37 replies to this topic

#16 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:27 PM

The fingerboard on the Surfretter is not very magnetic....

is it really magnetic at all ?!?

i'll try it with a needle tonite... :D

Everything is slightly magentic, to a certain extent. My supermagnets do whince a bit near delta metal, but not that much.
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#17 Guest_Bahreed Mandola_*

Guest_Bahreed Mandola_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

Ed is good but real sustain comes from true technique.
BM

#18 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

.........but real sustain comes from true technique.
BM

enlighten me....

#19 Monosynapsis

Monosynapsis

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:01 PM

.........but real sustain comes from true technique.
BM

enlighten me....

+1 eager to know about this true technique.
The one who has just eaten does the hungry not believe.

#20 Sol

Sol

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:41 PM

Indeed. Unless you have fingers made of glass, I highly doubt you can create that much sustain.

Anyways... My plans to the U.S.A. are indefinite, so I may visiting Turkey instead to get the guitar and sustainer there and to visit one of my uncles (yay!). Unfortunately, he only speaks Turkish, so that's going to be a bit of problem...

#21 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

Indeed. Unless you have fingers made of glass, I highly doubt you can create that much sustain.

Eh????
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#22 Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

Eh????

[glass slides for fingers]
www.3pupsmusic.com

www.facebook.com/3pupsmusic

www.reverbnation.com/3pupsmusic

www.youtube.com/3pupsmusic

www.cafepress.com/3pupsmusic

www.archive.org/search.php?query=3pupsmusic

#23 Sol

Sol

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

I recently went to a music trade show at Dubai, partially stumbling on it by accident, and then I tried out an electric oud there. I've heard of them but I've never actually played one, and I thought it was awesome! :w00t: Now, I noticed you can also distort it without damaging the sound at all or getting god-awful feedback, and I'm not so sure if I want a surfreter anymore. To me, the real big difference between the two instruments would be the sustainer on the guitar, since I don't think an electric oud would be able to get one.

#24 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

I have the Sustainiac installed in my Frankenstrat and it performs nicely. I have one of Ned Evett's glass fingerboard Fernandes guitars on order. It will be here in a couple of weeks then I can do an A/B comparison. I've played the Fernandes system on a couple of guitars and my hunch is that there is no significant difference. I'll post the results of a closer comparison in a few weeks.

did you ever do the A/B comparison ?

so far i get the message that the sustainiac is the way to go...

what do you think ?

#25 Loren Claypool

Loren Claypool

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:00 AM

Paul, thanks for the reminder, I've been so enamored with playing the new fretless I had forgotten to the do the A/B comparison! Did it this evening, here goes.

I used a simple chain for the test. The amp was my little Fender Vibrochamp, volume on 4, treble on 8, bass on 5, a nice pure tone. I plugged into an Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer with the aNaLoG.MaN Silver Mod and tested both guitars clean and with the TS-9 engaged. The TS-9 was set with drive at 3 o'clock, tone at noon, and level and 9 o'clock - no volume gain with the TS-9 engaged.

The Sustainiac is in my Fender Roland Ready Strat. I had the guitar heavily customized, it is a much more substantial guitar than the off-the-rack version I purchased. More about the instrument and mods at http://budurl.com/b7vj. For giggles, be sure to read "The Frankenstrat Diary", a play-by-play conversion journal of the instrument. The Fernandes Sustainer™ System is in my Ned Evett-modified Fernandes Retro Rocket Pro with the glass fingerboard. More about this instrument at http://budurl.com/q9kb.

Controlling variables in the test was limited to the settings I've described on the amp and TS-9; certainly there are fundamental differences between the two instruments so the comparison isn't a pure A/B evaluation.

Both units perform very well in both clean and over-driven settings. The sustain swells in nicely in all scenarios and remains consistent as the notes are moved up and down the neck. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either unit.

In terms of differences, the Sustainiac seems stronger or more intense in the tests I did. That's not to say the Fernandes system is weak or underpowered, just that the Sustainiac is stronger. If anything, it requires me to be a little more conscious about not letting open strings take off on their own. Also, both units have a normal mode and a harmonic mode. The Sustainiac also has a blend mode that combines the two. In other words, the Sustainiac has a three position mode toggle and the Fernandes has a two position mode toggle. At least this is true as the Fernandes system was installed in the Retro Rocket Pro. I don't know if the blend mode is available on the Fernandes system.

If I were going to add a sustaining system to another guitar, I'd most likely go with the Sustainiac for another reason; the customer service. Alan Hoover at Sustainiac is a pleasure to work with and treated my guitar as I wanted it treated. We worked together on the control layout and he did impeccable work. I had a couple of followups with Alan and he's just as good after he has your money as he is before.

Just the same, though, I am very pleased with the Fernandes system, too, no complaints nor a desire to swap it out. I don't think you can wrong either way.
Loren Claypool
genre-indifferent instrumental guitar music
www.lorenclaypool.com
MySpace
Facebook
iLike
Twitter
Flickr

#26 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

Paul, thanks for the reminder, I've been so enamored with playing the new fretless I had forgotten to the do the A/B comparison!
Did it this evening, here goes.

In terms of differences, the Sustainiac seems stronger or more intense in the tests I did. That's not to say the Fernandes system is weak or underpowered, just that the Sustainiac is stronger. If anything, it requires me to be a little more conscious about not letting open strings take off on their own. Also, both units have a normal mode and a harmonic mode. The Sustainiac also has a blend mode that combines the two. In other words, the Sustainiac has a three position mode toggle and the Fernandes has a two position mode toggle.

Loren, thank you for taking the time to review these... i happened to play a spalt guitar today. it had the sustainiac installed...
very impressive indeed... i think i'm going to have the sustainiac built into one of my surfreters as soon as i find a tech who's willing
and able to take on this job... thanks again !

#27 Loren Claypool

Loren Claypool

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:17 PM

Paul, no problem, it was an interesting experiment.

If you haven't already, I would encourage you to give Alan a call, his number is on the website at http://www.sustainiac.com/. He can do the installation himself or perhaps direct you to someone in your area who can.

I'm sold on a sustainer system in a fretless guitar - and I'm sold on picking up a Surfreter within the year. Would love to hear how you go about the installation and your thoughts on how the Sustainiac works in the Surfreter.
Loren Claypool
genre-indifferent instrumental guitar music
www.lorenclaypool.com
MySpace
Facebook
iLike
Twitter
Flickr

#28 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

Ed's got one fitted to one of his, worth a PM!

#29 wfranklin

wfranklin

Known Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:49 PM

my fretless has a sustainiac in it. I consider sustaining devices essential to getting the most out of the articulations available on the instrument (or at least being able to practice them in isolation). How else can you practice vibrato with constant sting vibration?

#30 Paul Shigihara

Paul Shigihara

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:19 AM

How else can you practice vibrato with constant sting vibration?

ebow will do...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users