Unfretted Forum: The Confessional - Unfretted Forum

Jump to content

  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Confessional a quiet place to spill the beans

#16 User is offline   Kai 

  • Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 2161
  • Joined: 12-December 04

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:46 PM

jahloon, on Jul 31 2005, 06:16 AM, said:

transient, on Jul 31 2005, 10:59 AM, said:



ON SALE! about 5% off, smells of something....

--j
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Geez, I guess I really started something with the bergamot link.... ... most amused by this little tidbit in the aromatherapy link:

Quote

Squirting the Essential Oil into a candle flame is a nice winter activity that fascinates children (and those who remained young).


Hey, they're talking about us!
[i]"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..."[/i] - Hunter S. Thompson
[url="http://soundcloud.com/csharporchestra"]C# Orchestra on Soundcloud[/url]
0

#17 User is offline   jahloon 

  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 6980
  • Joined: 16-April 04

Posted 31 July 2005 - 04:14 PM

Squirting, mmm... too close to curries and bottoms for my liking.

Well if it keeps the children amused.

The new Earl Grey by "Akbar" (translation) is most satisfying.

--j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
0

#18 User is offline   Kai 

  • Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 2161
  • Joined: 12-December 04

Posted 31 July 2005 - 04:33 PM

jahloon, on Jul 31 2005, 11:14 AM, said:

The new Earl Grey by "Akbar" (translation) is most satisfying.

--j
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


That's great! ("Akbar" means "great"... :) )

I've been drinking an organic EG* from a French company, St. Dalfour. Quite nice. Ties in with the Jean-Luc Picard theme, I guess. Comes in bags, I'm afraid, each in a "hermetically-sealed pouch" one tears open. (Who are these hermits who go around sealing things?) Does seem fresh.

*hmmm, isn't there an "EG" line of guitars already? One could have a fretless version with the fingerboards pre-treated in the factory with bergamot... Pearl inlays of tea leaves... :blink:
[i]"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..."[/i] - Hunter S. Thompson
[url="http://soundcloud.com/csharporchestra"]C# Orchestra on Soundcloud[/url]
0

#19 User is offline   transient 

  • Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Hon Member
  • Posts: 869
  • Joined: 29-August 04

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

After reading that bergamot is in the same family with lemon (it's some kind of an orange), i do really think that it would work fine for fingerboards. Now, who's gonna try it first? :blink:

Rubbing EG tea on the fingerboard as a cheap solution? Hmmm... :)

.
e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...
0

#20 User is offline   Kai 

  • Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 2161
  • Joined: 12-December 04

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:06 PM

transient, on Jul 31 2005, 12:12 PM, said:

After reading that bergamot is in the same family with lemon (it's some kind of an orange), i do really think that it would work fine for fingerboards. Now, who's gonna try it first? :)

e
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


I'm most tempted to order a small vial... If all else fails I could transform some of the Irish Breakfast and Darjeeling in my cupboard.
[i]"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..."[/i] - Hunter S. Thompson
[url="http://soundcloud.com/csharporchestra"]C# Orchestra on Soundcloud[/url]
0

#21 User is offline   transient 

  • Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Hon Member
  • Posts: 869
  • Joined: 29-August 04

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:34 PM

Kai, on Jul 31 2005, 09:06 PM, said:

I'm most tempted to order a small vial... If all else fails I could transform some of the Irish Breakfast and Darjeeling in my cupboard.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Yeah, you can never have too much bergamot oil anyway :)

I had bought a bottle of gel soap a few months ago, which was bergamot+(something else) flavoured. But unfortunately it didn't have much bergamot flavour in it, you would hardly notice it's there if it hadn't been written on the bottle. :ph34r:

.
e

Here you can see what the bergamot orange looks like, in case you see 'em in a neighbour's garden:
http://www.barrys-te...rgamot_oil.html
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...
0

#22 User is offline   jahloon 

  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 6980
  • Joined: 16-April 04

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:40 AM

Kai, on Jul 31 2005, 04:33 PM, said:

jahloon, on Jul 31 2005, 11:14 AM, said:

The new Earl Grey by "Akbar" (translation) is most satisfying.

--j
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


That's great! ("Akbar" means "great"... :) )

I've been drinking an organic EG* from a French company, St. Dalfour. Quite nice. Ties in with the Jean-Luc Picard theme, I guess. Comes in bags, I'm afraid, each in a "hermetically-sealed pouch" one tears open. (Who are these hermits who go around sealing things?) Does seem fresh.

*hmmm, isn't there an "EG" line of guitars already? One could have a fretless version with the fingerboards pre-treated in the factory with bergamot... Pearl inlays of tea leaves... :blink:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Akbar certainly fits the bill as the tea was most satisfying, excellent quality.

The sealed bags are quite a good idea as the bergamot oil tends to fly away if your tea container doesn't have a really good seal.

On a stronger note, a bottle of Speckled Hen has been laid down in the fridge. 5.2% by volume and a thirst quenching 500ml serving. That's 2.6 units of alcohol. You really should get it in bottles, shows off the colour.

Anyone for a debate on bottles vs cans for beer?

--j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
0

#23 User is offline   transient 

  • Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Hon Member
  • Posts: 869
  • Joined: 29-August 04

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:23 AM

Well, since this is a confession area...

