danstearns

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

this problem has come up on this forum before
Jeff seems to want to error on the side of free speech, and i respect that
the internet is often a place where even amongst "friends" you better have a pretty thick skin because the ease of misunderstandings and misinterpretation and outright abuse is never very far away
But in a niche forum like this, i really don't see the need for cowardly "guest" authored bullshit.......it irks me personally
got something to say? stick your name to it
everybody doesn't have to like everything or agree with everything and i think they shouldn't be afraid to say so if that's the case
but if it's always an anonymous bit of snide, sarcastic backstabbing and bloodletting, i think it points to a need for some basic forum etiquette or <gasp> censoring
look at it this way....in a place like a Usenet "fretless" forum i would expect the nasty free-for-alls and anything-goes stealth insults, personal attacks, ad hominem character assassinations and on and on. But in a bit of a more cozier place like this, and i would expect disagreements and strong opinions and the occasional resulting hubris and ugly train wrecks.......but not the volume of cowardly, gutless "guest" BS that goes on here.
Whatever Jeff does, I will respect it as i respect him, and this is his baby......but i also think a post like this one by Bapman tells you something is probably not quite right.
Sorry to see you go

#3 Bent-Tonation

Bent-Tonation

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

Gunnar, I am sorry to see you leave because of that, but I must say that the "open" response system can sometimes be funny. I have had "open" posts try to railroad my threads before too, but they usually just get buried between the seriousness and the absurd, again some of my favorite feelings here at UnFretted central.
"Playing fretless guitar is like having sex without a condom. It is more dangerous & just feels better."
VVV

#4 Edward Powell

Edward Powell

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

I must admit that I also agree, and I have personally quite reduced my own participation on this forum for the same reason. Admittedly, whenever I have been chastised by 'rude' guests, it was never completely without fault of my own - and in some cases I outright asked for it :-) ...but still, I think that the whole issue of hiding behind the GUEST mask simply really sucks.

My suggestion to Jeff would be to allow guests to read, but NOT comment. Doing this would great improve this Forum in my opinion.

my 2 bits :vomit:
www.edwardpowell.com

#5 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:46 AM

I"m sad to see you go, but I understand. I'll keep in touch.

Disabling comments from guests would certainly work, but there is the balance of encouraging newcomers to participate vs. muzzling the abusive. But I suppose that if someone is really serious about commenting they'll sign up and put their name behind their words. On other boards I have felt put off by the prospect of having to sign up when I've only wanted to make the odd comment or request and not be a regular, and thus I didn't bother, but you are right to point out that there's been an ongoing problem with some guests hiding behind their anonymity. It's a problem at large on the net, to be sure (just read the Merkin right-wing nutjob comments on the editorial columns of the Guardian Online for some excellent examples of know-nothing abusive spewage - the editors do a sporadic and no doubt time-consuming job of removing the worst comments), but I'd like to think this forum can be more collegial.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#6 Edward Powell

Edward Powell

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:55 AM

I"m sad to see you go, but I understand. I'll keep in touch.

Disabling comments from guests would certainly work, but there is the balance of encouraging newcomers to participate vs. muzzling the abusive. But I suppose that if someone is really serious about commenting they'll sign up and put their name behind their words. On other boards I have felt put off by the prospect of having to sign up when I've only wanted to make the odd comment or request and not be a regular, and thus I didn't bother, but you are right to point out that there's been an ongoing problem with some guests hiding behind their anonymity. It's a problem at large on the net, to be sure (just read the Merkin right-wing nutjob comments on the editorial columns of the Guardian Online for some excellent examples of know-nothing abusive spewage - the editors do a sporadic and no doubt time-consuming job of removing the worst comments), but I'd like to think this forum can be more collegial.

What I think bugs me about the GUEST thing is that you never know WHO is making the absive comment - could really be a guest, or could be a cowardly member....... personally I go for disallowing guests to comment. :vomit:
www.edwardpowell.com

#7 n4vgm

n4vgm

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:40 AM

Having been away for a few months (that D#$% Ukulele) I know I'd miss any of the regulars that provided me with knowledge and inspiration into all things fretless. So, don't leave man! I've seen stupid posts from GUESTS before and every one just ignored them basically. If the mods want to eliminate GUEST posting, that's fine by me.

Playing any instrument requires maturity and patience, and more so with the FG. If someone is really interested, even academically, they can read all they want and join up like an adult to post. I lurked for quite awhile before I joined and my dopey questions got polite answers because my interest was genuine.

There will always be idiots in life and I'm realizing more each day that they only have power if we acknowledge them. They want attention, so I try not to give it to them.

