#1 tbaker

tbaker

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:46 PM

Hey all

My wife is a designer of museums, and she just finished designing a children's museum in Bellevue Washington. One of the exhibits is the "garage band" which includes this fake guitar (midi controller) without frets (or strings)! A tappers delight!

Posted Image

Posted Image

TB

tombakerquartet.com
tombakercomposer.com
myspace.com/tombakerquartet
youtube.com/tombakerquartet

#2 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:01 AM

Pretty cool, I bet you played with that for quite some time.

Strikes me that could be quite a good project. Equip your band with un-virtual instruments, you know it looks like a fake double bass but sounds like a real one.

Now that's art.

Jah
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#3 Guest_V_*

Guest_V_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:33 PM

I like that now!
V

#4 tbaker

tbaker

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:46 PM

It's pretty cool. It has four or five different midi patches, though the only thing is that is based on a step-system (12-tone et) so it is not a continuum of pitch, but rather has chromatic scale steps.

But it is a fun idea, and I talked to the fabricator about making one without the scale. That, and the keyboard in the other topic and you have your band Jeff!

Tom

tombakerquartet.com
tombakercomposer.com

#5 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:07 PM

But it is a fun idea, and I talked to the fabricator about making one without the scale. That, and the keyboard in the other topic and you have your band Jeff!
Tom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think its a very cool idea. That's the trouble with MIDI though, it is based around a chromatic scale, microtones have to be done with bend information. Which in extreem cases can clog up your channels.

Mind you its a few years since I studied MIDI in any depth so things could have changed.

Did you get the birthday e-mail Tom?

J
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#6 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:32 PM

I think its a very cool idea. That's the trouble with MIDI though, it is based around a chromatic scale, microtones have to be done with bend information. Which in extreem cases can clog up your channels.

Mind you its a few years since I studied MIDI in any depth so things could have changed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not that much. MIDI still remains constricted by its initial conceptual model of the twelve tone ET keyboard. Every time I look at one of my synth lines in the notation view in Logic (or whatever) I am reminded of how much is left out. I would love to see someone represent pitchbend and channel pressure ("aftertouch") within standard notation through some sort of enhancement.

Mind you I don't think guitar tablature is much better at dealing with those elements either.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#7 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:28 PM

Every time I look at one of my synth lines in the notation view in Logic (or whatever) I am reminded of how much is left out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yes, in the very early days of Atari / Steinberg / Casio 101 - Yes I will admit roots - there was a piece I had in sheet music - Ultrafox, might have been a Django number. As I'd never heard it and there were no backing chords to vamp it over I laid out the first page in MIDI notation.

My, my, it sounded so wooden. Even though I can't sight read you do get a notion of the excitement in the opening bars. If you take it cold from the sheet music, it is nothing. So there is an awful lot more to be added in. Just adding "lively" or "allergro del monte" doesn't cut it.

And before anyone says it - you cannot liven a MIDI piece by randomising the timing of the piece. There's a long way to go before it emulates real musicians.

Jah

#8 tbaker

tbaker

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:52 AM

Tom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you get the birthday e-mail Tom?

J

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got it, thanks J. Will get a reply out soon.

TB

tombakerquartet.com
tombakercomposer.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users