• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Confessional a quiet place to spill the beans

#31 User is offline   thejim 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Bollocksician

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:36 PM

Er, I don't like Earl Grey. I love Assam though.

Does quickbrew make you play faster?

My confession would have to be that I am a mole from the society for the prevention of cruelty to frets. I infiltrated your forum to try to save more frets from being ripped from their natural habitat. The carnage must stop!
Fretless guitarists, you are all freaks, communists or masons!

Save the frets.
You're a grotesque, ugly freak and you're wrong. Thankyou.
http://myspace.com/fearsomegonad

#32 User is offline   transient 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Hon Member

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:43 PM

It's called natural selection, mother nature wants all frets dead...

Fretless guitar is something like "dinosaurless earth", it will eventually happen :ph34r:

e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#33 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:44 PM

"Mommy, is that a fretted guitar?"

"Quiet dear, the thought Police will hear you."

(excerpt from: A Midsummer Nights Orwell)
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#34 User is offline   Newbie Brad 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:03 PM

Fretless really fascinates guitarists when they see one, at least when I play in ensembles with other guitarists they are fascinated by the fretless I play. It makes them horny. Only one person so far couldn't accept it.
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#35 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:33 PM

Newbie Brad, on Aug 3 2005, 12:03 PM, said:

Fretless really fascinates guitarists when they see one, at least when I play in ensembles with other guitarists they are fascinated by the fretless I play. It makes them horny. Only one person so far couldn't accept it.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hadn't really thought of the dangers of musically inspiring the horn in other players. Must take more care out there. :(
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#36 User is offline   Kai 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:02 PM

rob, on Jul 29 2005, 11:58 AM, said:

But keeping with the tea/geek theme, I once designed (about 50% done before I gave up) a programming language that I named Oolang.

Rob
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guessing you abandoned Oolang
because it was taking too long...

ducks, to avoid various tea tins tossed at his head...

In the mid-90s I was the alpha-tester for a Web scripting tool designed by one of my San Francisco housemates - it was code-named Mango, as our proximity to the various bodegas in the Mission district meant we had a plentiful supply of ultra-cheap mangoes...

I wonder why the desire to name one's creations after one's favorite consumables hasn't yet shown up in musical instruments? (Emre's tea tin FX excepted.)
[i]"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..."[/i] - Hunter S. Thompson
[url="http://soundcloud.com/csharporchestra"]C# Orchestra on Soundcloud[/url]

#37 User is offline   rob 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2005 - 01:00 AM

Kai, on Aug 3 2005, 04:02 PM, said:

rob, on Jul 29 2005, 11:58 AM, said:

But keeping with the tea/geek theme, I once designed (about 50% done before I gave up) a programming language that I named Oolang.

Rob
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guessing you abandoned Oolang
because it was taking too long...

ducks, to avoid various tea tins tossed at his head...

In the mid-90s I was the alpha-tester for a Web scripting tool designed by one of my San Francisco housemates - it was code-named Mango, as our proximity to the various bodegas in the Mission district meant we had a plentiful supply of ultra-cheap mangoes...

I wonder why the desire to name one's creations after one's favorite consumables hasn't yet shown up in musical instruments? (Emre's tea tin FX excepted.)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since I don't have a tin handy to toss :(, no, I abandoned it because my attention span was too short.

I really called it Oolang as a backhanded swipe at Java ( since I really hate programming in Java). So O-O lang, was a way to name it after a drink that tastes better than your average programmer's java and declared it to be a "real" O-O language. Does that put me into the category of hard core nerd?

I watched a program a couple of nights ago where Manecas Costa was one of the musicians featured. He played a pumpkin drum (sounds really cool!). But even with this one, it's actually called a water drum. Maybe we just can't handle the thought of thinking of our instruments as consumables?

Rob

#38 User is offline   gazmungus 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:17 PM

just a few thoughts on this thread......

can't stand earl grey! and I'm REALLY camp! :(

I'll give you aromatherapy! Nothing a half cooked, out of sellbydate microwave vegitarian lasagne with boiled cabbage couldn't achieve - with the added bonus of the ''duck slammed in car door sound effect'' - marvellous! ....... that's spilling the beans for ya.....

As my run of gigs last week stand testimony, the viking heritage drinking syndrome - at least in rural Norway(!) is a very scary beast - to cut a very long story short, I think frozen blood in winter is the least of their problems!

Had a bottle of guiness in sweden with a widget in it!!! - fantastic! and it wasn't that 3.5% supermarket stuff either..

I like the idea of consumable instruments - are we back onto the pink oboe cliché?

_
gaz

I confess that I have so many quirks that I now consider my few normal behavioral outbursts to be my quirks

:(
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#39 User is offline   Kai 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:00 PM

rob, on Aug 4 2005, 08:00 PM, said:

I really called it Oolang as a backhanded swipe at Java ( since I really hate programming in Java).  So O-O lang, was a way to name it after a drink that tastes better than your average programmer's java and declared it to be a "real" O-O language.  Does that put me into the category of hard core nerd?

Rob
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most certainly does. Can't get much more HC than that.

I was surrounded by Object-Oriented programming language fanatics back in that day. (Mango was written in C++, and its creator left behind a bag, which I still have, from an OOPSLA convention - Object Oriented Programming Software Language Association? Or maybe it refers to what happens when you accidentally drop a cabbage into a shredder.) :(

Don't know why I didn't grok that name - makes perfect sense.

