• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The fretless tele

#1 User is offline   norumba 

• Unknown Gaggle
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Hon Member

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:29 AM

Hi gang!! been away form here for along time, but thought I'd give an update ...

The Vigier has been sold. As much as i liked the feel, i never did quite enjoy the tone of it. The Rick Canton fretless I had in NY '08 ultimately was not destined to be a fretless guitar (more on its final provenance in a minute).

In the intervening time, i discovered the joys of a regular Telecaster, and began to think of a fretless one. That finally came together and was completed this week:

Posted Image

Body is ash back, wenge front ; even though the body was chambered, it's still reasonably heavy, but in a good, robust, solid way.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Neck is quartersawn wenge as well, ebony fretboard with CA over it.
Posted Image

First time with a wood or wood /CA fingerboard. Dont actually notice a big difference in sustain, but wenge is extremely dense and stiff: coupled with the ebony/CA board and wenge top on the body may all contribute to help on that. Board feels faster, more articulate in some ways than the Vigier. Overall it's a cleaner, more organic sound, less artificial, somehow.

Very happy with it so far!!

So, Rick's guitar was to be out fitted with a regular fretted neck and put on the market. However, when i got it back a couple of weeks ago it was so amazing, that I've decided not to part with it!

i am however, giving up the sarod. I've developed some tinnitus over the past year, and the sarod is now pretty painful to work with. Its odd, even the electrics dont aggravate it near as much. I expect it s all the complex overtones from the sympathetics and complete absence of low end frequencies that contribute to it.

hope everyone's well!
M. Stefan Dill

sarod - oud - fretless guitar

carry Joy - build Hope - offer Love

http://www.norumba.com

http://www.myspace.com/norumba

#2 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

I really love the look and finish of this guitar, like you could play it in the woods and not be noticed.
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#3 User is offline   cchhrriisstt 

• Unknown Gaggle
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:19 AM

Really nice guitar !!!
www.lesmouvements.com

#4 User is offline   Newbie Brad 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

The Canton guitar in question sounded quite great in your hands at the NYCFGF that year.
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users