Chilly Willy

Lesser Gaggle

• Mexicanician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:55 AM

This one is a bit smaller than Gulf:

Malkauns-ish dev.3 About 3.7 Megs.

Latest incarnation of the Indian/African piece I linked to in the sarod YouTube thread.

Real cool stuff! I downloaded it to my Ipod! :)

Latest incarnation of theMexican/Dutch :D

#107 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:27 PM

At last, it's not myspaz, so I can join in and listen!

As always, beautifully productioned mate, and yes, I did briefly gander at your drone for C# ness (Ab6sus4? - damn! I'm an idiot :D )

Is that your spoken voice in there?

I was thinking as I was listening and bopping away whilst doing the washing up - "Thank christ there's no digeridoo in there" and then lo and behold :) - It's a fundemental phobia I have for digis.....

Edit! I was talking about GULF, I was so far behind I hadn't got to the latest addition yet.....

Thanks, guys. The Indian/African is my current fave to work on now that I've gotten the angst over SF babe outta my system (into Gulf.) Trying to use the MOTU Ethno software instrument more (the kora sound among other things) as it has more things that are complementary to the Godin/VG-88 combo:

Posted Image

I know a great kora player (Daniel Berkman) who's familiar with both Indian and West African styles, but unfortunately he lives in SF. Hence I had to compose and play the part meself. Wish I could afford to fly people in for sessions; I'd be importing players from the west coast, Europe, all over... Maybe time to look more seriously into Net collaborations. (I still intend to get Satish to throw down some trumpet stuff this summer.) Would keep the carbon footprint lower, too.

Shoulda warned you about the didge, sorry, G.! I have a phobia mainly about most of the hippies who play them (an olfactory as well as an auditory phobia), but I actually do like the sound when a serious player is involved (e.g., Stephen Kent in SF, originally from Oz, did some nice stuff with a group called Trance Mission in the 90s, also sat in with my friends the Ali Khans.) Perhaps this blurb I wrote about it in one of my blogs will shed some light on my motivation:

...some djembe and didgeridoo to drive the rhythm later on. (Yeah, yeah, I know every blond-dreaded stoner in North America plays those two instruments, but I like 'em anyway.) The didge loop is something of a placeholder for parts I'd like to get a Brazilian didgeridoo player (she sings too) I met recently to throw down on it.

:D

Yeah, she's cute and probably too young for me, but I do actually want some live tracks of didge in the piece. (Insert group smirks and guffaws here.) Really. She's already worked out some parts. ("Down, Gazza! Steady, Jim!") Nice woman. Really.

Yeah, that's me voiceover in it. And the drone chord is some sort of Lydian cluster in various permutations over the C# root.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#108 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:53 PM

PS - Gaz, since you're having trouble with myspaz, here's some of the stuff I've had in my spasticplayer, mostly stuff I outlinked to when retiring it from the player:

http://www.box.net/shared/vjdm8zn4b2 and http://www.box.net/shared/edp412n4y9

I started using Box.Net when I ran out of space on centerverse.

I'll put up the rest of what's currently on myspaz soon.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson

#109 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:18 AM

Latest, extended version of Malkauns-ish

African music is fun. Added in some Indian harmonium but playing South African accordion style, just to further confuse the aural geography. The synth wash patch behind the tabla soloing over the kora riff is from ZebraCM, included free as an AU and VST instrument on the DVD for this month's Computer Music (UK) magazine. Worth many times the price of the zine. Highly recommend you go buy a copy.

Needs more guitar (not cowbell) at the end after the tabla/kora showcase. Feel free to noodle around in F# pentatonic minor over that last part.

#110 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:22 AM

PS - Gaz, since you're having trouble with myspaz, here's some of the stuff I've had in my spasticplayer, mostly stuff I outlinked to when retiring it from the player:

http://www.box.net/shared/vjdm8zn4b2 and http://www.box.net/shared/edp412n4y9

I started using Box.Net when I ran out of space on centerverse.

I'll put up the rest of what's currently on myspaz soon.

ooH aaH!

Gander I will in good time innit......

:D
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#111 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

"Thank christ there's no digeridoo in there" and then lo and behold :lol: - It's a fundemental phobia I have for digis.....

Me too!

They freak me out more than pigeons. :D
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#112 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:01 PM

OK, a new one I began last weekend. No didge on this (though it may have been manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts, or may be contraindicated for those with aspirin allergies, etc.)

"femme fâchée part" (Angry Woman Leaves) Another post-mortem on the ill-fated affair with a certain Marxist/angry feminist (it turned out) babe in SF. Just as well her plans to come visit me and shack up in May went into the crapper. (I'm never moving back to SF.) C'est la vie.

Middle-Eastern swamp funk blues is what I'm calling it. Guitar will go on this weekend, though I'd love to hear some of Vince's electric oud on it.

#113 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:08 AM

And another new one started (this afternoon):

Trance Restoration

Has Turkish saz, a little sarangi (or similar instrument, not sure exactly, could be an israaj or a dilaruba - I used to own the latter - sitar neck on a sarangi-style body), a Bulgarian vocal and an Ali Khan vocal sample (I forget which one of them now. When I formant-shift Riffat's voice, she sounds uncannily like her brothers.)

The result of sitting down with a new plugin, the LinPlug FreeAlpha 3 softsynth, that came free on the same Computer Music DVD as the free ZebraCM. It's the synth wash that starts up after the opening saz riff.

Guitar goes on tomorrow. Trying to work out something using the tips my teacher has been giving me about melodic development and the use of tihais.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users