3 replies to this topic

#1 jonpickard

jonpickard

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

Hi Everyone, I just joined this forum and wanted to say hello.  I am a player of nylon guitars and harp guitars.  I was inspired recently by the sound of Cenk Erdogan's music in his youtube videos.  I thought about getting a similar 6 string version, but as I am into harp guitars I thought - why the heck not.  I have a friend who makes harp guitars (Sean Woolley, who lives in France) who had a spare HG lying around at home so I asked him to convert it for me - and here it is.  Its my first taste of fretless anything but am loving it so far.

I am familiar with Tim Donahue's amazing instruments, but I wondered if anyone else has seen or heard of this kind of fretless harp guitar anywhere else?

Attached File  Woolley HG 01 xtra lo res.jpg   29.65KB   1 downloads

#2 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,149 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:04 AM

Wow! That is a beauty... and no, I have never seen a fretless harp guitar like this. (TD an exception).

There was one made by the Larson brothers http://www.unfretted...tory-1900-1959/but that was fretted with the bass strings on a fretless board.

Please send me a few pics and a bit more history, would love to feature it on Unfretted.

admin@unfretted.com

Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#3 jonpickard

jonpickard

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

Cool, thanks for the Larson bros link.  I think I read at www.harpguitars.net that the strings on that unfretted neck were intended for use only as sub-basses like you say, as the 2 necks are so close together, I doubt there would be room for the left had to function on the upper neck.  I don't know for sure, but some other modern harp guitar builders do the same, for example https://www.facebook...45627364&type=3

Similarly this instrument of mine has an ordinary 6 string neck and the other 6 strings are lower in pitch, descending from D.  I'll definitely send you some more info.

I'm loving discovering some of the info you have on this site btw - a whole new fretless universe is opening up!

Thanks.

#4 Liquids

Liquids

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

Very nice!  I love fretless nylon string guitar.

Sometimes it's sad being a lefty...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users