26 replies to this topic

#16 ogami

ogami

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:13 PM

i answer in the material forum not to become OT.

#17 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the plug above Jeff,

That hamer neck you were talking about earlier on in the thread, that sounds like a prime candidate for blitzing off the top couple of mills from the top of the fretboard with your router (from the sustainer fit - great article by the way..) and introducing some sheet metal!

Trust me, it's not such a good idea ;-)

back on topic.....
so us gut string boys aren't invited to the sustainer party are we?- (that's nylonism!)

cheers

gary
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#18 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:12 PM

That hamer neck you were talking about earlier on in the thread, that sounds like a prime candidate for blitzing off the top couple of mills from the top of the fretboard with your router (from the sustainer fit - great article by the way..) and introducing some sheet metal!
back on topic.....
so us gut string boys aren't invited to the sustainer party are we?- (that's nylonism!)

Now if I don't switch the router on again that will be too soon. I'll chisel the fretboard off, I understand chisels.
Nylonism - WoW! I do think there is a device from sustainiac that fits on the headstock and vibrates everything, you have to keep your mouth shut tight to protect your teeth though. --J
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#19 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:24 PM

I think my missus has got one of those! though I don't remember it saying anything about headstock in the instructions! - (I'll get me coat, sorry for the obvious.......)

Thanks for the sustainiac info - I'm intruiged (and of course totally skint - damn!)

#20 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 11:01 PM

Oh, I never thought of it like that, sustainiac would be a great name for one. :D
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#21 Villager

Villager

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:09 AM

How long does the on-board battery last?
Fret not thyself - Proverbs 24:19

#22 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:17 AM

another question, (I'll get to try one soon I hope!), how natural does it sound on a 'clean' setting? can it sound natural clean? I've only ever seen Steve Vai using it on the fretless neck of his tripple neck Ibanez on the G3 video.. with the usual gain.

back to clankin' nylon now

#23 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:38 PM

How long does the on-board battery last?

Not sure, will measure and get back to you. --J

#24 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:41 PM

another question, (I'll get to try one soon I hope!), how natural does it sound on a 'clean' setting? can it sound natural clean? I've only ever seen Steve Vai using it on the fretless neck of his tripple neck Ibanez on the G3 video.. with the usual gain.

back to clankin' nylon now

It is a bit strange played clean as you expect a bit of distortion 'cause the effect is feedback sustain. No its not natural clean at low volume, its like someone is madly bowing the string. You have to try it. --J

#25 tbaker

tbaker

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:21 PM

I've been using the sustainer for about two years now, in my fernandez (which is for sale in another topic, if you are interested)... I think the bowing is more flutey and airy than an ebow, which gives a little more meat and more like a cello bow. I like to use it clean, especially for double stops. You can also do some really cool counterpoint on two strings using both the right and left hands to slide along the fingerboard. It is a cool sound, and certainly has a lot of possibilities.

TB

tombakerquartet.com
tombakercomposer.com
myspace.com/tombakerquartet
youtube.com/tombakerquartet

#26 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the info there, and yes I'd love to buy your Fernandes dude, but I don't have enough available beer tokens! but isn't that always the case.
Besides getting it through customs into Norway would probably involve me selling my vital organs ;-)

'tis just my technical intruige and gear lust which forces me to ask such questions..

cheers

gary

#27 Villager

Villager

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 04:28 PM

You can also do some really cool counterpoint on two strings using both the right and left hands to slide along the fingerboard.

Now that's one damn good reason to go for a sustainer! -V
Fret not thyself - Proverbs 24:19

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users