This is one of the best forum groups around! Where else can noobs like me talk with established pros in a specialized field? Who else will understand my feeble attempts at micro tonal music and not laugh?

Anyway, thanks again, everyone, for your help. Here is what you accomplished. This week I jammed with my buds and played FG through my new (used) Micro Cube on several tunes. They loved it and there was also one guy's nephew there who just started playing guitar. I let him try the FG and you could see the wonder in his eyes!
Bob Z...........

#8 Guest_Guest_Bapman_*_*

Guest_Guest_Bapman_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

Hey
I'll return for one last comment
I agree that one should be able to
stand for critique , different opinions etc.
and i also like the funniness with an open system
But not people impersonating you
using your signature to egg on a feud
and say stuff under your "name" that you've never said or agree with
+ the constant mobbing with Guests that say stuff
that they wouldn't do face to face.
I know who have been doing this
in the computer age it's not easy to remain hidden.
and it's been going on for 3 years i've had it.
i've had disagreements with Ed and Paul and etc.
but we worked it out by saying we disagree no big deal.
nice to have someone else's opinion for a change
to challenge you on. ( at least on my part , i hope no offence was taken :-)
i have had a lot of fun on the forum and help 2 for that matter

and i wish you all the best especially Esquire Jeff Berg

and with that i bid you yet again Adieu
Have a nice one !

#9 Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:58 AM

They want attention, so I try not to give it to them.

This is ringing so true for me. Good one, Bob

I played on the same stage with Gunnar at the first NYC fretless fest and a little show in Atlanta and I just love him and his music too. What a nice guy with so much to give others about the fretless guitar...
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#10 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

First to Bapman, if you are still about, although I do understand your frustration, I'd personally be sorry to see you leave.

I've been thinking about the overall situation. I do like having guest posting if for nothing else, it is an invitation for people to get involved by asking questions before they might join.

I think it would be nice to have a section of the forum that was closed to the outside. It would only be open to those that were registered for both posting and viewing -- call it "The Pub." I don't even know if this is actually possible with the forum software, but I thought it might be a good way to achieve both openness of general forum and a closed place that is more secure for personal topics.

#11 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

Hey
I'll return for one last comment
I agree that one should be able to
stand for critique , different opinions etc.
and i also like the funniness with an open system
But not people impersonating you
using your signature to egg on a feud
and say stuff under your "name" that you've never said or agree with
+ the constant mobbing with Guests that say stuff
that they wouldn't do face to face.
I know who have been doing this
in the computer age it's not easy to remain hidden.
and it's been going on for 3 years i've had it.
i've had disagreements with Ed and Paul and etc.
but we worked it out by saying we disagree no big deal.
nice to have someone else's opinion for a change
to challenge you on. ( at least on my part , i hope no offence was taken :-)
i have had a lot of fun on the forum and help 2 for that matter

and i wish you all the best especially Esquire Jeff Berg

and with that i bid you yet again Adieu
Have a nice one !

Been away a few days so missed some of the fun.

Cheerio Bapman, go well.
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#12 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

I've been thinking about the overall situation. I do like having guest posting if for nothing else, it is an invitation for people to get involved by asking questions before they might join.

I think it would be nice to have a section of the forum that was closed to the outside. It would only be open to those that were registered for both posting and viewing -- call it "The Pub." I don't even know if this is actually possible with the forum software, but I thought it might be a good way to achieve both openness of general forum and a closed place that is more secure for personal topics.

Well... we did try bolting down the bollocks section for a while, which made it invisible to guests. It suddenly seemed invisible to members also!

Number of posts went down and generally it became a bit of a backwater.

But we could create a PUB and it can be restricted to certain member categories.

Will post a poll in the bollocks section to see if we are really keen on this.
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#13 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

Well... we did try bolting down the bollocks section for a while, which made it invisible to guests. It suddenly seemed invisible to members also!

Number of posts went down and generally it became a bit of a backwater.

But we could create a PUB and it can be restricted to certain member categories.

Will post a poll in the bollocks section to see if we are really keen on this.

Hm, I didn't know that about the bollocks section. Interesting data point. Still, it seems to go quiet occasionally anyway. Must be muggy in there in the hot weather. Or, maybe it's just when Gaz goes on vacation.

Now, about the pub, how do we verify that people are drinking before they can post?

#14 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:52 PM

Now, about the pub, how do we verify that people are drinking before they can post?

Err... well you have to go to the pub to get a drink in the first place!

Maybe a really difficult password, only if you get it wrong in an amusing way can you post.

#15 Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:08 PM

"She Sells Shemales By The Seasnore"?
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic