8 replies to this topic

#1 tbaker

tbaker

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:08 AM

Did anyone else receive an email lately from someone called "Kevin and Colleen" who say "i made a fretless fire guitar for to sell to you because you are serious player" including a picture of said guitar? Guitar looks nice, but it is a really strange email. I was just wondering if anyone else got one, maybe from some troll on this site?

Cheers!

Tom

tombakerquartet.com
tombakercomposer.com
myspace.com/tombakerquartet
youtube.com/tombakerquartet

#2 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:55 AM

Did anyone else receive an email lately from someone called "Kevin and Colleen" who say "i made a fretless fire guitar for to sell to you because you are serious player" including a picture of said guitar? Guitar looks nice, but it is a really strange email. I was just wondering if anyone else got one, maybe from some troll on this site?

Cheers!

Tom

Didn't think we allowed Trolls, that e-mail certainly beats all those people from Nigeria who have $xxxxxxxx million to share with you.

I would dismiss it completely but the interesting angle is that there is a picture of the guitar.

Any ideas of the origin (geographically)?

Is it possible to forward me a copy?

Jeff

PS Perhaps we are seeing the start of a new type of scam?
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#3 Villager

Villager

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:51 AM

I go with the "new type of scam" theory, but its such an unusual angle, not like you can hit that many fretless players. Would like to see the picture. - Vill
Fret not thyself - Proverbs 24:19

#4 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:23 PM

Tom,

Maybe you've just got economic stalkers?

Jeff
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#5 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:30 PM

Well, we didn't have to wait too long.

I got this e-mail "hiii i made this fretless fire guitar for to sell maybe you can help me?"

This time it was from "Pedro Salinas" and shows the guitar, take a peek for yourselves.....

Posted Image

Any comments?

If anyone is interested I can forward Pedro's e-mail address, which I think is somewhere in Canada.

#6 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:54 PM

The guitar looks good... It could be some guy who built a fretless and decided that he did not like it, however he's using different names and that surely makes him untrustable. Maybe it's a stolen guitar or something?

emre
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#7 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:17 PM

I reduced the picture file size from 700K to 30K to suit the forum, will email the original to anyone interested.

My thoughts are as follows:

Looks like it has been carved from a single piece of wood.
Pickups don't line up, neither does the nut to winders section, which makes me think the builder is not a luthier.
The hardware all matches, suggesting it might have been taken from another guitar, otherwise why two humbuckers?
No sign of a truss rod :D

--j

#8 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:36 PM

Yeah, it looks like an amateur job. The fire body is carved so thin in some areas that it would easily break if the guitar's dropped on the floor etc.

Truss rod? It may not even have a neck under the fingerboard :D

emre
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#9 Villager

Villager

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:14 AM

Ha Ha, the headstock just says it all. In fact the guitar looks less and less as you go from left to right. Where are the volume / tone controls - too difficult to incorporate? Perhaps that is why it is fretless, it ain't easy fitting frets. Thanks for the entertainment. Vill
Fret not thyself - Proverbs 24:19

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users