• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disaster Area not the band, the event itself

#1 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 30 September 2005 - 10:19 PM

Once I reluctantly had to share a German hotel bedroom with a work colleage from the UK.

His mobile phone needed charging and he didn't have a Euro/UK convertor. I hastily hid mine and told him I often pushed coat hangers into the socket and rested the UK plug on same.

Now I didn't dream he would take the advice seriously but I was an engineer and he was a salesman, his implicit trust resulted in a large flash, said person flung across room, entire floor of the hotel blacked out.

He was still breathing but we had to hide the fused coathangers under the bed.

Jeff :(
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#2 User is offline   rob 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:59 AM

jahloon, on Sep 30 2005, 10:19 PM, said:

Once I reluctantly had to share a German hotel bedroom with a work colleage from the UK.

His mobile phone needed charging and he didn't have a Euro/UK convertor. I hastily hid mine and told him I often pushed coat hangers into the socket and rested the UK plug on same.

Now I didn't dream he would take the advice seriously but I was an engineer and he was a salesman, his implicit trust resulted in a large flash, said person flung across room, entire floor of the hotel blacked out.

He was still breathing but we had to hide the fused coathangers under the bed.

Jeff  :o
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D
Beautiful, inverse example of the communication divide between sales and engineering. The office gossip must have been amazing. Did they ever trust you again?

#3 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:15 AM

rob, on Oct 1 2005, 01:59 AM, said:

Beautiful, inverse example of the communication divide between sales and engineering.  The office gossip must have been amazing.  Did they ever trust you again?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just about enough to cover up the following story, also in a German Hotel:

Well we were setting up this big exhibition and one of the junior members of the team, perhaps not used to the evening drinking regime, went to bed and decided to have a smoke to finish the night off.

Now everyone knows you should not smoke cigarettes in bed, and I do use the word cigarette in its loosest terms in this particular case. So junior passed out and only woke up when the entire bed, and his hair were alight.

Meanwhile I went to bed and was in that initial alcohol fuelled slumber it is nigh impossible to wake anyone from. Eventually I did come round, awoken by the 120db klaxon fire alarm sounding in the room. Dazedly wondering what the noise was I got out of bed reeled around the room in confusion, staggered into the bathroom, and to this day I don't know why I did this, but I lifted the toilet seat to check if the noise was coming from there!

After ruling out loud sounds from German toilets my brain clicked and said "Fire Alarm" remembering to grab a lot of clothes to keep warm in the evacuation.

Outside the hotel was the usual collection of guests, quite a few females inc. our crew in skimpy nighties. Why do they do that? "I've packed a nightie in case there's a fire" you really should have packed a warm coat because standing out side a German hotel for two hours at night you need a warm coat.

Well I'd just given my warm coat away to a deserving cause when a rather sheepish Junior confided the awful truth in me.

Turned out the damage was limited to one bedroom, the hotel charged us 6000 pounds sterling - and that was a lot of dosh to cover up in the nineties.

We did keep it all quiet though and Junior kept his job, but we didn't take him abroad anymore.

--j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#4 User is offline   thejim 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Bollocksician

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:19 AM

Now, I am a salesman and I take issue with the notion that we are all technologically inept.
Any fool knows that your colleague would have been in perfect safety had he removed his shoes and stood in a bucket of water. It must have slipped his mind.

-Did he get an honourable mention in the Darwin awards?
You're a grotesque, ugly freak and you're wrong. Thankyou.
http://myspace.com/fearsomegonad

#5 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:25 AM

thejim, on Oct 1 2005, 08:19 AM, said:

Now, I am a salesman and I take issue with the notion that we are all technologically inept. 
Any fool knows that your colleague would have been in perfect safety had he removed his shoes and stood in a bucket of water.  It must have slipped his mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't you have to be dead to get in the Darwin awards?

I won't tell you what he does for a living now, you'd never fly again.

Forgot to tell him about the bucket of water. :o

#6 User is offline   thejim 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:31 AM

They have an honourable mention section for people who cheated the system and managed to survive somehow. But they tried to improve the gene pool, bless em.

#7 User is offline   rob 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2005 - 09:57 AM

thejim, on Oct 1 2005, 08:19 AM, said:

Any fool knows that your colleague would have been in perfect safety had he removed his shoes and stood in a bucket of water.  It must have slipped his mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, not all salesman are clueless. But, the head office never listens to the ones who aren't. See, your solution above would have reduced the possibility of future complications. But, somebody in HR would have quashed the whole idea based on the number of requisite forms, blah, blah, blah...

#8 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:59 AM

rob, on Oct 1 2005, 09:57 AM, said:

No, not all salesman are clueless.  But, the head office never listens to the ones who aren't.  See, your solution above would have reduced the possibility of future complications.  But, somebody in HR would have quashed the whole idea based on the number of requisite forms, blah, blah, blah...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I used to think all salesmen were clueless, then I turned round one day and found out I was one! :o

#9 User is offline   thejim 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:10 AM

I bet you feel slutty.

#10 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:23 AM

thejim, on Oct 1 2005, 11:10 AM, said:

I bet you feel slutty.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, like I'd been with sailors. :o

#11 User is offline   thejim 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2005 - 03:26 PM

or trapped in a lift with a sex starved trucker.

#12 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2005 - 03:48 PM

thejim, on Oct 1 2005, 03:26 PM, said:

or trapped in a lift with a sex starved trucker.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we know a limerick about that. :o

#13 User is offline   transient 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Hon Member

Posted 01 October 2005 - 03:58 PM

sex starved truckers
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Band Name Alert! :o

e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#14 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2005 - 05:47 PM

There was a young man called Tucker
Who got stuck in a lift with a trucker
In a night and a day
Realised they were gay
And went out to buy a new cooker

(The cooker was a fucker, not tucker or the trucker, coldn't fry spam, they sold it on ebay.)

--j

#15 User is offline   thejim 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:21 AM

Heavens.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users