#1 Mat Cooper

Mat Cooper

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

Posted Image

My first microtonal conversion. Curretly tuned in fifths at a baritone pitch, D'Addario Prosteels and Rotosound plain guitar string .070 .045 .028w .016p. EVO nickel-free gold coloured frets.

#2 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

Lookin' nice!
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

#3 les fret

les fret

Unknown Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

really curious what you use this for! For myself I see no practical use for this. Any soundsamples/videos?
gitaarles en basgitaarles in Weert
www.gitaarschoolweert.nl

#4 Mat Cooper

Mat Cooper

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:47 AM

I can barely play it so you will have to wait for samples, i do intend to record some Arabic chords and scales, they are very beautiful and exotic.
For now i can post examples of other 24EDO guitars.
You probably wont like the vocals (which are performed amazingly well) but the guitars are amazing ...

My link

My link

#5 Mat Cooper

Mat Cooper

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:55 AM

Posted Image

A comfortable perfectly balanced strap system. One strap button has been moved such that both are on a horizontal line and equal distances either side of the centre of gravity, this equalises the load on each end of the strap and stops neck dive.
Having the button on the body top counteracts and balances the torque of the button on the back of the neck joint that wants to tilt the bass forwards.
Having the moved button well forward makes the strap hug your right side and pulls the bass the the right which is much needed on a flying V.
Also you can see the new frets at the 25 and 75 cent positions past each original fretslot, therefore missing the old fret slots and the dots. The whole idea being that any old bass with worn frets in badly cut fretslots can be converted by using fresh wood for all 24 frets.

You see ... this is all part of the 24 tone revolution, where old guitars that need new frets are converted :)

I do intend to add a few more frets, you can see 2 empty fret slots here, for now the fretless section is fun.
I'm not a bassist, this is a kick-ass 4 string guitar with tone to die for, the fifths tuning makes for clearer low chords and is perfect for distortion, it also compensates for the fewer strings.

If you want to hear a previous microtonal bass recording of mine here it is My link
And here's the video made with my artwork My link

#6 les fret

les fret

Unknown Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

I can barely play it so you will have to wait for samples, i do intend to record some Arabic chords and scales, they are very beautiful and exotic.
For now i can post examples of other 24EDO guitars.
You probably wont like the vocals (which are performed amazingly well) but the guitars are amazing ...

My link

My link

thanks for the the links. I am pretty sure this tuning will not be everybody's cup of tea and will sound very out of tune to most people.
Will be very hard to combine with other (non-microtonal) instruments.
Also I you want Arabic 'scales' you need e fretless instrument IMHO.
But I like the experiment!
www.gitaarschoolweert.nl

#7 Mat Cooper

Mat Cooper

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

Ah i thought it was obvious 24ET contains 12ET :)/> its essentially just extra tones added halfway between the original tones. So 24ET is one of the few micro tunings that blends with the norm. It also very closely approximate a lot of just intonation intervals derived from the 3rd and 11th harmonics.

#8 les fret

les fret

Unknown Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Ah i thought it was obvious 24ET contains 12ET :)/>/>/> its essentially just extra tones added halfway between the original tones. So 24ET is one of the few micro tunings that blends with the norm. It also very closely approximate a lot of just intonation intervals derived from the 3rd and 11th harmonics.

just intonation or not I don't think many people will perceive this tuning as 'in tune' or 'blend in with the norm'.
www.gitaarschoolweert.nl

#9 Mat Cooper

Mat Cooper

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

I agree but thats just mainstream aversion to microtonal music, thats to be expected. 24ET contains the exact pitches of standard 12ET, that is what i mean by blend.

#10 les fret

les fret

Unknown Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

ok, thanks for explaining. Why do you choose for a micro tonal guitar with frets? instead of just playing on a fretless where all the micro tones are available instead of just the extra 12 you have with a fretted micro tonal instrument?
www.gitaarschoolweert.nl

#11 Mat Cooper

Mat Cooper

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:04 AM

I also have a fretless bass strung as a baritone guitar. I love the tone and sustain of frets and they have their advantages. Couldn't be without either.

#12 Mat Cooper

Mat Cooper

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

Posted Image

Almost finished, added more frets up to the neck heel and converted to 8 string with unison courses tuned in fifths at a baritone type pitch. 8 string basses usually have root-octave courses but unison has a more powerful chorus and shimmer and a more 'pitch-compact' tone, the tone is amazing and the best sound i have ever heard come from a bass.

#13 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

WoW! Looks sweet....
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users