6 replies to this topic

#1 Sol

Sol

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

Well, I'm currently in Turkey, and I bought a Baglama/ Saz (I beleive the Baglama has a longer neck, which what I have) a few days back. Of course, it's not the most professional instrument since I can't afford that, but it does give me a good sound. :unsure: I'm getting used to the odd fretting, since it basically has all the regular ET placements as well as appropriate frets for quartertones of the Maqam system. I might just go ahead and rip them off when I get back to Egypt for a more fluid playing style :lol: Is that possible, if anyone has expierences with these things?

Anyways, I'm really not sure on how to tune this thing... Currently, I have it from low to high at B minor- F- C. Basically it's a bunch of fifths, which give an interesting drone, since that's essentially the purpose of the bass strings, from what I've observed of saz players.

After some googling, most places either ###### A-E-B or G-D-A, which all sound rather bland, or to basically tune it to suit whatever scale you're using, so mine's all-right for a lot of scales, and I can just slightly adjust them to sharpen or flatten the tones if needed for a scale with a natural B or a F sharp.

So any suggestions?

#2 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:49 AM

I know a saz player here (he also plays the Persian santoor, I've jammed with him) - I'll ask him. An old SF friend I've lost touch with bought a baglama in Istanbul back in '99, maybe I can track him down:

Posted Image
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#3 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

Sorry for the delay; my friend says see this site:

http://www.mid-east.com/Info/saz.html
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#4 Sol

Sol

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:05 AM

Sorry for the delay; my friend says see this site:

http://www.mid-east.com/Info/saz.html

Thanks very much :unsure: However, it's basically the same ######ation as the other sites...

Did you manage to ask if a fretless saz is possible?

#5 NZfretless

NZfretless

Gaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:02 AM

Hi Sol
How many frets does your Baglama have?If it has 19 it is a short neck Baglama and is tuned Aa gg Ddd (yep,strange tuning) & if it has 21 or more it is a long neck Baglama and is usually tuned Gg dd Aaa.These tunings are from the highest (closest to your face) to the lowest string.These are intervals not absolute notes so G D A could be A E B or higher ,it all comes down to how high you dare to go!Have a look here for some more ideas http://tribes.tribe......fb4b5c19eee2]

Cheers
Greg

Well, I'm currently in Turkey, and I bought a Baglama/ Saz (I beleive the Baglama has a longer neck, which what I have) a few days back. Of course, it's not the most professional instrument since I can't afford that, but it does give me a good sound. :unsure: I'm getting used to the odd fretting, since it basically has all the regular ET placements as well as appropriate frets for quartertones of the Maqam system. I might just go ahead and rip them off when I get back to Egypt for a more fluid playing style :lol: Is that possible, if anyone has expierences with these things?

Anyways, I'm really not sure on how to tune this thing... Currently, I have it from low to high at B minor- F- C. Basically it's a bunch of fifths, which give an interesting drone, since that's essentially the purpose of the bass strings, from what I've observed of saz players.

After some googling, most places either ###### A-E-B or G-D-A, which all sound rather bland, or to basically tune it to suit whatever scale you're using, so mine's all-right for a lot of scales, and I can just slightly adjust them to sharpen or flatten the tones if needed for a scale with a natural B or a F sharp.

So any suggestions?

#6 Sol

Sol

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:17 PM

I beleive it's the 7-stringed long-necked variety. Can't be bothered to count the number of frets right now :) After some problem with keeping it in my current tuning (I think the tension might hurt the instrument, because it is a rather high tuning :) ), I've decided to retune to AA-EE-BBB.

#7 Guest_Luann_*

Guest_Luann_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

So any suggestions?

Question -- My baglama is 6 strings and 23 frets. How do I tune it? (thin to thickest string). I've come across a bunch of sites and they all say differently but as I'm just learning it I'd like to know which is the standard tuning. Thank you very much in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users