9 replies to this topic

#1 Villager

Villager

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 03:55 PM

Just seen a Godin Glissentar go on e-bay for 415.00 not bad at all, interesting to know how many have been made. Vill
Fret not thyself - Proverbs 24:19

#2 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 08:48 PM

Just seen a Godin Glissentar go on e-bay for 415.00 not bad at all, interesting to know how many have been made. Vill

I was bidding on that but it went beyond my budget, hope it makes someone happy!
--J
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#3 Villager

Villager

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 08:42 AM

I was bidding on that but it went beyond my budget, hope it makes someone happy!
--J

There'll be another one along soon...
Its nice to have if you are playing Oud based music, but there are negatives (see previous forums) so I think a Godin Multiac Nylon Fretless is a lot more flexible, plus you have the MIDI output, not possible on the Glissentar due to the dual string courses. V

#4 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 07:26 PM

--J

Its nice to have if you are playing Oud based music, but there are negatives (see previous forums) so I think a Godin Multiac Nylon Fretless is a lot more flexible, plus you have the MIDI output, not possible on the Glissentar due to the dual string courses. V

You're right you know, my missus came in at the end of the auction and I'm pretty glad I didn't get it, after all there is the Multiac and my OUD patch for VG-88, who would have thought that would have been a marraige saver? --J
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.

#5 Monosynapsis

Monosynapsis

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 07:20 PM

--J

*nonchalantly cleans his nails with a combat knife*

What negatives are there about a Glissentar?
The one who has just eaten does the hungry not believe.

#6 Monosynapsis

Monosynapsis

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:00 AM

Seriuously, apart from the MIDI incompatibility, what other negatives have you experienced/heard about the Glissentar ? And where are these other forums where there's talk about it ?

#7 Villager

Villager

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:07 PM

Seriuously, apart from the MIDI incompatibility, what other negatives have you experienced/heard about the Glissentar ? And where are these other forums where there's talk about it ?

Oops! I was really consoling Jahloon on missing the Glissentar at 415 quid. The negatives I heard were too much feedback playing live, don't know where? But the Multiac also suffers feedback problems, its quite a topic on the Yahoo Godin forum. Vill (with apologies)

#8 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:38 PM

It was Fareed Haque who said he didn't use the Glissentar live because of feedback problems. I've seen the Godin Multiac threads but I think the guy was basically using the wrong type of amp, an acoustic amp would have helped.
V - No need to console, it just went past my cash limit. --J

#9 Monosynapsis

Monosynapsis

Unknown Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:55 PM

[quote name='Villager' date='Dec 16 2004, 02:07 PM'][quote name='Monosynapsis' date='Dec 16 2004, 10:00 AM'] [quote name='Monosynapsis' date='Dec 10 2004, 07:20 PM'] [quote name='Villager' date='Dec 6 2004, 08:42 AM']
Its nice to have if you are playing Oud based music, but there are negatives (see previous forums) so I think a Godin Multiac Nylon Fretless is a lot more flexible, plus you have the MIDI output, not possible on the Glissentar due to the dual string courses. V[/quote]
[/quote]
Seriuously, apart from the MIDI incompatibility, what other negatives have you experienced/heard about the Glissentar ? And where are these other forums where there's talk about it ? [/quote]
Oops! I was really consoling Jahloon on missing the Glissentar at 415 quid. The negatives I heard were too much feedback playing live, don't know where? But the Multiac also suffers feedback problems, its quite a topic on the Yahoo Godin forum. Vill (with apologies) [/quote]
Nah, no apologies needed, I wasn't offended, just curious!

Feedback problems and the Glissentar, here's my experience:

Compression and even a bit of distortion (I like using an ADA MP1 as preamp and a compressor after that, for example) results in unplayable amounts of feedback. But that has to be expected. For playing with distortion I use the ADA Ampulator after the MP1 (an old analog amp simulator, sounds like a real amp through a line out) and from there straight into desk. Monitoring through headphones, so no feedback, hehe.

I use a Marshall AS 100 D accoustic amp (very average sound, to put it mildly, but extremely versatile an amp) and have to crank it up to extreme settings (past 12'o clock, it's a 100 watter) and then sit with my guitar close to it and facing the speaker to have feedback.

The best clean sound I get out of it is a totally different setup though: straight into my TLA Ivory 5052 Channel Strip and from there into the desk or PA and FX loop. Absolutely amazing sound and not a single feedback problem whatsoever even at huge volumes. Recommended for any acoustic btw.

#10 Villager

Villager

Lesser Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:18 AM

Definitely a right tools for the right job scenario. V

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users