30 replies to this topic

#1 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:45 PM

Us fretless boys (and girls) tend to go for a super low action. Helps with sustain / playability / peace of mind etc.

What about other fretless instruments? Some have outrageously high actions; take a look at a violin / cello / double bass / sarod, all these have actions we would say were unacceptable.

I know somebody is going to tell me why, but it can't be just to slice cheese.

;) --j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#2 Kukulcan

Kukulcan

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:46 PM

masochistic tendoncies...
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."

#3 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:39 PM

masochistic tendoncies...

No, its got to be more than pain, in fact quite a few experienced players will lift the action on a guitar.

Especially the slide players... ;)

--j
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#4 Kukulcan

Kukulcan

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:59 AM

more volume

#5 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:23 AM

The experienced guitar players who lift the action usually mention better attack. ;)

#6 Guest_VVV_*

Guest_VVV_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:59 PM

I like low action for fretless guitars but not too low because it will cut off alot of your attack on chords or heavily picked notes. From Pros I know who play Violin, Cello & Double Bass they like their action reasonably low. In general most instrument players would like their action low but again not TOO low; aside from say Slide players as mentioned before. I have to say that most of my recorded fretless guitar work has been on a neck where the strings were too high for my personal taste, but I love a challenge......................MAV

#7 Kukulcan

Kukulcan

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:18 AM

from my experience when I started fretted guitar, I strived for low action without buzz for years, when I got it I ended up raising it to medium action because the guitar just wouldent take the punishment!

#8 Kukulcan

Kukulcan

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:20 AM

to be honest Im craving a fretted guitar at the moment, I seem to be stuck in an unfretted rut making the same old sounds...

#9 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:25 AM

to be honest Im craving a fretted guitar at the moment, I seem to be stuck in an unfretted rut making the same old sounds...

Aye, and its inernational no tobacco day, so there will be a lot of craving.

What happens to cigarettes today, can happen to alcohol the day after, and pies the day after that. You have been warned. Your new ID card will state "Smoker" and other things "Pie Eater" , "Obese" etc.

Anyway, the fretted craving will pass, and the repeated sounds is just a ceiling you will break through.

#10 Kukulcan

Kukulcan

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:23 AM

I dont smoke, drink, or eat pies(except cherry morello) so I should be ok...

To be honest I havnt devoted that much time to unravelling the secrets of the fretless as I have been busy renovating the house, over the bank holiday week end I came close to 20 hours of chiseling and my forearms are not up to anything for a few days.

I am going to order my new flatties today and a new nut so hopefully I will have repaired in time to give them a whirl, sometime I like renovating/customising guitars more than playing them ;) ...

#11 thejim

thejim

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:41 AM

I can relate to that, some days I fly on guitar, others I suck so bad I wonder why I bother. But I always enjoy ripping the buggers apart to get even!
You're a grotesque, ugly freak and you're wrong. Thankyou.
http://myspace.com/fearsomegonad

#12 Kukulcan

Kukulcan

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:06 AM

I bought a load of wood at the weekend to finish of my new work bench so hopfully I will get it finished so that I can start my neck through 7 string fretless bitch.

I have started the guitar but with a small workmate type bench it is very hard to build a neck through model without tipping the thing up during planing etc, im gonna post some piccies of work in progress, not the bench as you wont be interested in that but as soom as the project resumes I will post my construction updates, and mirror them on my site.

K.

#13 thejim

thejim

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:57 AM

I shall wait with baited breath.

#14 Kukulcan

Kukulcan

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:47 AM

speaking on topic for once, does anyone know where to get cheap nut files for that super low action, and I mean cheap, not the rip off prices you normally see for any guitar tools...

#15 thejim

thejim

Lesser Gaggle

• Bollocksician
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:05 PM

I used to use nut files, but files are rubbish on plastic nuts. They just clog up.
I use a junior hack saw that has had the edges filed down to give a thinner cut. Much quicker, plus you can get a slot instead of a v shape. Some of my more exuberant friends dislodge strings from shallow nuts all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users