• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Village of the Unfretted - CD 35 artists, double album

#46 Guest_VVV_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:27 PM

I am going to mail my soon unless you want the track a different way. I would like to re-mix & re-mix, but I am happy. We stretched, & it was a blast...........MAV

#47 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:38 PM

Well the Ides of March have come, and nearly are past, so it is time to submit our songs and musings.

If, and we hope, it is a nice hi-res *.wav type track, it is better to post it direct to me. If you don't know the address just drop me an e-mail. On the other hand we are not afraid of large downloads, ftp transfers or anything else.

But lets get rolliing.....

===j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#48 User is offline   transient 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Hon Member

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:59 PM

Well, i'm starting recording tomorrow (my tube-pre has arrived), the track should be ready in a few days...if it's not too late...

About the mastering issue, here are my thoughts:
Since this will not be a mainstream popular music CD, i think the regular mastering approach (where tracks are extremely compressed to make them loud -and disturbing-, while at the same time removing all the dynamic range there is in the track to make it sound boring) should be avoided. A subtle kind of mastering which roughly equalizes the individual track volumes, while maybe with little compression/eq applied to the tracks that could benefit from it, would be enough.

e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#49 User is offline   rob 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:07 AM

transient, on Mar 17 2005, 11:59 PM, said:

Well, i'm starting recording tomorrow (my tube-pre has arrived), the track should be ready in a few days...if it's not too late...

About the mastering issue, here are my thoughts:
Since this will not be a mainstream popular music CD, i think the regular mastering approach (where tracks are extremely compressed to make them loud -and disturbing-, while at the same time removing all the dynamic range there is in the track to make it sound boring) should be avoided. A subtle kind of mastering which roughly equalizes the individual track volumes, while maybe with little compression/eq applied to the tracks that could benefit from it, would be enough.

e

Are you saying you actually like the expressivity of some dynamic range? The next thing ya know, people will be saying they like live music.

P.S. I couldn't agree more. As long as the track to track volume isn't too different, let the mastering match the individual tracks. It's a collection from different artists after all. Let the art shine through. Leave the blandification to Sony.

P.P.S. Where am I going to be able to buy this? I think it would be too cool if I could get it from the iTunes music store.

Rob

#50 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:44 AM

Rob,

Currently the plan is to sell via the website and CD baby. That's for low volume.

If there is enough interest for a professional run, that's wrapped with a barcode, glass master etc. then we could sell via a lot more sources, Guitar Nine etc.

When we have a master we can get an etimate on volume.

Tell me about the iTunes thing.

Jeff
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#51 User is offline   rob 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:55 AM

jahloon, on Mar 18 2005, 06:44 AM, said:

Rob,

Currently the plan is to sell via the website and CD baby. That's for low volume.

If there is enough interest for a professional run, that's wrapped with a barcode, glass master etc. then we could sell via a lot more sources, Guitar Nine etc.

When we have a master we can get an etimate on volume.

Tell me about the iTunes thing.

Jeff

I'll do some research. I'll report back soon.

#52 User is offline   rob 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:36 AM

I mentioned iTunes Music Store because it is the one I use and I think it is the biggest. There are several others, so this might play into the way you would want to do this. There are distribution companies that specialize in digital download distribution. They have the ability to get you onto the various online stores in one step on your part.

Here is the link to Apple's iTMS marketing page.

There is a book about getting your music on iTMS. Here is that link. Don't know if it is any good. The stuff below would probably make it moot anyway. Included for completeness.

The path of the digital distribution company looks promising to me. The costs are minimal and you retain control and rights. Here are some links to companies I found from a quick search.

Psychobaby

IRIS

CDBaby

I'm sure there are many more. I'll try to run down some info on quality of service/honesty and such if you are interested.

It looks like the amount of money that goes back to the artist is pretty good using these methods of distribution. You've got no production overhead and the amount you get from the sale looks to be > fifty US cents per song sale.

#53 Guest_VVV_*

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:22 PM

Yeah, CDBaby gives you the option of working w/ iTunes................MAV

#54 Guest_MirthMAN!!_*

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:23 AM

I believe cdbaby will do barcodes pretty cheap too, if need be. Something like 20 bucks or something.
Just a thought, oh, and I need to get a track to you pronto.

Later Tim

#55 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:27 AM

Yes, the CDbaby deal looks the best, especially as they do the hard work of distribution and admin to so many outlets, what would be a full time job for someone.

So if no one has any objections, we could use CDbaby as the i-route, they also need some physical CDs.

Now this next bit is looking at how many CDs (that's real ones) we should be thinking of making. So its really asking how many CDs everyone would require. Can you sell them at gigs? How many friends / relatives require that special present at Xmas?

Just a reminder - its not about money, but on the same hand we don't want to loose any!

There's a couple of really good deals at the moment, will be posting details shortly.

Brad has mentioned the "Village of the Unfretted" theme and that we would have some tracks related to the theme and others not.

So in the best tradition of vinyl, how do we feel about one section of the CD being normal tracks and "Village of the Unfretted" appearing as a suite of songs?

There's nothing to stop anyone submitting songs to both areas.

Soon to appear on the main Unfretted site - a CD progress page, so we all know what we are up to!

--j

#56 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:11 AM

OK - the "Unfretted CD" progress page is now up on Unfretted. If there are any omissions, let me know real quick! --j

#57 User is offline   transient 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:32 AM

jahloon, on Mar 19 2005, 10:11 AM, said:

OK - the "Unfretted CD" progress page is now up on Unfretted. If there are any omissions, let me know real quick! --j

Me and Vill seem to be forgotten :D

e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.

#58 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:53 AM

transient, on Mar 19 2005, 10:32 AM, said:

jahloon, on Mar 19 2005, 10:11 AM, said:

Me and Vill seem to be forgotten :D

e

Sorted, but I did have you in mind!

#59 User is offline   transient 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:13 PM

Not that it's important, just to let you know...

I like the idea of dividing the CD to two sections. Have you rewritten the votu story?

How does the CD Baby thing work, do you do the publishing and give them the CDs, or do they do the publishing?

I think 5 CDs to each participant would be fine (even 3 is fine)... Unless the participant thinks he can sell CDs at gigs etc...

e

#60 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:14 PM

Its all economies of scale, if there is enough demand we can get a professionally finished product at a very cheap price, much cheaper than doing our own limited run. But I'm getting some quotes so we can all see the benefits at different levels.

I'm up for a major splash at the magazines / radio stations / bbc etc. its amazing how far you can get if you try.

The cdbaby - follow Rob's link, all will be explained.

--j

Share this topic:

• (58 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users