• You cannot reply to this topic

Smoothboard Guitars It's alive!

#1 User is offline   WolfV11 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

www.smoothboard.com

The irony was that I was having a conversation just last week about how this company seemingly disappeared! Great to see how wrong I was.

Whatever the reasons for the delay, it's great to see very affordable fretless guitars available.

Congrats to Brock over at Smoothboard for launching!
12 Ain't enough...
www.ericjacksonarts.com

#2 User is offline   Brock 

• Known Gaggle
  • PipPip
  • Group: Hon Member

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

Wow! You found that one fast. Smoothboard.com has been up and running for about 24 hours now. It's been an interesting three or so years and we had some outside events pop up and it wasn't the time to introduce the guitars to the world, but things have settled down and all is good again. And so, there they are!

Large Sound (the Ashbory Bass) business has been active and selling the whole time. We've shipped to six continents (step it up, Antartica!) and now we'll be delivering fretless guitars as well. It's great to finally exist on the guitar side of things.

My personal fretless (a modded Smoothboard Classic) has been quite enjoyable... ...since modding it for my playing. I'm sure I'll be mentioning it from time to time. I've really wanted to post up observations and whatnot as I was getting into my fretless guitar, but with no product launch in sight I didn't want to make an ass of myself so I faded off from here.

I was debating whether to announce Smoothboard here in this section, or maybe under "Total Bollocks" given the delay. Looks like that's been done for me. Kinda nice not having the exploding whale is a companion!

Thanks for caring enough to check up on us. We're around and we have guitars in stock and set up ready to ship out. Smoothboard is a "go"!

-Brock

#3 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Excellent news!
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#4 User is offline   Per Boysen 

• Known Gaggle
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Great knowing about a low cost option for recommending friends interested in going fretless.
Greetings from Sweden
Per

#5 User is offline   les fret 

• Known Gaggle
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Great to know that there are some budget fretless guitars on the market! How is the sustain on both guitars? My experience is that rosewood doesn't have so much sustain.
And are the side markers the same way as on a Vigier? So a marker for every 'fret'

What will the shipping costs to Europe be?
gitaarles en basgitaarles in Weert
www.gitaarschoolweert.nl

#6 User is offline   WolfV11 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

With good low action and practiced technique, rosewood should be no problem. Big issues with rosewood would be marks from roundwounds (which require periodic planing/sanding) and it requires more cleaning than other surfaces.
12 Ain't enough...
www.ericjacksonarts.com

#7 User is offline   Brock 

• Known Gaggle
  • PipPip
  • Group: Hon Member

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

We strongly recommend against roundwounds because they will eat into the fingerboard. The guitars come with D'Addario Chromes (flatwounds).

As to shipping costs, if you put your address into the online cart it will calculate actual shipping before you ever have to enter in any payment info. If something seems odd or out of whack, let us know (frazier@largesound.com). It's early on the Smoothboard side of things.

As to sustain, in my case I know it's less than a typical fretted guitar because I'm fretting with fingertips on the left and also often striking notes with fingertips on the right (and if I'm not, I'm strumming with two nails on the right hand). Depending on what I'm doing, I actually hear more difference between what my right hand is doing than if there's frets on the board or not. In other situations (particularily slides), the difference between a fretboard and a fingerboard is HUGE. Probably the biggest surprise I had with fretless guitar was that a lot of rhythm playing didn't sound as different from fretted as expected.

#8 User is offline   les fret 

• Known Gaggle
  • PipPip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

ok thanks. I was just wandering if there is a big difference in sustain between rosewood and ebony boards on fretless guitars? I have compared my Vigier (with metal board) to some rosewood fretless guitar necks and they all had less sustain than my Vigier. But it can also have to do with the setup I guess. On fretless basses I don't notice much difference in sustain between rosewood and ebony. But I don't know how this translates to fretless guitars because of the thinner strings.

Can you also tell us how the side markers are exactly? or maybe a picture?
gitaarles en basgitaarles in Weert
www.gitaarschoolweert.nl

#9 Guest_Newbie Brad_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have been playing a Smoothboard (now it's the Classic model) since 2008. The guitar is just fine. It's more satisfactory than it has any right to be! Sounds very good, looks perfectly fine on stage. I've very recently had mine shielded, the fingerboard sides smoothed a tiny bit where the joint had a little edge, and the best slick nut and setup, and that's all just because I've played the guitar 4 years and it's here to stay. The markers are in the style of electric fretless bass position markers. I use Ernie Ball roundwounds the .009 Super Slinky set, the fingerboard is of course happy as a clam with those.

#10 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

One thing about sustain... the lower you can get your action, the better it gets...
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users