• You cannot reply to this topic

Village of the Unfretted - CD 35 artists, double album

#16 User is offline   transient 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Hon Member

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:04 PM

jahloon, on Feb 22 2005, 06:26 PM, said:

Seven!!! There's only 80 minutes on a CD... Oh, my mistake, its strings not songs, that was lucky.

Is there a length limit for songs? Not that i'm coming up with something long, just to clear things up.

I guess i could record a track around 3-4 mins, or come up with a few short ones. Which way would you prefer?

emre
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#17 Guest_VVV_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:54 PM

This all sounds great, & I'm glad I'm involved. May I throw out "UnFretted Roots",
"BeYond Frets", UnFretted & UnPhased"......................MAV

#18 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:48 PM

So many ideas! So little time, back to the limits.. 80 minutes are available so just do what you feel, if we run over that can go forward to the next CD.

Emre is right about jewel cases and shipping, so what about a simple version and a deluxe special edition?

Should that be "UnfreTTed Routes" ?

- UFTT
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#19 User is offline   Michael ATONAL Vick 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:45 AM

Should that be "UnfreTTed Routes" ?

Also, I might have a Glass & a Brass Neck ready soon enough to maybe be on the Comp............If not then my Trusty Ol' Tele-C will show-up w/ Free-Bananas!

Posted Image

VVV

#20 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:06 AM

Michael ATONAL Vick, on Feb 23 2005, 02:45 AM, said:

Also, I might have a Glass & a Brass Neck ready soon enough to maybe be on the Comp............If not then my Trusty Ol' Tele-C will show-up w/ Free-Bananas!

Now there's a title.. "Glass & Brass"

==j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#21 User is offline   Newbie Brad 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:34 PM

Um... I have worked out a pretty good way to do paper slip cover art layouts that are pdf formatted and sized so that a 8.5 x 11 sheet can be printed and folds pretty easily into the slip cover. I would be happy to take your draft layout and try to issue something close to that in the format I described. On the other hand if you were planning on using a print shop you probably won't need that.
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#22 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:54 PM

Newbie Brad, on Feb 23 2005, 02:34 PM, said:

Um... I have worked out a pretty good way to do paper slip cover art layouts that are pdf formatted and sized so that a 8.5 x 11 sheet can be printed and folds pretty easily into the slip cover. I would be happy to take your draft layout and try to issue something close to that in the format I described. On the other hand if you were planning on using a print shop you probably won't need that.

Any help much appreciated!

8.5 x 11 (Letter Size) is difficult (and expensive) to get in Europe. We are running on 210x297mm (A4) its thinner and longer (missus) approx 8 1/4 x 11 11/16 or 8.25 x 11.6875

It is very confusing here, paper is all metric sizes, beer is in pints but spirits in 25ml 50ml measures, 70ml and 1 litre bottles. Distance in miles, other things sold by the metre. People are weighed in stones and pounds, vegatables and meat sold in kilogrammes. Private parts still measured in inches, some things never change.

:) - jeff

#23 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:02 PM

Villager, on Feb 22 2005, 04:55 PM, said:

I think the traditional Jewel case is fine, or perhaps we can do both. V

I just had a flash of perspiration, some companys ship CD's internationally without the jewel case, but with the artwork that fits inside. This saves on postage etc. and allows you to receive said CD without it being opened by HM Customs.

(HM Customs regularly "inspect" CDs incoming to the UK for substances. Inevitably those from the Netherlands. It always brings a smile to my face when I think of the officer examining mine and exclaiming "Hey there's actually a CD in this one.")

So some sort of universal artwork that suits both formats would be the best of both worlds.

==j

#24 Guest_VVV_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 February 2005 - 05:20 PM

Now there's a title.. "Glass & Brass"

& High on Epoxy Blues......................MAV

#25 User is offline   transient 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:31 AM

jahloon, on Feb 23 2005, 03:02 PM, said:

So some sort of universal artwork that suits both formats would be the best of both worlds.

Jewel case booklet without the jewel case, that's a good option for shipping...

And actually, those both formats are about the same size, so one artwork fits all :)

e
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#26 User is offline   Kai 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:21 PM

In case there's still room on the CD, I submit for your perusal two older pieces of mine (from 2001; mp3s), both vaguely in the Hindutronica genre. (Conversion to Wav from their original SDII format no prob.)

The latter one, my George Harrison tribute (done right after he died) contains a melodic quote from his tune Blue Jay Way and a sample from his tune Love You To (on the Revolver LP) for which I would need to get the usual permissions before releasing on a CD (anyone done this recently?), but it contains a little more fretless soloing than the first one.

http://homepage.mac.com/kai_karuna/4Sarasv...Pearl-land.html

http://homepage.mac....i/RIPHariG.html

Regards,

Kai
[i]"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..."[/i] - Hunter S. Thompson
[url="http://soundcloud.com/csharporchestra"]C# Orchestra on Soundcloud[/url]

#27 User is offline   Villager 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:13 AM

timmirth, on Feb 22 2005, 03:47 AM, said:

I like "Unfretted Records and "Villiage of the unfretted"

I like both too, but doesn't Village imply something different these days?

Not that our village etc. etc.

Villager
Fret not thyself - Proverbs 24:19

#28 User is offline   Kai 

• Lesser Gaggle
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:33 PM

Villager, on Feb 28 2005, 03:13 AM, said:

timmirth, on Feb 22 2005, 03:47 AM, said:

I like "Unfretted Records and "Villiage of the unfretted"

Not that our village etc. etc.

Villager

Reminds me of what my teacher used to say in the poetry elective class I took back in music school:

"You're responsible for EVERY association of a word you use."

Those associations might include The Village People (egad!), Village of the Damned (Hollywood's title for John Wyndham's book The Midwich Cuckoos, I think) or "It Takes a Village", etc.

Not necessarily reasons not to use "Village", but...
[i]"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..."[/i] - Hunter S. Thompson
[url="http://soundcloud.com/csharporchestra"]C# Orchestra on Soundcloud[/url]

#29 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:14 PM

Kai, on Feb 24 2005, 07:21 PM, said:

In case there's still room on the CD, I submit for your perusal two older pieces of mine (from 2001; mp3s), both vaguely in the Hindutronica genre. (Conversion to Wav from their original SDII format no prob.)

The latter one, my George Harrison tribute (done right after he died) contains a melodic quote from his tune Blue Jay Way and a sample from his tune Love You To (on the Revolver LP) for which I would need to get the usual permissions before releasing on a CD (anyone done this recently?), but it contains a little more fretless soloing than the first one.

http://homepage.mac.com/kai_karuna/4Sarasv...Pearl-land.html

http://homepage.mac....i/RIPHariG.html

Regards,

Kai

Kai,

Both great tracks, listened them through a couple of times now.

Either would be great to have on the CD, permissions pending, perhaps the first if it makes things easier.

Nice.

Jeff

#30 User is offline   jahloon 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:24 PM

Villager, on Feb 28 2005, 08:13 AM, said:

Oh dear, what a sheltered life I lead. I was with Kai on the Midwich Cuckoo's film but now you mention it...

Reference to the Village in Manchester is very specific. I know Villager is not from there, but...

Funny how language can change over time.

I'm not any less happy with the title, just worried about the costumes for the photoshoot!

Anyone else worried / bothered / negatives / positives ??

--j

Share this topic:

• (58 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users