#1 User is online   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:39 PM

transient, on Aug 2 2005, 06:16 AM, said:

Kai, on Aug 2 2005, 06:12 AM, said:

transient, on Aug 1 2005, 06:03 PM, said:

So no pic of the guitar yet, but this might keep you entertained for a few seconds :) :
Posted Image

It's my DIY 4-channel mixer B)

emre
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That has got to be the most creative recycling of a tea tin ever! (It is a tea tin, yes?) And you can pop off the lid for easy access.

Now if it only said "Earl Grey" on it...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had bought that tin seperately, as i liked the fruit/flower graphics on it. But yes, it's the same size/shape of a tea tin.

I also have a few empty Earl Grey tins, and i did regret a little not using one of them afterwards.

Maybe i can put the tube distortion circuitry in an Earl Grey box... And one of the tins is reserved to be used as the core in my sustainer :blink:

e

Where technology meets bergamot essence...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heavens, a man that can dally with tea tins. They are a rare and treasured item here in the UK. An ideal box for a mixer but what does the tea taste like?

--j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#2 User is offline   transient 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Hon Member

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:33 PM

These tins will be the victims of my future experiments:
Posted Image

The badly designed box will be used in the sustainer, and the black box will be an effects enclosure.

As for how it tastes, well, not many brands available here. I don't usually use one brand alone anyway, i blend different brands/types of tea. Usually three types of tea are involved in this blend: regular tea, Earl Grey and Ceylon. Have not come up with a secret formula yet though.

And i don't know how you all make tea, but there's a Turkish way of doing it, which takes more time but tastes a lot better than the "keep a tea bag in boiled water for a few minutes" method.

e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#3 User is offline   rob 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:34 PM

transient, on Aug 3 2005, 12:33 PM, said:

These tins will be the victims of my future experiments:
Posted Image

The badly designed box will be used in the sustainer, and the black box will be an effects enclosure.

As for how it tastes, well, not many brands available here. I don't usually use one brand alone anyway, i blend different brands/types of tea. Usually three types of tea are involved in this blend: regular tea, Earl Grey and Ceylon. Have not come up with a secret formula yet though.

And i don't know how you all make tea, but there's a Turkish way of doing it, which takes more time but tastes a lot better than the "keep a tea bag in boiled water for a few minutes" method.

e
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool use of the boxes. You could design a rack system based on stacking.

Tea bags are evil. So, how do you make your tea? A Kenyan friend taught me his technique. It tastes really nice his way. He mixed about 50/50 milk and water, boiled the mixture and then steeped the leaves.

Rob

#4 User is online   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

Then there is the Russian way:

Make a really strong pot of tea in the morning. Use the brew as a concentrate, adding hot water from your Samovar during the day.

Nice and lazy.

--j

PS When the tea runs out, start on the Vodka.
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#5 User is offline   transient 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:00 PM

Well, the Turkish method looks like this:

Posted Image

I had drawn this sometime ago, using only Windows Paint.

* You put water in the bottom pot, and only tea in the top pot (but you can put a very little amount of water to moist the leaves).

* You wait 'till the water in the bottom pot boils (meanwhile the leaves in the upper pot get hot), then pour some of the hot water into the upper pot.

* You add more water to the bottom pot if necessary, and put it on -weak- fire again.

* In about 15 minutes, when the "grass smell" disappears, the tea is ready. (Another way to tell if it's ready: if the tea leaves are swimming above the water in the top pot, shake it lightly, and if they're still swimming, the tea is not ready yet.)

You end up with one pot of very strong tea, and one pot of hot water, so when filling your cup, you mix them according to how strong you like your tea.

The method does not involve any milk, i guess we like it heavy :(

e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.

#6 User is online   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:24 PM

I don't trust milk, it comes out of cows and smells bad if you leave it in the sun.

--j

#7 User is offline   thejim 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Bollocksician

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:59 AM

But then it turns to cheese. What more could you ask for?

I have an old fashioned espresso maker at home, I might try the condensed tea lark......

I hate teabags but invariably use them out of lazyness.
You're a grotesque, ugly freak and you're wrong. Thankyou.
http://myspace.com/fearsomegonad

#8 User is online   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:30 AM

transient, on Aug 3 2005, 08:00 PM, said:

Posted Image

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does that contraption exist in the real world?

If so what's it called?

--j

#9 User is offline   Villager 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:41 AM

Turkish Tea pot & kettle?

V
Fret not thyself - Proverbs 24:19

#10 User is offline   transient 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:58 AM

Well, it exists here. It's nothing complicated though, just two pots, one of which is a little smaller than the other so that it can rest on the bigger one. So you could make yourself one if you can find suitable pots.

The lower fire part is not a part of the contraption, i just pictured it on fire.

You could just call it Turkish tea pot :(

I came up with this pic upon a google search:
http://www.turkishta...eapots2pcs.html

e

#11 User is online   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:09 PM

Looks like I'll have to make a real effort to get out there this year. (Turkey that is)

#12 User is offline   rob 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:29 AM

transient, on Aug 3 2005, 08:00 PM, said:

Posted Image

* You put water in the bottom pot, and only tea in the top pot (but you can put a very little amount of water to moist the leaves).

* You wait 'till the water in the bottom pot boils (meanwhile the leaves in the upper pot get hot), then pour some of the hot water into the upper pot.

* You add more water to the bottom pot if necessary, and put it on -weak- fire again.

* In about 15 minutes, when the "grass smell" disappears, the tea is ready. (Another way to tell if it's ready: if the tea leaves are swimming above the water in the top pot, shake it lightly, and if they're still swimming, the tea is not ready yet.)

You end up with one pot of very strong tea, and one pot of hot water, so when filling your cup, you mix them according to how strong you like your tea.

The method does not involve any milk, i guess we like it heavy :(

e
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It must produce a great aroma. I'll have to see if can rig a way to try it. Thanks for the info.

Rob

#13 User is offline   rob 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:30 AM

jahloon, on Aug 3 2005, 09:24 PM, said:

I don't trust milk, it comes out of cows and smells bad if you leave it in the sun.

--j
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I only like my milk in solid (or semi-solid) form.

#14 User is offline   rob 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:36 AM

thejim, on Aug 4 2005, 07:59 AM, said:

But then it turns to cheese.  What more could you ask for?

I have an old fashioned espresso maker at home, I might try the condensed tea lark......

I hate teabags but invariably use them out of lazyness.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are we talking one of the hand pump kinda espresso makers?

#15 User is offline   gazmungus 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Bollocksician

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:39 AM

After my mysterious disappearance (bloody aliens again :( ) I come back to find the forum is talking about tea?

f*** me ragged!

gonna take me a month to catch up with all the posts....

your fx boxes look great Emre, I'm thinking of putting my compressor into a vaseline jar - :ph34r:

distortion unit into a baked beans tin would be cool! :(

_
gary

Stewed PG tips pyramid bag (punctured) in a grimey, chipped mug with whole fat, out of date milk - none of this poncey, skimmed malarkey.

Oh, musn't forget, NO coaster - mug rings enhance furniture.
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users