Lesser Gaggle

• Mexicanician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:49 AM

Three piece => Les Paul.
10,000 guys on stage => Strat.

The light has come on!

Those pickups look really tasty, quanta costa?

:unsure: cuanto cuesta! :blush:

#17 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:52 AM

Now as a direct result of this thread I've taken the morning off practise and started going through the Les Paul and Mary Ford stuff...

:unsure:
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#18 Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Lesser Gaggle

• Mexicanician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

Now as a direct result of this thread I've taken the morning off practise and started going through the Les Paul and Mary Ford stuff...

aren't they sweet!

Posted Image

#19 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

aren't they sweet!

Absolutely! I love all the 40s/50s tweeness and blatant sexism in the lysterine shows :blush:

Back on to the Crapton now....

I'm a bit with Rob in that I like his acoustic stuff best (not that there's ever going to be such a thing as a steel string with good tone :unsure: :ninja: ) - he's very much underrated as a singer I rekon...
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#20 Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Lesser Gaggle

• Mexicanician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

he's very much underrated as a singer I rekon...

he's not underrated at all!

Posted Image

#21 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:39 AM

I had a friend back in my early uni days that made a pilgrimage to try and meet Les Paul. He took a small gift that he hoped would get him in to talk with Paul. It worked. They talked for a couple of hours. He said Les was a really nice guy who was great to talk with.

#22 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

he's very much underrated as a singer I rekon...

he's not underrated at all!

Posted Image

Jeez, you may not like the guy but there's just no reason to go around sayin' he doesn't even exist.

I agree with Gaz about Clapton as a singer too. So, there ya' go. That proves it.

#23 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Beck's version sound pretty good.

That's the first positive comment I've heard on that! I think he did a magnificent Job - as did the Big Town Playboys....

I was sent a link to those pickups earlier and I'd just thought it an April fool....

Of to merge an emg, a rickenbacker toaster and piezo into a hex - d'yo think it'll all fit into a lipstick case? :unsure:

I hadn't heard that JB stuff before - must look into further. It's hard to believe that it's not all positive reviews.

Actually, a hex pickup in a lipstick case is a perfect idea. Quick, market that puppy.

I've wanted a combo strat single coil and mini-humbucker combined in a single case for years. I still can't find one. Maybe I'll just have to build one by hand.

#24 Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Lesser Gaggle

• Mexicanician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

I agree with Gaz about Clapton as a singer too. So, there ya' go. That proves it.

this is my favorit Clapton album.........

Posted Image

The singing is great!

#25 Black Lantern

Black Lantern

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

Speaking of the single coil vs. humbucker question, I'm thinking of putting these on a guitar. Anyone have any experience with/of them?

The guy that is working on my fretless is installing one of those in one of his original designs (he works daytime as a builder for Alembic and nighttime on his own doing crazy stuff). He is putting it in the bridge but he said that if you have the right toggle setup installed you get 3 different pickups in one and if you like p90's in the bridge or that little single coil (which is fairly meaty) in the bridge by them selves, it'll do you just fine. Combined it has a slight PAF Humbucker tone in my listening to it. I wouldn't install it solo like he's doing, but it's pretty versitile.
Fretted, fretless, tremolo, hardtail, electric, acoustic.....it's all about what fits the song the best.

#26 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

Speaking of the single coil vs. humbucker question, I'm thinking of putting these on a guitar. Anyone have any experience with/of them?

The guy that is working on my fretless is installing one of those in one of his original designs (he works daytime as a builder for Alembic and nighttime on his own doing crazy stuff). He is putting it in the bridge but he said that if you have the right toggle setup installed you get 3 different pickups in one and if you like p90's in the bridge or that little single coil (which is fairly meaty) in the bridge by them selves, it'll do you just fine. Combined it has a slight PAF Humbucker tone in my listening to it. I wouldn't install it solo like he's doing, but it's pretty versitile.

Thanks for the info on PU. Yeah the switching capabilities with this are what really makes it nice. I really don't like the sound of bridge pick-ups alone. The ability to do what amounts to the Strat neck-middle combo would be really sweet and is, in part, what I'm really after. There are some Lace pickups that might actually be better for this.

Right now though, I spent the money I was going to use to get the pickups on a new compressor. So, it'll have to wait. I'm going to rewire the pickups I currently have in there to do the same switching pattern I was going to use with the P-Rails. Then, I think I'll hold out for a single coil-mini HB combo.

Right now, I'm designing a varitone circuit to go with the new switching selectors. I like the idea of the varitone. But, I always thought there were too many similar band-stop settings. So, I'm going to try some weirdness.

#27 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:23 PM

So, I went to rewire my old pickups in my guitar and discovered that I've screwed around with them so many times that wires are now too short to actually reach the main control cavity. Hmm.

Well, I figured it was indeed time to just buy the P-Rails. These pickups are truly amazing. The sound combinations are just outstanding. I wired them to get every possible combination (I think I didn't miss any.) Here's the way I set them up. Each PU has two toggles that let me choose between parallel, series, P-90, and single coil (strat) independently. From there, they run to the pickup selector which I've rewired to be a six position rotary with the positions set up to be:

1) Neck
2) Neck and Bridge, parallel
3) Neck and Bridge, parrallel and phase reversed
4) Bridge
5) Neck and Bridge, series
6) Neck and Bridge, series and phase reversed

Which, if I've got my combinatorics right, gives 72 tones. Each one is actually unique and usable.

Perhaps more importantly, this is the first humbucker bridge pickup that I've been truly happy with. The parallel "humbucker" tone is really harmonically rich and yet airy and phase-y.

I also changed out the tone cap to be a 2.2nF cap and tossed on a tone bypass switch because I generally hate what TC's do to pickup. I'd give these mods a positive rating too. Although, I think maybe an ~10.nF cap might be better.

In short, the PU's are amazing, but, you really need to put a ton of switches in place to really hear what they can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users