UA-62480628-1

Photo

Most unlikely?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Chet rocks but who is the most unlikely guitarist to have a fretless skeleton in their closet?

Chet rocks but who is the most unlikely guitarist to have a fretless skeleton in their closet?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Villager

Villager

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:03 AM

Speaking of Cat Stevens, does anyone remember his third hit single "I'm Going to get me a Gun" ? Doesn't feature on current greatest hits or best of albums. If I sent my copy to Tony Blair he'd be up before the beak in no time at all.
:(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, number 6 in 1967, last of his "big" productions. He was off the road with TB for two years before coming back in his acoustic style and penning some great works. His conversion was some ten years later and he tried to get his record company to stop selling his records. Even now he does not collect royalties from the songs he considers immoral, I think they go to charity.

Vill
Fret not thyself - Proverbs 24:19

#17 Guest_The Outsider_*

Guest_The Outsider_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:54 PM

well, come on, did Cat Stevens ever play fretless?

#18 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:15 PM

well, come on, did Cat Stevens ever play fretless?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My question wasn't serious, you know. :D Just a reference to Brits on no-fly.

But I did learn some obscure music history re Mr. Yusef Islam. So "Peace Train" came after "Get Me a Gun", eh?

I remember playing his "Morning Has Broken" at a hippie wedding in Vermont back when he was still Cat. It's probably still used at such occasions. At least when the hired guitarist can't remember "Just the Way You Are". :(
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson
C# Orchestra on Soundcloud

#19 Villager

Villager

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:00 PM

But I did learn some obscure music history re Mr. Yusef Islam. So "Peace Train" came after "Get Me a Gun", eh?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love my Dog (1966), Matthew & Son, Gun (1967), Lady D'Arbanville (1970) then the rest.
All fretted.
Vill :(
Fret not thyself - Proverbs 24:19

#20 Guest_gazzza_*

Guest_gazzza_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:08 PM

I remember playing his "Morning Has Broken" at a hippie wedding in Vermont back when he was still Cat. It's probably still used at such occasions. At least when the hired guitarist can't remember "Just the Way You Are".  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D

Thankfully haven't had to do a wedding in a while......

Of course, nowadays his morning breaks with the koran etc

as opposed to mine, which usually breaks with a huge, satisfying fart and an intimate scratch.

followed by hangover report.

luverly.

#21 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:12 AM

Speaking of pop of European origins, today I went to IKEA Montréal for some Swedish furniture to take home in my Swedish car, and on the way out of the giganta-store I noticed they had a Swedish foodstuffs shop in the front. So although I didn't get the herring (or the herring) I had to get the following for the brand name alone:

Posted Image

(Just to hijack this thread further off track. Unless someone can unearth the use of fretless on one of their songs.)
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side..." - Hunter S. Thompson

#22 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:42 AM

Well, someone could write a song called Fretless Salmon Creme.

I once had the honor of playing Fogelberg's "Longer" at a Marine (as in USMC) wedding in a Slavic church in a small US steel town. Not hippie, nor Cat Stevens, but it was weird - and very, very purple.

Edit: I just remembered. It was played on my classical that is now fretless.

#23 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

Well, someone could write a song called Fretless Salmon Creme.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or a fretless 60's R & B number called Fretless Salmon Dave...

#24 rob

rob

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:50 AM

Sent me running for the Jaco track! "Come on, Come over" we're fretless again.

#25 gazmungus

gazmungus

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:05 PM

Speaking of pop of European origins, today I went to IKEA Montréal for some Swedish furniture to take home in my Swedish car, and on the way out of the giganta-store I noticed they had a Swedish foodstuffs shop in the front. So although I didn't get the herring (or the herring) I had to get the following for the brand name alone:

Posted Image

(Just to hijack this thread further off track. Unless someone can unearth the use of fretless on one of their songs.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

christ!

next there'll be Roxette Tampons

the swedes are taking over!

or is that the turnips?

fæn!

_
gaz fittan
<a href="http://www.gazmungus.com/" target="_blank">www.gazmungus.com</a>

#26 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,149 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:16 AM

It says "Laxpastej" on that tube, does that mean what I think it means?

:lol:

Salmon flavoured laxative paste in a tube endorsed by a pop band. ^_^

Bring back the chocolate covered ants.

J
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#27 Guest_gazzza_*

Guest_gazzza_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:36 AM

It says "Laxpastej" on that tube, does that mean what I think it means?

:(

Salmon flavoured laxative paste in a tube endorsed by a pop band.  :o

Bring back the chocolate covered ants.

J

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

Isn't lax the svensk version of laks or salmon

but yes, I'm sure it'll make yer shit yer ring off large -

or it certainly will wid me being seafood intollerant (and generally intollerable)

_
gary

chocolate covered ants, as in Adam? ^_^

#28 Kai

Kai

Lesser Gaggle

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:33 AM

Yes, it's lax = lox in english (or yiddish) - actually pretty good with cream cheese on a Rue St. Viateur bagel (Montréal claims to be the original North American home of the the bagel, before New York. And the bagels are very good. Was a large Jewish immigrant influx about a hundred years ago. Still tons of Hasidim in that neighborhood [Outremont]. Don't know if they operate any electronics stores with incredibly rude service, as they do in NYC...)

And my bowels have suffered no ill effects.

#29 Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:59 PM

Did we already talk about metheny's fretless playing on Imaginery Day?

#30 Guest_Bahreed Mandola_*

Guest_Bahreed Mandola_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:48 PM

I don't think so.

I'm thinking of travelling to the Congo.

Bahreed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users