4 replies to this topic

#1 Heldur92

Heldur92

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

Hi to everyone, I'm totally new to the fretless guitar, but I've been interested in it for some time now. I have a cheap old electric guitar taken apart right now and I've been thinking about converting it into fretless. One idea that came to my mind is to remove the frets and try to cover the fingerboard with stainless steel sheet foil. I could let the sheet foil to be cut into exact size and glue it onto the fingerboard. If it is reasonable to try it, then what thickness of the sheet would be best (taking into account that fingerboards have a little bit curved surface and the sheet must bend to mimic the surface)

Found this page where you can choose the thickness of the sheet: http://www.ebay.com/...Vr0CH9DSrkRcp8g

Thanks in advance!

#2 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:38 PM

A good metalworking shop will be able to cut the steel to size and also apply a radius to suit.

The metal boards on the Vigier are 2mm in thickness, you could go to 1.5mm or even 1mm at a push.

Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#3 Liquids

Liquids

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:13 PM

1mm would be fine.  Only the thickest kinds of fretwire are 1.5mm thick at the crown/thickest point as it is. Most are close to 1mm or in between 1 and 1.5mm at the thickest point. 

Just be careful on the edges of the steel sheet - you don't want anything sharp cutting your fingers.  And let us know how it goes!

Sometimes it's sad being a lefty...

#4 les fret

les fret

Unknown Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:06 AM

Good idea! Did anyone ever try a metal board on an acoustic steel string? Do you think it would give a more sarod like sound? and better sustain?

gitaarles en basgitaarles in Weert
www.gitaarschoolweert.nl

#5 Liquids

Liquids

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:16 PM

Ed Powell has built quite and modified a few "hybrid" instruments---sarods with wood tops, 'banjo/guitars' with metal fingerboards, etc.  He might be a good person to ask about it as he seems to have experimented with these variables quite a bit.

Sometimes it's sad being a lefty...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users