37 replies to this topic

#1 Sol

Sol

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:32 AM

Basically, I was thinking about getting a Vigier Surfreter (I've been playing fretless for a while now... Well, I sort of started off playing Oud and then moving to fretless guitar.) but if I'm going to invest that much money, I want to get the best of it as soon as I start playing. So, while I like the sustain of the instrument already, based on youtube videos, I'd really, really like to get the Fernandes sustainer installed on it, because I'd just love to make it hold those notes and wail. :ninja:

But the thing is, is it possible? Even then, I still have a problem of who can install it for me. I contacted Vigier and they told me they couldn't do it themselves. I'm currently in a country that spe######ts luthiers for such a job don't really exist in (Egypt, to be specific) and I can say with great certainty I would not be able to do the job myself without permanently damaging my guitar. Neither Vigier or Fernandes still hasn't opened up in the nearest proposed dealer in the U.A.E., so I probably can't take it to them to install. I'm in a bit of a pickle. :rolleyes:

While we're on the topic, I play Glissentar. Anyone know how to increase sustain on the strings? I've tried just cranking up the amp, but it tends to blur the notes and annoy everyone around me while I'm practicing.

#2 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

While we're on the topic, I play Glissentar. Anyone know how to increase sustain on the strings? I've tried just cranking up the amp, but it tends to blur the notes and annoy everyone around me while I'm practicing.

Hi Sol, and welcome.

There is a page on Glissentar Sustain on the main website looking at Glissentar sustain.

If you really want to seriously improve the instrument, and that includes overall sustain, fit it with Thomastic Infeld Classic S series strings - KR116. (You will need 2x sets)

And yes the Unfretted page does promise a review comparison with the KR116 - but unortunately I don't have access to the test gear anymore. :rolleyes: But trust me the KR116's make a BIG difference.
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#3 Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

I think you can ship your guitar directly to the Sustainiac company for installation of the Sustainiac.

Basically, I was thinking about getting a Vigier Surfreter (I've been playing fretless for a while now... Well, I sort of started off playing Oud and then moving to fretless guitar.) but if I'm going to invest that much money, I want to get the best of it as soon as I start playing. So, while I like the sustain of the instrument already, based on youtube videos, I'd really, really like to get the Fernandes sustainer installed on it, because I'd just love to make it hold those notes and wail. :ninja:

But the thing is, is it possible? Even then, I still have a problem of who can install it for me. I contacted Vigier and they told me they couldn't do it themselves. I'm currently in a country that spe######ts luthiers for such a job don't really exist in (Egypt, to be specific) and I can say with great certainty I would not be able to do the job myself without permanently damaging my guitar. Neither Vigier or Fernandes still hasn't opened up in the nearest proposed dealer in the U.A.E., so I probably can't take it to them to install. I'm in a bit of a pickle. :rolleyes:

www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#4 Sol

Sol

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:00 PM

Hmm, I haven't heard sustainiac in action before, though. Is it as good as the Fernandes sustainer?Hmm, ok, so strings would help with the glissentar... Is there a reason why? Are they made of a more resonant material than the ones Godin provides? And are they expensive?Thanks for the welcome, by the way, Jahloon :w00t:

#5 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:03 PM

Hmm, I haven't heard sustainiac in action before, though. Is it as good as the Fernandes sustainer?Hmm, ok, so strings would help with the glissentar... Is there a reason why? Are they made of a more resonant material than the ones Godin provides? And are they expensive?Thanks for the welcome, by the way, Jahloon :w00t:

Don't know how good the sustainiac is, but I will try one soon.

The strings I do know about, they are high quality andfor more in-depth, read the website. Yes, they are more expensive, but considering the change they make, very worth-while.
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#6 Loren Claypool

Loren Claypool

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:55 AM

I have the Sustainiac installed in my Frankenstrat and it performs nicely. I have one of Ned Evett's glass fingerboard Fernandes guitars on order. It will be here in a couple of weeks then I can do an A/B comparison. I've played the Fernandes system on a couple of guitars and my hunch is that there is no significant difference. I'll post the results of a closer comparison in a few weeks.

You can indeed ship your guitar to the good folks at Sustainiac for installation. My experience was excellent work, communication, and customer service.
Loren Claypool
genre-indifferent instrumental guitar music
www.lorenclaypool.com
MySpace
Facebook
iLike
Twitter
Flickr

#7 Sol

Sol

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:53 PM

I may be heading to the U.S. this summer, so I may attempt to get the sustainer and surfreter there.

And thanks a lot, I'd love to hear the demo when you get to it. :lol:

#8 wfranklin

wfranklin

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

I ordered a sustainiac earlier this week (should be here at the beginning of next week). I'm going to install it on my lp-style fretless when it gets here (I'm also going to epoxy my board). The reason I went with the sustainiac over the fernandes unit is because the circuit board of the fernandes is HUGE. You will almost always have to modify the control cavity to accommodate the circuit board for the fernandes unit. The sustainiac on the other hand is designed to be mounted without having to physically modify the instrument (aside form changing the pickup). I have one in my strat and it looks stock (except for the pickup and a toggle switch that replaced one of the tone knobs). Here's a photo of it all installed into a 2hb 4 control guitar

Posted Image

In strat style, you need to find another spot for the battery (trem cavity works fine in my strat). In not sure what the body cavities are like on a surfretter so it might take a little investigating. I can say that the sustainiac might not be what you need though. There's a big speil on the sustainiac site about the interference of metalic objects (pickguards, paints, etc) on the sustainiac functions, so I the fretboard might be a problem. I can't say for certain, but I'd be willing to bet that a metal board would definitely affect the operation of the device. If it doesn't, that would be seriously cool though.

#9 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

Ed Degenaro has a Sustainiac fitted to a Surfretter.

Perhaps he might chip in and tell us about it?

#10 Sol

Sol

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

If only he would grace us... :whistling:

#11 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:55 AM

In not sure what the body cavities are like on a surfretter so it might take a little investigating. I can say that the sustainiac might not be what you need though. There's a big speil on the sustainiac site about the interference of metalic objects (pickguards, paints, etc) on the sustainiac functions, so I the fretboard might be a problem. I can't say for certain, but I'd be willing to bet that a metal board would definitely affect the operation of the device. If it doesn't, that would be seriously cool though.

The fingerboard on the Surfretter is not very magnetic, so it should be OK.

#12 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:02 AM

I may be heading to the U.S. this summer, so I may attempt to get the sustainer and surfreter there.

for a surfreter just go to paris/france... i picked up mine at the vigier factory last year...

#13 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

Ed Degenaro has a Sustainiac fitted to a Surfretter.

Perhaps he might chip in and tell us about it?

ed playing surfreter w/sustainer:

this clip made me wanting a surfreter badly... :ranting:

#14 wfranklin

wfranklin

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

In not sure what the body cavities are like on a surfretter so it might take a little investigating. I can say that the sustainiac might not be what you need though. There's a big speil on the sustainiac site about the interference of metalic objects (pickguards, paints, etc) on the sustainiac functions, so I the fretboard might be a problem. I can't say for certain, but I'd be willing to bet that a metal board would definitely affect the operation of the device. If it doesn't, that would be seriously cool though.

The fingerboard on the Surfretter is not very magnetic, so it should be OK.

well that is seriously cool then.

#15 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:44 PM

The fingerboard on the Surfretter is not very magnetic....

is it really magnetic at all ?!?

i'll try it with a needle tonite... :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users