62 replies to this topic

#31 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:00 PM

There was a bug that I added at the last minute yesterday. It made the first string not work unless you turned it on and off a couple of times. (Actually, I cross wired string 8's on/off switch with string 1's. Oops!)

It's fixed now. So, if you are playing with this, you should redownload and replace the AU.

Thanks,
Rob

#32 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

Thanks Rob! I haven't had a chance to play with it just yet (music laptop situation in flux, preparing to install Logic Studio soon, and school work once again fills large blocks of time.) But soon!
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#33 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:28 PM

As an experiment this morning, I put together a 1 string version of the Karplus-Strong algorithm in Bidule this morning. I have it set up to be used as a sympathetic string. So far, I've only done a quick test to make sure that it does work as a string. (I hit it with a white noise source and it plays.)

If anyone is interested in trying to get a really functional sympathetic string simulator going this way, I can post the .bidule file and then we could talk about how to extend it to get what you want.

This should make the idea available to people using VST and PC based hosts.

Rob

#34 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:38 PM

I've updated the AU. I fixed a problem with the default colors. They were supposed to be black. But, I had left the defaults set to yellow. Yellow on green didn't look good.

I also added a mono-to-stereo mode. So you can do mono in and stereo out. In this configuration, the balance control works like a real stereo pan. So, you can place the mono input signal and each of the mono generated string resonances anywhere in the stereo field. I like this mode. It's kinda cool to set up two chords with one panned hard left and the other panned hard right. Then put the input signal in the center.

The link is http://www.musicunfo..._xResonance.dmg

Rob

#35 Bapman

Bapman

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:15 PM

OH I want this plug !!!!!
:unsure:

i guess i have to update to the Gdamn Tiger GRRRRRR

with the risk of having a non functioning sound card

:ranting:
swimming with a hole in my body
"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

#36 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

OH I want this plug !!!!!

i guess i have to update to the Gdamn Tiger GRRRRRR

with the risk of having a non functioning sound card

Sorry about that. All of the incompatibilities between hosts and cards and plugins makes me really grumpy. It gets to be too much hassle. Makes me want a 4-track and an acoustic guitar :ranting:. It's one of the driving forces pushing me towards starting to develop outboard gear.

Try out the plug in Panther. It may work. I wish I still had a Panther machine around to test with. I used to keep one. But, I've ended up having to upgrade it to Leopard. So, now all I've got is Leopard and Tiger.

The Bidule path is another option. It is a bit more complicated to work with (you have to set notes by frequency, etc.). But it does work. I've extended it to use two strings now (in stereo) and it is reasonably easy to extend to use the number of strings you need.

Rob

#37 Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

Any Win VST version?
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#38 Bapman

Bapman

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:45 PM

Try out the plug in Panther. It may work. I wish I still had a Panther machine around to test with. I used to keep one. But, I've ended up having to upgrade it to Leopard. So, now all I've got is Leopard and Tiger.

Rob

I tried it doesn't work :unsure:
and i wanted this for such along time
but well now i have to install tiger
so in one way i suppose it's good :ranting:
- Lydia Lunch

#39 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

Rob

I tried it doesn't work :unsure:
and i wanted this for such along time
but well now i have to install tiger
so in one way i suppose it's good :ranting:

Do you have any place to test the AU first, before you upgrade? I would hate for you to go through the trouble/risk of upgrading to Tiger and then not liking the AU.

Although, I will say this. I personally got a good increase in the performance of my computer by moving to Tiger. Performance with Leopard is about the same as Tiger (no noticeable diff.). But, Leopard is pretty nice in other ways.

Also, if you use Logic at all, the new Logic 8 is tons better than Logic 7. Not to mention that the price is a ton better. Logic Studio is pretty nice. Main Stage looks to be an actually interesting app for performance based computer music.

What is your sound card?

Rob

#40 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:10 PM

Any Win VST version?

Nope. I don't do Windows at home. Actually, I no longer have a functioning Windows machine. It would be relatively easy to get the guts working. But the UI would take a lot of work.

There is the Bidule route though. These will work on either a PC or a Mac.

Rob

#41 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

I just did another update on the AU beta. I had a request to make the final Wet/Dry mix easier to manipulate. I didn't really have any room for a combined wet volume control. So, I turned the Dry Level into a Dry/Wet crossfade. It is rigged so that 0 (centered) has both outputs at full strength. Moving to -2.0 doubles the output of the Dry and sends the Wet to zero. Going to 2.0 does the opposite. So, it does an equal power kinda fad between the two.

Also, I fixed a couple of bugs on panning/volume interactions on the new mono->stereo mode.

The download link is still the same http://www.musicunfo..._xResonance.dmg

Rob

#42 Guest_Guest_Bapman_*_*

Guest_Guest_Bapman_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:40 PM

Do you have any place to test the AU first, before you upgrade? I would hate for you to go through the trouble/risk of upgrading to Tiger and then not liking the AU.
Although, I will say this. I personally got a good increase in the performance of my computer by moving to Tiger. Performance with Leopard is about the same as Tiger (no noticeable diff.). But, Leopard is pretty nice in other ways.
Also, if you use Logic at all, the new Logic 8 is tons better than Logic 7. Not to mention that the price is a ton better. Logic Studio is pretty nice. Main Stage looks to be an actually interesting app for performance based computer music.

What is your sound card?

Rob

Yeah i can test it at a friends
and i could put tiger on one startup disk and keep panther on another
I have logic but it's an old one that i use excl. to convert stuff to Cbase
since i'm more use to that app and in my ears the soud engine sound better.
I use an old Audiomedia III card wich works with all apps except the one it's designed for
Protools , i updated one to many and it didn't work to go back
it never started upp again
the Audiomedia III card is the best sounding card that i've tried when it comes to mastering.
and for multirec i've got 2 Yamaha DSP factory with an adat extention.
but that only works in OS 9 which i still keep for that and for Masterlist :-)

#43 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:16 PM

I'm getting very old. Or, at least my brain is. I had intended to post the link to the bidule symp string thing a couple of weeks ago, but my brain glitched.

So here it is now Link to zipped bidule files.

This is really only a start to get a working sympathetic string VST thing going. There are three files in the zip archive. The three files are a 1 string, 2 string, and 3 string version respectively. The idea is that between the 3 of them you can see the pattern of how it is laid out. I'm guessing that anyone wanting to use this idea will want more strings. You can get as many strings as you want by selecting the sections needed to build a new string and duplicating. So, you kind of just need to follow the pattern.

The bigger issue is that there is no nice, easy to use UI. You've got to edit the params by hand. (And you have to know your note values by frequency). Still, it should be pretty flexible, it should work anywhere (PC, Mac, VST, AU). And, once you get it set up (number of strings, tuned, etc.) there shouldn't be much fiddling needed.

If you have problems using it, please post here so we can try to work them out where everyone can see.

Oh yeah, if you haven't used Bidule before, you double-click the boxes to bring up an editor to edit the values.

Rob

#44 Bapman

Bapman

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

Finally i managed too get around to a real test
it just took me 2 y give or take a month :lol:

man this plug is super !!!!
I love it :lol:

i had some minor glitches
i couldn't see the whole plugin
and it crashed peak a couple of times
but that might be the soundcard + the system + the Old G4 i'm still using :whistling:

but what a sound !

I'll post the result in a few days or so
- Lydia Lunch

#45 Bapman

Bapman

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

Hey

here's the first result , not mixed nor mastered
and i have to adjust the effect of the plugin.
since it crashed on me , i had to go with a slightly distorted processed file

Moxie/Zoo-Zoo
- Lydia Lunch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users