I don't like any of the alcohol drinks :ph34r: I like to keep my mind clear, and you know, alcohol has weird effects on that :blink:

I probably have not drank more than 20 bottles of beer my entire life :)

Ok, confessed :D

.
e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...
0

#24 User is offline   jahloon 

  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 6980
  • Joined: 16-April 04

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:17 AM

transient, on Aug 1 2005, 09:23 AM, said:

Well, since this is a confession area...

I don't like any of the alcohol drinks :ph34r: I like to keep my mind clear, and you know, alcohol has weird effects on that :blink:

I probably have not drank more than 20 bottles of beer my entire life :)

Ok, confessed :D

.
e
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Not a bad thing at all, depends on your genes, if you are Viking descent you actually need alcohol to survive. --j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
0

#25 User is offline   Bapman 

  • Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Hon Member
  • Posts: 703
  • Joined: 19-April 05

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:37 AM

jahloon, on Aug 1 2005, 12:17 PM, said:

Not a bad thing at all, depends on your genes, if you are Viking descent you actually need alcohol to survive. --j
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Well being of Viking heritage , i can tell you that it's used for blood defrost.
( no kidding ) the winters here...... :blink: :)


Bapman
swimming with a hole in my body
"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch
0

#26 User is offline   rob 

  • Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 1160
  • Joined: 15-January 05

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:45 PM

I didn't drink at all until I was in my mid-30's. Then a friend from Scotland introduced me to Lagavulin. That pretty much did me in. I haven't stopped drinking since.

Bottles vs. Cans? I've never heard of can fermentation, so, bottles it is.
A cousin of old speckled. Pretty good too. It was the first not-drunk-in-the-pub English beer I really liked. I've found several others since that I enjoy more, but still like Hen's Tooth.

Bergamot:
I was at my local health food shop today. So, I checked out the prices on Bergamot oil. Ouch! But then I realized that I probably wouldn't want to use the oil straight. Does anyone have a recipe for lemon oil guitar conditioner/cleaner? I was also thinking that tea tree oil might be good. It would have the added benefit of repelling insects at the outdoor gigs.

Rob
0

#27 User is offline   Kai 

  • Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 2161
  • Joined: 12-December 04

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:39 AM

Lest I continue to convey the impression that I'm a beery old sot (Sing along with the Australian Philosophy Dept. now: "...Rene Descartes was a drunken old fart - I drink therefore I am!"), I hasten to add that I drink only socially and/or on very special occasions - many weeks often go by between imbibes. Coffee and tea - preferably organic, coffee especially being one of the most heavily sprayed crops in the world - on the other hand are a daily habit.

The case for cans for imports like the Hen (and Guinness) has to do with the flourescent lights in American coolers - said to adversely affect the brews. Though I suppose the dark brown type bottles might protect a bit more. And the cans have a dongle thingie (no, they can't be used to validate your copy of the Waves FX bundle) that has something to do with the "draught-in-a-can" technology. And I do believe there is can fermentation going on there.

I think I'd like the scent of Bergamot on the guitar better than melaleuca (tea tree), which is rather strong in the various soaps I've tried. Good for the skin though!
[i]"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..."[/i] - Hunter S. Thompson
[url="http://soundcloud.com/csharporchestra"]C# Orchestra on Soundcloud[/url]
0

#28 User is offline   jahloon 

  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 6980
  • Joined: 16-April 04

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:31 AM

rob, on Aug 1 2005, 11:45 PM, said:

I was also thinking that tea tree oil might be good.  It would have the added benefit of repelling insects at the outdoor gigs.

Rob
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


I do draw the line at Tea Tree Oil. My first wife was an avid user. So I'm on the side of the insects with this one, quick pass the sick bucket.

--j :ph34r:
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
0

#29 User is offline   jahloon 

  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 6980
  • Joined: 16-April 04

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:38 AM

Kai, on Aug 2 2005, 03:39 AM, said:

The case for cans for imports like the Hen (and Guinness) has to do with the flourescent lights in  American coolers - said to adversely affect the brews. Though I suppose the dark brown type bottles might protect a bit more. And the cans have a dongle thingie (no, they can't be used to validate your copy of the Waves FX bundle) that has something to do with the "draught-in-a-can" technology. And I do believe there is can fermentation going on there.

I think I'd like the scent of Bergamot on the guitar better than melaleuca (tea tree), which is rather strong in the various soaps I've tried. Good for the skin though!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Guiness in a bottle is pretty foul, you do need the "widget" in the can technology to make it drinkable. Didn't realise you got UV in American coolers. Another place to get a tan.

Wouldn't can fermentation cause distortion of the can and bulging? I suppose you could always tell which one was ready to blow. - Ah yes, that's why you need the lights.

In general I find bottles keep beer better than cans. I think in Denmark you are not allowed to can beer, and the Danes know about beer.

--j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
0

#30 User is offline   transient 

  • Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Hon Member
  • Posts: 869
  • Joined: 29-August 04

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:39 AM

rob, on Aug 2 2005, 02:45 AM, said:

I was also thinking that tea tree oil might be good. It would have the added benefit of repelling insects at the outdoor gigs.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Bergamot does that too:
"It is also used as a natural insect repellant, just mix it with some lotion."

.
e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...
0

Share this topic:


  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users