• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

roundwound, halfwound or flatwounds?

#1 User is offline   les fret 

• Known Gaggle
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

I am looking for a new string set on my rosewood fretless neck. I am thinking of putting 011 with a wound G on it.
I have no experience with flatwound or halfwound strings. Of course I want the longest possible sustain (who doesn't?). And also I like a brighter sound.
Do flatwounds have much less sustain than roundwounds? I am afraid roundwounds will eat my fingerboard (?).
Are halfwounds a good compromise?
Of course I know it is trial and error and everyone has their own preferences but I hope to get some tips and suggestions here so I have some ideas where to start.
gitaarles en basgitaarles in Weert
www.gitaarschoolweert.nl

#2 User is offline   Bapman 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Hon Member

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

View Postles fret, on 09 April 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

I am looking for a new string set on my rosewood fretless neck. I am thinking of putting 011 with a wound G on it.
I have no experience with flatwound or halfwound strings. Of course I want the longest possible sustain (who doesn't?). And also I like a brighter sound.
Do flatwounds have much less sustain than roundwounds? I am afraid roundwounds will eat my fingerboard (?).
Are halfwounds a good compromise?
Of course I know it is trial and error and everyone has their own preferences but I hope to get some tips and suggestions here so I have some ideas where to start.

I'm using halfrounds ,
best of both worlds
bright as roundwounds
and as slide friendly as flats
swimming with a hole in my body
"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

#3 User is offline   les fret 

• Known Gaggle
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

Just ordered a set of these D'addario 011 half rounds two days ago. Only too bad that the G is not wound in this gauge. When you want that you have to go to 012
http://www.daddario....__Medium__11_49
www.gitaarschoolweert.nl

#4 User is offline   Per Boysen 

• Known Gaggle
  • PipPip

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

I use .013 - .056 flat wound strings on an ebony board. The sound is very dark so you might not want to look in that direction. But I chose them because I wanted such a sound on this particular guitar. It has humbucker PUs too. For reference, here's a recording of it:

Edit:
Oops... I forgot to say that I tune down the .013 - .056 by five half steps, to reduce a too heavy string tension.
Greetings from Sweden
Per

#5 User is offline   les fret 

• Known Gaggle
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

013 is too heavy for me. I play 90% of the time with my fingers and I think I prefer 10 strings also instead of 011. Have put on both sets on my fretless guitars this week.
The half rounds are nice but I still prefer the round wounds for now. Also I don't like the unwound G of the half rounds.
Are there also 010 sets round wound strings with a wound G on the market?

Thinking of putting some epoxy on my rosewood fingerboard. So I can put round wounds on it and also I think epoxy will increase the sustain. Not sure about that last thing though.
www.gitaarschoolweert.nl

#6 User is offline   Brock 

• Known Gaggle
  • PipPip

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

D'Addario Chromes flatwound strings go is small as a .010-.048 set.

Rounds will eat into your fingerboard. I have a 1984 G&L El Toro fretless bass guitar with a little wear (thankfully nothing major) where someone had decided to play with rounds on it sometime in the past. It had flats on it when I got it and it's only had flats since.

Here's the D'Addario page for Chromes:
http://www.daddario....3768&familyid=3

-Brock

#7 User is offline   les fret 

• Known Gaggle
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

View PostBrock, on 26 April 2012 - 04:27 AM, said:

Rounds will eat into your fingerboard. I have a 1984 G&L El Toro fretless bass guitar with a little wear (thankfully nothing major) where someone had decided to play with rounds on it sometime in the past. It had flats on it when I got it and it's only had flats since.

I play a lot of fretless bass too. But for me fretless bass only sounds right with rounds. It just sings more. If you have an ebony board the strings will not eat your fingerboard that much. And when they do you can just have your board flattened every three or four years or so. Don't want to compromise on sound.
www.gitaarschoolweert.nl

#8 User is offline   Brock 

• Known Gaggle
  • PipPip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

I have a 1984 G&L El Toro fretless bass guitar with an ebony board. It has a tiny bit of roundwound wear (tiny, but it's there). Plays fine. I use flatwounds on it, but that's not what kills it. I've had Ashbory Basses and they're sooooo much more expressive, and the poor El Toro hasn't got a lot of playing time. It's a really neat bass, Leo Fender G&L with the mid-rangy El Toro MFDs (which are extra nice for fretless IMO), but elastomeric (silicone rubber) strings win the day for me.

#9 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

The real damage from round wounds is letting fretted guitarists near them. They will tend to pull the string to bend the note, rather than slide (which is unnatural to them) this really digs into the fingerboard, whatever the material.
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users