66 replies to this topic

#61 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Very nice Tim, Akira was pretty good too!
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#62 Bent-Tonation

Bent-Tonation

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

Love it TD!
"Playing fretless guitar is like having sex without a condom. It is more dangerous & just feels better."
VVV

#63 Guest_TD_*

Guest_TD_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

Thank you Jeff & VVV!

Imagine ECLIPSE (with me on fretless HG of course) at the NYC FG fest. Woah...
Working with VVV, I hope to make it happen.
TD

#64 Per Boysen

Per Boysen

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Here is a quick pic of the GK3 mounted on the harp guitar.
Temporary fixing material is Blu-Tac
The string clearance is 2-3mm.
Posted Image

Thanks, now I see that you keep the GK3 on the guitar side. How does it work with fretless? For example, if you play a glissando note spanning a fifth or an octave. Does the VG99 sounds jump between half notes to follow the pitch?

I use a GR-55 here and really enjoy having GK3 PU's on two Chapman Sticks. So I'm thinking about maybe getting a GK3 for the TDHG I'm awaiting. It seems from your picture that the GK pickup is not as flat as the TDHG fingerboard. Do you notice any tracking issues? For my Sticks I have a special version of the GK3 pickup that is flat, but unfortunately this flatter GK3 won't work with the TDHG since Sticks have a much more narrow string spacing.
Greetings from Sweden
Per
www.perboysen.com

#65 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Well, that was the only mounting option and the blu-tac has to stay as the GK3 has to come off for it to fit in the case.

Currently I'm using the VG-99 as a modeller, not as a MIDI device (MIDI on the VG-99 is not good :ranting: ).

If the GR-55 works anything like other Roland devices GR 20/30/33 the only patches that will jump are piano / organ types, where the scale is fixed without MIDI bend information.

I feed the harp section pickup to the GK3 - that way you can split the processing in the VG-99 so the harp strings are processed in one channel and the main strings via another.

I'd like to process the harp strings too, but to do that would only be possible at the headstock, where the strings are too widely spaced.
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#66 Guest_The Madman_*

Guest_The Madman_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

Dear All,

I'd like to announce Per Boysen as the newest fretless TD Harp Guitar player,
posted on our players page.
Congratulations Per!

More TD Harp Guitar news:

The first 2012 TD Harp Guitar production run has been completed,
and I'm happy to announce 1 of each color model is currently in stock.
Our stock now includes 2 fretless models (Green Oil and Purple Oil finishes).

Details can be found here.

Special thanks to unfretted board members for their cherished input on the HG models
I now offer- to Jahloon for his Green Oil finish request and to Per Boysen for
his Purple Oil suggestion! Both colors are now offered as standard finishes.

To Christophe, for initiating our development of fret lines inlayed into our fretless fingerboards
(now an option on our fretless HGs)!

The pricing/options page has been revamped as well.

Very Best From Japan,
TD

#67 Per Boysen

Per Boysen

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

If the GR-55 works anything like other Roland devices GR 20/30/33 the only patches that will jump are piano / organ types, where the scale is fixed without MIDI bend information.

Thanks, Jeff. Do you set the MIDI bend range to 12 steps then (full octave)?. Anyway, I will soon find out as I just ordered another GK3 that I will try on the TDHG first. I want it on the fretless side... and I think I will use mostly fixed patches with a slow attack. So they won't interfere with my bending and vibrato playing but only chime in if I hold a longer note.

I just found my optimal tuning: All "normal" except for a thicker lowest string on the fretless neck, tuned around a low A, one octave under the traditional A string. That fixes my "bass issue". I'm finding that this harp guitar in this tuning now delivers a massive but well balanced output, so there's not much for anything substantial from the GR55. Maybe just some subtle "effect sounds" like adding a little buzz noise behind the natural sting tone. But I need the MIDI output to direct a vocoder driven by my voc mik (another reason to use fixed synth patches).
Greetings from Sweden
Per
www.perboysen.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users