited that I sat in the middle as they had a disabled person who needed an isle seat.

Okay I said.

The Disabled person turned out to be an enormous obese woman, who very polite, wanted to talk lots - which didn't help the fact that a large percent of her had to hang over onto my seat, and I couldn't lean the other way because that fucking baby was screaming it's tits off the whole time. Then the fat woman started to eat, and eat, so everything stank of garlic (I hate garlic) and sausages :lol: , and large woman sweat, and baby shit and all other food smells, and two different types of perfume - thank christ it was only a short 2 hour flight..... :angry: :angry: :angry:

To worsen the situation, my prostate back then was only the size of an average basket ball, but toilet was out due to the heft of the woman blocking the way with the tray down and packages of discusting smelly food everywhere....

I'd have quite enjoyed a "KILLKILLKILL" movie right then, but all I got was some soppy chick flick that made me even more psychotic.... :wub:

When we'd got to stanstead we ended up stuck on the runway as there wasn't a gate available, which turned out to be about 45 mins extra entrapment - had no patience left at this point, as I sat there wishing I was dead....

The final insult came as we had to wait for the entire plane to empty before they could sqeeze that fat bingewart out and free me - the baby was still venting it's lungs....

I invented a few new curse words that day.....

I think terrorists could be grossly misunderstood - maybe they're just trying to put people OUT of their misery...

Sorry for the rant - back to the ecomentalism.....
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#12 Edward Powell

Edward Powell

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

I actually enjoy long bus rides (as long as the bus is not packed with people eating sausages right next, and if there is not a TV screen blasting American KILLKILLKILL movies directly above my head :lol:

The scenario above reminds me of my worst plane flight ever, I HATE flying, not necessarily on just E grounds but.......

I had bought a seat for my guitar, I usually sit that in the middle and have an isle, but on this occaision the'd overbooked the flight so they took my guitar away and threw it in the hold (never did get a refund for the seat :( )

But anyway - I was determined to keep my isle seat, as the window was taken by a young mother and her noisy baby :angry: :angry: , but then, the cabin staff (who by this time had pissed me off no end by taking my guitar away from the seat in the middle) insited that I sat in the middle as they had a disabled person who needed an isle seat.

Okay I said.

The Disabled person turned out to be an enormous obese woman, who very polite, wanted to talk lots - which didn't help the fact that a large percent of her had to hang over onto my seat, and I couldn't lean the other way because that fucking baby was screaming it's tits off the whole time. Then the fat woman started to eat, and eat, so everything stank of garlic (I hate garlic) and sausages :lol: , and large woman sweat, and baby shit and all other food smells, and two different types of perfume - thank christ it was only a short 2 hour flight..... :angry: :angry: :angry:

To worsen the situation, my prostate back then was only the size of an average basket ball, but toilet was out due to the heft of the woman blocking the way with the tray down and packages of discusting smelly food everywhere....

I'd have quite enjoyed a "KILLKILLKILL" movie right then, but all I got was some soppy chick flick that made me even more psychotic.... :wub:

When we'd got to stanstead we ended up stuck on the runway as there wasn't a gate available, which turned out to be about 45 mins extra entrapment - had no patience left at this point, as I sat there wishing I was dead....

The final insult came as we had to wait for the entire plane to empty before they could sqeeze that fat bingewart out and free me - the baby was still venting it's lungs....

I invented a few new curse words that day.....

I think terrorists could be grossly misunderstood - maybe they're just trying to put people OUT of their misery...

Sorry for the rant - back to the ecomentalism.....

Bravo!

So often people look at me like I'm mad when I tell them how often I travel by bus, mostly cuz I think they imagine it is always as horrible as the above! I will tell them Gary's story in future!
...one month ago, I took a bus from Czech to Istanbul... on the Brno - Sofia portion there were only THREE people on the bus!!! The Sofia istanbul portion was more full, but I still had two seats. . . I even met a couple of Iranian women who want to organise a concert for me in Tehran... nice!
www.edwardpowell.com

#13 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:08 PM

...one month ago, I took a bus from Czech to Istanbul... on the Brno - Sofia portion there were only THREE people on the bus!!!
The Sofia istanbul portion was more full, but I still had two seats. . . I even met a couple of Iranian women who want to organise a concert for me in Tehran... nice!

more power to you if you have that kind of time. how long was the ride ?
sure you can do these things if you're on vacation or a field trip...
but not if you're on a tight schedule working/playing...

#14 Edward Powell

Edward Powell

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

...one month ago, I took a bus from Czech to Istanbul... on the Brno - Sofia portion there were only THREE people on the bus!!!
The Sofia istanbul portion was more full, but I still had two seats. . . I even met a couple of Iranian women who want to organise a concert for me in Tehran... nice!

more power to you if you have that kind of time. how long was the ride ?
sure you can do these things if you're on vacation or a field trip...
but not if you're on a tight schedule working/playing...

when there is a will, there is a way :wub:
www.edwardpowell.com

#15 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:37 PM

same here... especially travelling to gigs. getting around europe is a no brainer...
it's either train or plane. i avoid having to travel by car/bus unless it's short distances...
i don't own a car so when working locally i move around by cab if i have to haul around gear...

.......I think terrorists could be grossly misunderstood - maybe they're just trying to put people OUT of their misery...

since 9/11 international air travel has become a nightmare... unless you're able to fly businessclass/1st class...
flying into the us is a major pita...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users