#1 Frippian

Frippian

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

Hello Unfretters,

Is anyone here able to make an example of a fretless guitar being played with a gizmotron 2.0? (Or original Gizmotron)

I had heard of the Gizmotron a while ago, when I was looking into Led Zeppelin's "In The Evening". I have been lead to understand that Jimmy Page probably used an original Gizmotron to perform that "Bowed" sort of sound in the introduction.

I completely forgot about the Gizmotron until I thought about unfretting one of my guitars. I decided that I wanted some way to sustain notes indefinitely, and the Gimotron seems like a superior option for Fretless Guitar, more than a Sustainer, because I want to be able to sustain multiple strings indefinitely, which the electromagnetic sustainers cannot do reliably, as far as I know.

Unfortunately, there are no video or audio examples I have been able to find where-in the performer is using a Gizmotron on a Fretless guitar or bass. If anyone here is able to direct me to such examples, I'd really appreciate it!

Here is a link to the Gizmotron website video gallery if anyone is interested: https://www.gizmotron.com/videos

Thank you everyone!

(Edit: I'm not entirely sure if this is the appropriate topical category to post this under. Ultimately, I'm looking to see if it is viable to equip a fretless guitar with a Gizmotron, because I'm unsure if the strings would vibrate properly when one of the vibrating end nodes is my finger, as opposed to a fret. I think that is appropriate to post under this topical category.)

God bless

Edited by Frippian, 11 May 2018 - 06:37 PM.

#2 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

That's a great idea, if I manage to pick up a 2.0 I'll make the video!

Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#3 Frippian

Frippian

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:47 PM

Excellent! Thank you, Jahloon! I understand from the Gizmotron webpage that there are several suppliers in the U.K, if you end up deciding to pick one up. I'm definatly going to get one eventually, even if it won't function properly on what will be my fretless, because it is quite simple to move it to any guitar you like, it seems. 

#4 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

I'm going to the North West Guitar show next Sunday, I'll see if I can pick one up.

Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#5 Frippian

Frippian

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:25 AM

Fantastic! I'm almost certain that it will function regularly on a fretless; it has a variable speed switch for the motor, which should be able to compensate for the soft vibrating node of the finger.

The idea of an analogue device for sustain gets me really interested. Digital is great when performing the physically impossible, but imagine the freedom of instantly variable, controllable attack, with no limits on sustain! 

Here's to hoping that this isn't a pipe dream!

#6 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

Well, I bought a Gizmotron 2.0 and it worked reasonably well on a fretless Strat, not so well on three other guitars I tried. Article and video to follow on the main site.

#7 Frippian

Frippian

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

That's exciting!

I assume that it wasn't too difficult to move the unit between four guitars then, eh? 

I'll be keeping an eye on the main site for that post!

#8 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

Want to see a Gizmotron 2.0 (almost) fitted to four Fretless Guitars? We got it here, with a video...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users