18 replies to this topic

#16 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:38 AM

Well, I had to google Alaska Pics, might get some...

Wound 3rds - always get wound thirds on a fretless, though I might have one with a plain third, have to check....

I've found heavier strings on fretless are fine, you don't need extra strength like on a fretted guitar (though my fretted acoustics have very heavy strings, I like the dynamics of heavy strings, esp. playing jazz)

As for string tension - I like to play around a lot - you eventually discover what food the particular guitar requires, no use forcing it into something it does not want to eat.

The carbon strings sound interesting, are they conductive enough to use with a conventional pickup?

My baritone guitar http://www.unfretted...tless-baritone/ tunes naturally to C, it didn't like lower or higher, just sounded and played great at that pitch. 

Ah Yes, the lefty problem, and the manufacturers that forget the 10%, it is a pity Godin don't cater as they are great instruments. They are not quite acoustic classical guitars, more like an electric with nylon strings. Even so Fareed Haque complained about feedback problems playing live. I'll try tuning my Multiac down to C when I can find it! Tend to play the Glissentar more which I usually keep in DADGAD tuning, perhaps try CGCFGC, doesn't have the same ring to it, does it? 

Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#17 les fret

les fret

Unknown Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

Quoting still doesn't work?

About the wound 3rd string: I prefer unwound on electric fretless. I used to like the wound 3rd string because it gives you more a fretless bass type of sound. But now I prefer an unwound because it gives you a better 'guitaristic' solo sound. And you have a more balanced 3+3 set instead of 4+2. It makes the transition from wound to unwound less drastic especially for lead stuff. For classical guitar you obvious don't have a wound 3rd string. Wound strings also have more 'sliding noise'.

But each his own of course.

gitaarles en basgitaarles in Weert
www.gitaarschoolweert.nl

#18 Liquids

Liquids

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:02 PM

@Jahloon - the "carbon" part of the strings I'm talking about is in regards to the three unwound nylon strings.  They are just a different (flourocarbon?) kind of nylon/plastic that has higher density than standard nylon strings. The strings are then thinner compared to plain nylon, meaning the G string isn't as huge in diameter and lower in tension (compared to the other string) as it is with plain nylon sets. 

The strings end up feeling a little more even both in tension and diameter from string to string. It seems most classical/nylon string makers are offering sets of strings based on PVF(?) or flouro-carbon these days.

For lefties...Godin is one of the better 'factory' type companies for producing lefties--but like most that do offer lefty, only 'certain models' are available lefty.  But that's actually better than "none."  It's really only an issue when one is looking for an instrument beyond the run of a mill which isn't a custom, handbuilt, one-off.  I think it makes sense from a buisness perspective, that they only produce the easier-to-produce and/or best selling instruments in left handed versions, otherwise the cost/benefit ratio for them is either low or they take a loss.  

I like the alaska picks for the fingers (thumb pick for the thumb)--I play too many other instruments and style where having "classical guitar nails" is an impediment. With the alaska pik you only need a small fingernail for them to stay on the fingers and to work.  It yakes some effort at first in trimming them, shaping them, and getting acustomed them, certainly (so that they don't pinch the fingers, so they have smooth edges, etc).  Now that I have them setup comfortably, I slip them on for that style of playing and those instrument(s) when I need them, and remove them.  Works for me, but they're not for everyone.  I would be interested in anyone who plays 'sarod style' tried them with a metal fretboard on the fretting hand.  I think sarod strings that are fretted are all plain/unwoud though--using alaska piks or fingernails to 'fret' roundwound guitar-type strings against a metal fretboard would probably wear them down rather quickly.

Sometimes it's sad being a lefty...

#19 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:35 PM

@ Liquids - thanks for the info on the strings

I'll try picking up some Alaska Picks at the local guitar show in a couple of weeks.

Not too sure how these will work out as a lot of my playing requires fingertips with a little nail stopping, so its a combination of styles I guess. 

I don't use much nail stopping on nylon strings at all, mainly on the higher steel strings if I need a longer sustained note.

Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users