UA-62480628-1

Photo

Glissentar or Godin Nylon Fretless

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Glissentar or Godin Nylon Fretless?

Which do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Guest_MV_*

Guest_MV_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

I think my pick is obvious, The Glissentar.... I thought back and forth, but in the end the Glissentar is truly the more "Modern" and "Original" instrument. I would also like to point out that one can play Any style on the Glissentar not just "Oud" or "Drone" style music etc...........Hell, I somtimes play Jazz and Blues on the Lute.............MV

#17 Guest_shigihara_*

Guest_shigihara_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:08 PM

Hell, I somtimes play Jazz and Blues on the Lute.............MV

very cool... I used to play renaissance and a bit of baroque lute as well... :unsure:

best, Paul

#18 Guest_V_*

Guest_V_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

very cool... I used to play renaissance and a bit of baroque lute as well...

best, Paul

Yeah, Lute players spend half of their time tuning and the other half playing out of tune. :wacko: :) :D

MV

#19 Guest_shigihara_*

Guest_shigihara_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

very cool... I used to play renaissance and a bit of baroque lute as well...

best, Paul

Yeah, Lute players spend half of their time tuning and the other half playing out of tune. :wacko: :) :D

MV

tell Paul O'Dette... :D

I quit 27 years ago... still like the music though and play it on electric once in a while...

So far 85% of the fretless guitar players I hear aren't exactly 'playing in tune' either... :D

#20 Guest_V_*

Guest_V_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, that is an old joke I got from a teacher long ago. :wub:

As for "in-tune", it is Really sad that 12-TET system has totally polluted many humans' ears to the beauty of notes outside of it. The idea that any sound has to based on a previous system is absurd, and if it sounds good or bad to each individual is the end result anyway. :wub:

All in all, it hurts that many people feel they have to play a fretless guitar like a fretted guitar. The main reason I lost the frets was to get all the other notes and tones; not to emulate a fretted guitar or the 12-TET system. :wub:

#21 Guest_shigihara_*

Guest_shigihara_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:36 PM

Yeah, that is an old joke I got from a teacher long ago. :wub:

As for "in-tune", it is Really sad that 12-TET system has totally polluted many humans' ears to the beauty of notes outside of it. The idea that any sound has to based on a previous system is absurd, and if it sounds good or bad to each individual is the end result anyway. :wub:

All in all, it hurts that many people feel they have to play a fretless guitar like a fretted guitar. The main reason I lost the frets was to get all the other notes and tones; not to emulate a fretted guitar or the 12-TET system. :wub:

very interesting subject...
yeah... the funny thing is that the piano and a fretted guitar are actually really 'out-of-tune'... :D
Look at the way people who play the violin, viola, cello and doublebass (professionally)
have to deal with intonation within 'functional harmony'... or singers in a choir...
they all are very aware of the shortcomings of equal temperament.
Most of the 'in-tune' musical systems have developed outside the realms of western music...
I agree that it's pretty stupid to try to play fretless guitar like a fretted one... why bother ?!?
Let's wait for the day when a kid who started out on a fretless guitar plays the Bach cello/violin sonatas as beautifully as Yo-Yo Ma or Perlman or any other great classical string player on their instruments...

#22 Guest_V_*

Guest_V_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:33 PM

very interesting subject...
yeah... the funny thing is that the piano and a fretted guitar are actually really 'out-of-tune'...
Look at the way people who play the violin, viola, cello and doublebass (professionally)
have to deal with intonation within 'functional harmony'... or singers in a choir...
they all are very aware of the shortcomings of equal temperament.
Most of the 'in-tune' musical systems have developed outside the realms of western music...
I agree that it's pretty stupid to try to play fretless guitar like a fretted one... why bother ?!?
Let's wait for the day when a kid who started out on a fretless guitar plays the Bach cello/violin sonatas as beautifully as Yo-Yo Ma or Perlman or any other great classical string player on their instruments...

