• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:46 PM

Take a look:
http://www.buyaromat...rgamot_oil.html

e

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ON SALE! about 5% off, smells of something....

--j

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Geez, I guess I really started something with the bergamot link.... ... most amused by this little tidbit in the aromatherapy link:

Squirting the Essential Oil into a candle flame is a nice winter activity that fascinates children (and those who remained young).

Hey, they're talking about us!
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#17 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 04:14 PM

Squirting, mmm... too close to curries and bottoms for my liking.

Well if it keeps the children amused.

The new Earl Grey by "Akbar" (translation) is most satisfying.

--j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#18 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 04:33 PM

--j

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's great! ("Akbar" means "great"... :) )

I've been drinking an organic EG* from a French company, St. Dalfour. Quite nice. Ties in with the Jean-Luc Picard theme, I guess. Comes in bags, I'm afraid, each in a "hermetically-sealed pouch" one tears open. (Who are these hermits who go around sealing things?) Does seem fresh.

*hmmm, isn't there an "EG" line of guitars already? One could have a fretless version with the fingerboards pre-treated in the factory with bergamot... Pearl inlays of tea leaves... :blink:
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson

#19 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

After reading that bergamot is in the same family with lemon (it's some kind of an orange), i do really think that it would work fine for fingerboards. Now, who's gonna try it first? :blink:

Rubbing EG tea on the fingerboard as a cheap solution? Hmmm... :)

e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#20 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:06 PM

After reading that bergamot is in the same family with lemon (it's some kind of an orange), i do really think that it would work fine for fingerboards. Now, who's gonna try it first? :)

e

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm most tempted to order a small vial... If all else fails I could transform some of the Irish Breakfast and Darjeeling in my cupboard.

#21 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:34 PM

I'm most tempted to order a small vial... If all else fails I could transform some of the Irish Breakfast and Darjeeling in my cupboard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, you can never have too much bergamot oil anyway :)

I had bought a bottle of gel soap a few months ago, which was bergamot+(something else) flavoured. But unfortunately it didn't have much bergamot flavour in it, you would hardly notice it's there if it hadn't been written on the bottle. :ph34r:

e

Here you can see what the bergamot orange looks like, in case you see 'em in a neighbour's garden:
http://www.barrys-te...rgamot_oil.html
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.

#22 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:40 AM

--j

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's great! ("Akbar" means "great"... :) )

I've been drinking an organic EG* from a French company, St. Dalfour. Quite nice. Ties in with the Jean-Luc Picard theme, I guess. Comes in bags, I'm afraid, each in a "hermetically-sealed pouch" one tears open. (Who are these hermits who go around sealing things?) Does seem fresh.

*hmmm, isn't there an "EG" line of guitars already? One could have a fretless version with the fingerboards pre-treated in the factory with bergamot... Pearl inlays of tea leaves... :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Akbar certainly fits the bill as the tea was most satisfying, excellent quality.

The sealed bags are quite a good idea as the bergamot oil tends to fly away if your tea container doesn't have a really good seal.

On a stronger note, a bottle of Speckled Hen has been laid down in the fridge. 5.2% by volume and a thirst quenching 500ml serving. That's 2.6 units of alcohol. You really should get it in bottles, shows off the colour.

Anyone for a debate on bottles vs cans for beer?

--j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#23 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:23 AM

Well, since this is a confession area...

I don't like any of the alcohol drinks :ph34r: I like to keep my mind clear, and you know, alcohol has weird effects on that :blink:

I probably have not drank more than 20 bottles of beer my entire life :)

Ok, confessed :D

e

#24 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:17 AM

Well, since this is a confession area...

I don't like any of the alcohol drinks :ph34r: I like to keep my mind clear, and you know, alcohol has weird effects on that :blink:

I probably have not drank more than 20 bottles of beer my entire life :)

Ok, confessed :D

e

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not a bad thing at all, depends on your genes, if you are Viking descent you actually need alcohol to survive. --j

#25 Bapman

Bapman

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:37 AM

Not a bad thing at all, depends on your genes, if you are Viking descent you actually need alcohol to survive. --j

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well being of Viking heritage , i can tell you that it's used for blood defrost.
( no kidding ) the winters here...... :blink: :)

Bapman
swimming with a hole in my body
"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

#26 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:45 PM

I didn't drink at all until I was in my mid-30's. Then a friend from Scotland introduced me to Lagavulin. That pretty much did me in. I haven't stopped drinking since.

Bottles vs. Cans? I've never heard of can fermentation, so, bottles it is.
A cousin of old speckled. Pretty good too. It was the first not-drunk-in-the-pub English beer I really liked. I've found several others since that I enjoy more, but still like Hen's Tooth.

Bergamot:
I was at my local health food shop today. So, I checked out the prices on Bergamot oil. Ouch! But then I realized that I probably wouldn't want to use the oil straight. Does anyone have a recipe for lemon oil guitar conditioner/cleaner? I was also thinking that tea tree oil might be good. It would have the added benefit of repelling insects at the outdoor gigs.

Rob

#27 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:39 AM

Lest I continue to convey the impression that I'm a beery old sot (Sing along with the Australian Philosophy Dept. now: "...Rene Descartes was a drunken old fart - I drink therefore I am!"), I hasten to add that I drink only socially and/or on very special occasions - many weeks often go by between imbibes. Coffee and tea - preferably organic, coffee especially being one of the most heavily sprayed crops in the world - on the other hand are a daily habit.

The case for cans for imports like the Hen (and Guinness) has to do with the flourescent lights in American coolers - said to adversely affect the brews. Though I suppose the dark brown type bottles might protect a bit more. And the cans have a dongle thingie (no, they can't be used to validate your copy of the Waves FX bundle) that has something to do with the "draught-in-a-can" technology. And I do believe there is can fermentation going on there.

I think I'd like the scent of Bergamot on the guitar better than melaleuca (tea tree), which is rather strong in the various soaps I've tried. Good for the skin though!

#28 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:31 AM

I was also thinking that tea tree oil might be good.  It would have the added benefit of repelling insects at the outdoor gigs.

Rob

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do draw the line at Tea Tree Oil. My first wife was an avid user. So I'm on the side of the insects with this one, quick pass the sick bucket.

--j :ph34r:

#29 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:38 AM

The case for cans for imports like the Hen (and Guinness) has to do with the flourescent lights in  American coolers - said to adversely affect the brews. Though I suppose the dark brown type bottles might protect a bit more. And the cans have a dongle thingie (no, they can't be used to validate your copy of the Waves FX bundle) that has something to do with the "draught-in-a-can" technology. And I do believe there is can fermentation going on there.

I think I'd like the scent of Bergamot on the guitar better than melaleuca (tea tree), which is rather strong in the various soaps I've tried. Good for the skin though!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guiness in a bottle is pretty foul, you do need the "widget" in the can technology to make it drinkable. Didn't realise you got UV in American coolers. Another place to get a tan.

Wouldn't can fermentation cause distortion of the can and bulging? I suppose you could always tell which one was ready to blow. - Ah yes, that's why you need the lights.

In general I find bottles keep beer better than cans. I think in Denmark you are not allowed to can beer, and the Danes know about beer.

--j

#30 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:39 AM

I was also thinking that tea tree oil might be good. It would have the added benefit of repelling insects at the outdoor gigs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bergamot does that too:
"It is also used as a natural insect repellant, just mix it with some lotion."

e

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users