52 replies to this topic

#46 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:44 PM

It did make me laugh when I kept trying to move the cursor on the .mov....

then tried to close the tape delay box :hug:

fascinating stuff

only two simultanious effects in express?
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#47 Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:56 PM

Last things first, Gary, you're a god, never forget it.

I love all you guys but I'm laughing at you. I have a six or seven year old pc which I'm stealing from my sweetheart. It runs at 750 mhz. USB2 and Firewire upgrade, ram upgrade, XP upgrade, hard drive upgrade, I admit to tarting up the old bird. Why exactly are you spending all this money? Upgrades are plentiful and cheap if you have an old pc. And my pal builds pcs for himself that are scalding but, since he knows what he's doing, are peanuts cheap. Likewise good software is there if you need it for free or cheap. Pantha and I are addicted to Sony Acid but if we weren't we'd get by for free. GAK!
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#48 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:11 PM

It did make me laugh when I kept trying to move the cursor on the .mov....

then tried to close the tape delay box :hug:

fascinating stuff

only two simultanious effects in express?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, no. I have five or six FX on some tracks, which after a while leads to needing to render tracks to disk to free up CPU cycles.

BTW, I have VLC among other things. There's another called MPlayer OS X, and also the WMV Player that enables QT to play most WM files, with the advantage of the QT player's better control interface. (Though the anarchic state of the multifarious codecs different Wintel apps use means occasionally there are files it can't play, not to mention websites that commit the sin of using platform-specific plugin code (i.e., DirectX) in their page embeds. The CBC's site is one of those. Something to be said for a company playing a standards policing role the way Apple does.)

And, Brad, my tower (a PowerComputing from the Mac clone era) dates to Feb. '97. 6 PCI slots, 3 monitors, 2 audio cards, one USB/Firewire card, upgradeable CPU daughtercard (G4 currently.) Only now feeling a bit creaky. When (next year) I get a dual G5 or better as the main control center, it will still be useful as an auxiliary mixdown station, perhaps Protools LE or something.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#49 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:53 PM

Last things first, Gary, you're a god, never forget it.

I love all you guys but I'm laughing at you. I have a six or seven year old pc which I'm stealing from my sweetheart. It runs at 750 mhz. USB2 and Firewire upgrade, ram upgrade, XP upgrade, hard drive upgrade, I admit to tarting up the old bird. Why exactly are you spending all this money? Upgrades are plentiful and cheap if you have an old pc. And my pal builds pcs for himself that are scalding but, since he knows what he's doing, are peanuts cheap. Likewise good software is there if you need it for free or cheap. Pantha and I are addicted to Sony Acid but if we weren't we'd get by for free. GAK!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

feeling all warm and fuzzy now, thanks man...

When I bought Logic I didn't know of any free audio apps and I didn't even have broadband connection - so I kinda got sucked into it, but it is the absolute most serious bit of kit imaginable, the audio editing is so rediculously good (but I've restricted myself using it) - and then there's the plug ins and the sampler etc....

It's worth it to me just to have it there - rock solid - it works all the time - with no hics or farts and I have just one bit of software with which to clam up my limited attention span....

I do love the way that yourself and Panther go about it and are so productive with minimal funds - if the truth be known I'm a bit envious ....... :o

with the fx question I was just wondering how many you were restricted to with express....
thanks for the info though Kai

_
gary

but I still have most fun with guitar, pen & paper

#50 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:50 PM

A tech note from MOTU says that the 828MkII is Firewire 400. Makes sense 800 is way overkill. I've pasted the quote below. For video 800 would be good, especially if you were mixing to tape. If you had huge drives, you could probably get by with 400 even for video.

Dude, Tiger is cool! The video stuff, CoreImage and CoreVideo, are rockin'. Apple has released a free developer app called Quartz Composer. It lets you have direct acces to video card in a graphical scripting environment. It's a ton of fun. It's so cool, I've been thinking of trying to start an open source app that would do the same thing except with audio and AU's.

Here's the quote from MOTU

"Also, you can use a FireWire 800-to-400 adapter to plug a MOTU FireWire interface into a computer with a FireWire 800 port. As our FireWire interfaces are FW 400 devices, there will be no performance increase by connecting them to a FW 800 bus, but there will also be no detriment to MOTU FW performance either. Using a FW 800-to-400 adapter simply provides you with more connectivity options."

#51 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for the info Rob, I don't do video professionally so iMovie and fw400 shall suffice, so I may well dive in with the current Macbook When I get time I'll check up about Logic compatability with it....

I should burden you guys more often with my ignorance :o

thanks again

_
gary

p.s. laughably I often get a just year out of a fret job on guitars :lol:

#52 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:30 AM

Thanks for the info Rob, I don't do video professionally so iMovie and fw400 shall suffice, so I may well dive in with the current Macbook When I get time I'll check up about Logic compatability with it....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The copy of Logic Express I bought has the yin-yang Universal Binary logo on the box, so it looks like it's ready to go for the Intel processors.

Posted Image

Makes sense, the in-house teams have had a while now to be compiling the Intel processor versions of all Apple's pro apps, with Maximum Leader Steve holding their firstborns hostage in a cave somewhere to ensure total secrecy before the Intel deal was announced. (I jest, but...) The OS itself had been secretly test-ported to Intel processors at least four or five years ago, if I recall the reports correctly. Apple doesn't get enough props for their smooth transitions between chip architectures.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#53 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:12 PM

once again thanks are in order,

I'm glad to see that motu are up to date with the drivers too

we'll see what I can mug the easter bunny for.....

_
gary

Lo-fi vid toy? I could use this for practise.....!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users