4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jellifish_*

Guest_Jellifish_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:34 PM

Pictures of this guitar and case are at: http://www.jellifish.com/fretless

FRETLESS GIBSON SG: HISTORY
=====================

This fretless guitar is a Gibson SG. The serial number appears to be 60301625.

I am the original owner and bought the guitar and case new at Purdom's Pickstop in LaGrange, Illinois USA sometime around 1981. The guitar was originally a Tobacco Sunburst finish, but somewhere around 1984 I decided that wasn't hip anymore -- who woulda thunk the vintage look would eventually trump Motley Crue?!? -- and decided it needed to be "painted black".

Around this time, I also added the Seymour Duncan pick-ups (I think they're JB and '57 models, but it's been sooo... long now, I can't recall anything with 100% certainty beyond that they're Duncans.) They're both coil-tapped; i.e., you pull the respective volume potentiometer and turn the corresponding pick-up into a single-coil.

Since the SG body style is too thin to accomodate a proper Floyd Rose type vibrato system, I added a Washburn Wonderbar instead, which requires almost no body modifications fortunately!

Thankfully, I eventually outgrew thinking that the guitar ended with Mick Mars et al and wound-up getting into Jeff Beck and John McLaughlin as well as other non-guitarist musicians of the jazz ilk, such as Coltrane, Miles, Bird, Brubeck, etc.

After hearing McLaughlin and Beck's individual interpretations of Goodbye Porkpie Hat, I acquired Monk's original recording as well as Stanley Clarke's version and somewhere along the line decided that I would dig out my old SG and turn it into a fretless to do my own six-string reinterpretation of this awesome piece.

As it turned-out, this was a fun project and I wound-up getting into fretless guitar exclusively for about two years full-time. In any event, my enjoyment far exceeded any concern with further diminishing the value of an already far-from-vintage SG.

For those of you who already have a fretless, this one might make a nice addition to your collection if for no other reason than the unique textures attainable with the Washburn Wonderbar which, while not a true transposing vibrato such as those found on the Steinbergers, does allow you to perform pedal-steel-like drops and bends. In other words, one can individually tweak the degree of slackening/tension on a string-by-string basis. This affords some novel harmonic devices when chording; e.g., dropping or raising the third to a second or fourth, respectively.

I have this guitar set-up with tape-wound strings and think that's how it sounds best.

DISCLAIMERS:
=========

* I'm missing two knobs for the pots and the back cover for the electronics.

* The third string's broken...I've been too lazy to replace it :wub:

* The mother-of-pearl inlays on the neck can cause a slightly different timbre unless you're observant of your technique.

* Pictures of this guitar and case are at: http://www.jellifish.com/fretless

WHY AM I SELLING IT?
==============

It doesn't really fit into what I'm doing musically nowadays. I'll probably kick myself 10 years from now, but hopefully not! :blush: Regardless, I'd like someone to have it who will put it to good use on a regular basis. If the person who buys it gets into fretless guitar and wouldn't have otherwise or if it becomes part of a practicing fretless guitarist's arsenal, then I'll be happy to have contributed in either respect.

ASKING PRICE & CONTACT INFO.
=====================

Geewhiz...what's a fair price for an item like this?!?

Just get in touch with me and make an offer...

I can be reached via email or phone...

robb @ jellifish . com --OR-- (630) 586-9330 ext. 101

Cheers,
Robb Hendrickson

Pictures of this guitar and case are at: http://www.jellifish.com/fretless

#2 thejim

thejim

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

Cripes, you make that crazy comb, pick thing.

I have a mate who is after a black SG to defret- so I shall give him a call and see if he is financially fluid at the mo.
You're a grotesque, ugly freak and you're wrong. Thankyou.
http://myspace.com/fearsomegonad

#3 Guest_Jellifish_*

Guest_Jellifish_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:45 PM

Yep. We prefer to call the Jellifish a "plectrum effect." It's not so much a pick as it is an "Amish Stompbox" that leverages three biomechanical flatpicking techniques (sweep picking, alternate picking, and circular picking) to elicit three altered timbres from the instrument (Chorus!, Pluck! and Bow!, respectively).

We also manufacture sets of titanium-enriched aluminum alloy bridge pins. These are known as "HotRods by Jellifish". (Jellifish is the name of our company as well as the name of one of our products -- kind of like "Coke".) The HotRods come in six different anodized colors: Red, Silver, Blue, Green, Gold and Purple.

The HotRods improve the tone of acoustic guitars because they have a linear, uniform grain structure which affords superior transmission of acoustical energy from the string into the bridge (and, ergo, the soundboard). Also, because the consistency from pin-to-pin is virtually 100%, acoustical consistency from string-to-string is uniform with the only timbral differences being those caused by the variation among the strings themselves; i.e., gauge and wound vs. unwound.

#4 Guest_Bejeeber_*

Guest_Bejeeber_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:09 AM

Shoot, if I hadn't just bought a guitar with the express intent of doing a fretless conversion on it.....

And hey those Jellifish picks RAWWWKK!

My wife is a singer / songwriter / guitarist and she won't use anything but a jellifish for strumming. Gets the brightest jangling acoustiic tone with it on her 60 s Gibson ES-125.

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:59 PM

check out mingus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users