85 replies to this topic

#76 wfranklin

wfranklin

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:44 PM

Another nice fusion is Celtic with Arabic/North African (let's not forget the Berbers), for some of the same reasons. There's a nice Cheb Mami tune on my iPod, Azwaw, with a driving beat and bagpipes (which originated in Africa, a factoid I never tired of pointing out to racist Boston Irish punks):

if you really want to blow their minds, show them this video

and then read them the definition of the word "irony". Hehe

btw, that Cheb Mami video is primo.

#77 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:59 PM

Another nice fusion is Celtic with Arabic/North African (let's not forget the Berbers), for some of the same reasons. There's a nice Cheb Mami tune on my iPod, Azwaw, with a driving beat and bagpipes (which originated in Africa, a factoid I never tired of pointing out to racist Boston Irish punks):

if you really want to blow their minds, show them this video

and then read them the definition of the word "irony". Hehe

btw, that Cheb Mami video is primo.

That's awesome! I'm not totally surprised - there's also the example of the "two-tone" ska-inspired bands of the 80s (English Beat?)...
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#78 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:08 PM

Here's one to pique Ed's interest, maybe:

Last night I saw a multi-culti show with musicians from (deep breath)...

Senegal, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Costa Rica (a Flamenco guy), Bolivia, Japan, Vietnam, Morocco, Bosnia (Les Gitans de Sarajevo - the violinist tipped me about the show), Madagascar and Chad. (Seven of them francophone nations - this is Québec.)

They did one song each, which were all quite good, and then after the intermission they performed as a combined orchestra under the direction of one Luc Boivin. I liked the parts but it didn't seem to gel as its own entity that much. More of a candy sampler than a well-blended soup.

If I may be immodest, I think I did it better when I was fooling around with loops from my software instrument Ethno back when I first got it:

Un Monde ou Aucun

And I was just fooling around.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson

#79 Sol

Sol

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

Senegal, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Costa Rica (a Flamenco guy), Bolivia, Japan, Vietnam, Morocco, Bosnia (Les Gitans de Sarajevo - the violinist tipped me about the show), Madagascar and Chad. (Seven of them francophone nations - this is Québec.)

They did one song each, which were all quite good, and then after the intermission they performed as a combined orchestra under the direction of one Luc Boivin. I liked the parts but it didn't seem to gel as its own entity that much. More of a candy sampler than a well-blended soup.

If I may be immodest, I think I did it better when I was fooling around with loops from my software instrument Ethno back when I first got it:

Un Monde ou Aucun

Might be because of the fact they didn't really get to know each other musically before, considering the lack of time... I don't know why, but even if you're playing a composed piece, if you know the group of musicians you're working with and played with them for a while, it's much better.

#80 Edward Powell

Edward Powell

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:36 PM

Un Monde ou Aucun

Might be because of the fact they didn't really get to know each other musically before, considering the lack of time... I don't know why, but even if you're playing a composed piece, if you know the group of musicians you're working with and played with them for a while, it's much better.

this is especially true of middle-eastern musicians! For them it is more important to all have a meal together than to actually rehearse --- and I think they are right! in music - vibe is everything!
www.edwardpowell.com

#81 Vince

Vince

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:14 PM

this is especially true of middle-eastern musicians! For them it is more important to all have a meal together than to actually rehearse --- and I think they are right! in music - vibe is everything!

Hmmm.....I like the sound of this approach to rehearsal... :ninja:

Incidentally, I'm off to the Gnawa Festival in Morocco in late June. I've been to the festival a couple of times before but this time I'm bringing my Glissentar and have some jam sessions lined up already. Perhaps we should all start with a large pile of couscous and a tagine.

Posted Image

#82 Edward Powell

Edward Powell

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:34 PM

Hmmm.....I like the sound of this approach to rehearsal... :lol:

Incidentally, I'm off to the Gnawa Festival in Morocco in late June. I've been to the festival a couple of times before but this time I'm bringing my Glissentar and have some jam sessions lined up already. Perhaps we should all start with a large pile of couscous and a tagine.

Posted Image

:ninja: :wub: :rolleyes:
www.edwardpowell.com

#83 Sol

Sol

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:59 PM

Hmmm.....I like the sound of this approach to rehearsal... :wub:

Posted Image

Wow, sounds awesome! :ninja: Wish I could do that someday... I heard about it but I'm not sure how one would enter it. Do you just show up or something? :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of attending something similar next summer, but in the opposite direction. In Uzbekistan, I've heard they apparently have an Eastern music Festival (Like everything from Iran to India to Japan, seriously) every two years and next year is when the next one starts. Yay!

#84 Vince

Vince

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:55 AM

Wow, sounds awesome! :ninja: Wish I could do that someday... I heard about it but I'm not sure how one would enter it. Do you just show up or something? :wub:

The Jambash isn't officially part of the festival....DJ U-Cef is organising it himself. The festival itself is free to attend but I don't know how someone would get booked to play. It is mostly gnawa musicians but there's usually some French jazz people too and some bigger international acts, for example, Asian Dub Foundation, Youssou N'Dour and so on in previous years. I'm going to be handing round some copies of our new CD in the hopes of a booking for next year. It's a long shot but you never know!

#85 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:27 PM

Here's an example of a West African/Indian fusion with rockatronic elements, which I began yesterday... (Yes, Edward, I'll start an all acoustic tune soon.) Also based on Raga Brindabani Sarang. (Non-Bengalis pronounce it Vrindavani.) Certain ragas just naturally suggest West African modes to me. (And it was that tune with kora on the Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan/Michael Brook collaboration that first gave me the idea years ago.)

Fêtes de la rue (street fairs, of which there are so many this time of year here I find it difficult to stay home and woodshed in the studio, let alone do the chores.)

I used the Tenori-on to map out the "kora" part. The Godin is running through stock patch 24, I believe, on the VG-99, "Shredder".

#86 Vince

Vince

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

Short but sweet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users