Excellent points, I like to say if people enjoy the "out of tune" 12-TET then what is the exact problem with hearing Microtones. In the end, "Beautiful" is very subject too..............V

#23 Guest_shigihara_*

Guest_shigihara_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:36 PM

Excellent points, I like to say if people enjoy the "out of tune" 12-TET then what is the exact problem with hearing Microtones. In the end, "Beautiful" is very subject too..............V

let's not open the can of worms here... just a little bit. :wub:

Aural perception is so subjective dependent on the individual's training/taste etc.
For sure you are aware of the long history of the pursuits of trying to integrate
microtones and 'further the 'limits' of functional harmony by inventing new microtonal instruments.
Most listeners (who are not professional musicians) like a recognizable melody
not your average 12-tone row et al. :wub:
re: beautiful...understood... Who would call Ligeti, Berio or any hardcore 20/21st century
classical/avantgarde music beautiful ? You and I would...but we couldn't necessarily expect it from others...

btw, you might enjoy this site:

http://www.sheerpluck.de/

Welcome to Sheer Pluck

This database of contemporary guitar music is designed to provide a resource not only to "pluckers", but potentially to journalists and scholars who are interested in the development of contemporary music in the 20th and early 21st century. As well, Sheer Pluck is hoping to promote the guitar's repertoire - which clearly is expanding in a most dramatic way at present - and stimulate further discourse and composition. No modern instrument has been left out in the cold: included herein is music for electric guitar, for bass guitar, as well as for quarter-tone guitar and alto guitar.

later, Paul

#24 Vince

Vince

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

When I first heard non-tempered tunings it was probably Indian classical music which sounded utterly weird to me back then and I didn't like it. Now I love it. It took hearing it over time and some theoretical understanding to start to appreciate it. Later I discovered my true love - Arabic music. Probably more accessible to Western ears than Indian music but still using modes (maqamat) with 'de-tuned' notes. Certain maqamat send shivers down my spine when played on a ney or an oud. I've listened to enough now for it to sound more natural to me than most Western music. I got my Glissentar specifically to be able to try some Arabic scales - and because the 'fret' markers are very accurate, it was much easier than I expected to intonate, either on the 'frets' or in the inbetween positions.

If any of you are interested in hearing Arabic scales, check out Maqam World, which has the scales written out, demonstrated on various instruments, and with examples of practical application from released albums. If you fancy trying any on your fretless guitar, try Hijaz (instantly sounds Middle-Eastern!) or Bayati (has one half-flattened note in it and sounds great.

.......and while I think of it, there are several excellent oud players on YouTube (search for 'oud'), who will inspire any fretless guitarist to try some new ideas. Check it out.

#25 Guest_V_*

Guest_V_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the sites Vince and Paul........I personally got my love for sound/music early on, and then like most, I learned theory (still learning too). I have always loved "microtones" too even before I knew what they were called.............V

#26 Guest_shigihara_*

Guest_shigihara_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:03 PM

If any of you are interested in hearing Arabic scales, check out
Maqam World,
which has the scales written out, demonstrated on various instruments,
and with examples of practical application from released albums.

Vince, thanks for posting this link !

very helpful info...

Paul

#27 Andreas

Andreas

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:00 AM

Another vote for the Glissentar because it's simply a very unique instrument.

One also has the choice to use 6 strings instead of 11 because Glissentar strings are harder to find but maybe this is a bad idea
(never tried it) because it will lose its rich sound.

I also want to thank you all very much for the links, very interesting sites.

#28 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:26 AM

Another vote for the Glissentar because it's simply a very unique instrument.

One also has the choice to use 6 strings instead of 11 because Glissentar strings are harder to find but maybe this is a bad idea
(never tried it) because it will lose its rich sound.

I also want to thank you all very much for the links, very interesting sites.

Thanks Andreas, but read my thoughts on Glissentar strings on the main site.

You will be astounded!
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users