On the theme of naming things after one's fave consumables, I always wondered why no geeks ever named a language Jolt... Actually brewing coffee was more work for a lot of geeks than guzzling mega-caffeine from a can.
[i]"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..."[/i] - Hunter S. Thompson

#40 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:12 PM

corcoran, on Aug 5 2005, 12:17 PM, said:

just a few thoughts on this thread......

can't stand earl grey! and I'm REALLY camp!  :(

I'll give you aromatherapy! Nothing a half cooked, out of sellbydate microwave vegitarian lasagne with boiled cabbage couldn't achieve - with the added bonus of the ''duck slammed in car door sound effect'' - marvellous! ....... that's spilling the beans for ya.....

As my run of gigs last week stand testimony, the viking heritage drinking syndrome  - at least in rural Norway(!) is a very scary beast - to cut a very long story short, I think frozen blood in winter is the least of their problems!

Had a bottle of guiness in sweden with a widget in it!!! - fantastic! and it wasn't that 3.5% supermarket stuff either..

I like the idea of consumable instruments - are we back onto the pink oboe cliché?

_
gaz

I confess that I have so many quirks that I now consider my few normal behavioral outbursts to be my quirks

:(
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gaz!!!

That is almost perfection, the bottle and the widget. How do they get the widget in the bottle, is it one of those things like when you get a ship in the bottle?

I thought you might have had a few really good perversions old fruit.

And I can't believe you mentioned vegitarian lasagne. Next it will be decaf, diet tonic and alcohol free lager. That's what a week in the woods does to you. Have you still got the banjo?

Jeff

#41 User is offline   rob 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:51 AM

Kai, on Aug 5 2005, 02:00 PM, said:

Don't know why I didn't grok that name - makes perfect sense.

You probably haven't been around enough geeks lately. Thankfully, it's an illness that subsides without exposure. I find it comforting that after I retire I may stop thinking in acronyms.

On the theme of naming things after one's fave consumables, I always wondered why no geeks ever named a language Jolt... Actually brewing coffee was more work for a lot of geeks than guzzling mega-caffeine from a can.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes, Jolt. It was first released when I was in school. The geniuses did their introduction and marketing blitz during finals week. I think the slogan was "All of the sugar, twice the caffine."

Every circle of programmers I've been involved with ends up on the subject of which drink has the highest caffine content at some point. So, I had to research the subject. Afri-Cola was what I found. I still haven't seen it anywhere. But now that you've reminded me of it, I'll have to look for it in the UK.

Rob

P.S. Check out the commercials on that site!

#42 User is offline   Kai 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:18 PM

jahloon, on Aug 5 2005, 05:12 PM, said:

Next it will be decaf, diet tonic and alcohol free lager.

Jeff
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see you haven't been to Utah... or, closer to home, observed that abomination often requested in Starbucks (itself an abomination), the (ugh) double decaf soy latte...

#43 User is offline   Kai 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:38 PM

rob, on Aug 6 2005, 04:51 AM, said:

Every circle of programmers I've been involved with ends up on the subject of which drink has the highest caffine content at some point.  So, I had to research the subject. Afri-Cola was what I found.  I still haven't seen it anywhere.  But now that you've reminded me of it, I'll have to look for it in the UK.

Rob

P.S.  Check out the commercials on that site!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Truly bizarre! The ad from 1968 with the vacant sexy nuns and the bad acid trip soundtrack is my current fave...

German commercials are a comedy genre all to themselves; I remember seeing one really over the top one there back in the 70s which was shot at the Olympic site near Munich where they demonstrated a laundry detergent's effectiveness by getting a football field sized sheet, having tanks drive all over it, washing it in the reflecting pool, and then getting helicopters to hang up it from the space needle tower to dry... I had just been to that site, so 'twas truly strange to behold.

#44 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:04 PM

Kai, on Aug 6 2005, 02:18 PM, said:

jahloon, on Aug 5 2005, 05:12 PM, said:

Next it will be decaf, diet tonic and alcohol free lager.

Jeff
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see you haven't been to Utah... or, closer to home, observed that abomination often requested in Starbucks (itself an abomination), the (ugh) double decaf soy latte...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mmm... that would be very annoying, generally I'm very relaxed, and only explode once every ten years. Last time was in a restraunt and the waiter was running down the specials and described one with the word "Fillea" (fill-ay) my reply was something like; "Its Fillet, its always been fillet and always will be, where do you think you f***in' work? MacDonalds?" the waiter was now off balace, "Say fillet", "fillet", "- good, now never pronounce it incorrectly again" "yes sir"

--j

#45 User is offline   gazmungus 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:00 AM

jahloon, on Aug 5 2005, 10:12 PM, said:

Gaz!!!

That is almost perfection, the bottle and the widget. How do they get the widget in the bottle, is it one of those things like when you get a ship in the bottle?

I thought you might have had a few really good perversions old fruit.

And I can't believe you mentioned vegitarian lasagne. Next it will be decaf, diet tonic and alcohol free lager. That's what a week in the woods does to you. Have you still got the banjo?

Jeff
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The widget seems to have been adapted for bottle penetration by taking on a kind of tampon guise but without blue string, seriosly!. I was so impressed that I kept the bottle (In reality I'm just crap at clearing the sh*t out of my backpacks)

And.... If you mix vegitarian lasagne, decaf, diet tonic and alcohol free lager in a food blender you get the scariest and most convincing fake puke i've ever come across.

It also doubles as a kind of plaster that won't set.....

Dunno what happend to the banjo, but the bald kid keeps following us around and won't piss off.

_
gaz
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users