Harp Guitar

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jonpickard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

Hi Everyone, I just joined this forum and wanted to say hello.  I am a player of nylon guitars and harp guitars.  I was inspired recently by the sound of Cenk Erdogan's music in his youtube videos.  I thought about getting a similar 6 string version, but as I am into harp guitars I thought - why the heck not.  I have a friend who makes harp guitars (Sean Woolley, who lives in France) who had a spare HG lying around at home so I asked him to convert it for me - and here it is.  Its my first taste of fretless anything but am loving it so far.

I am familiar with Tim Donahue's amazing instruments, but I wondered if anyone else has seen or heard of this kind of fretless harp guitar anywhere else?

Attached File  Woolley HG 01 xtra lo res.jpg   29.65KB   1 downloads

#2 jahloon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:04 AM

Wow! That is a beauty... and no, I have never seen a fretless harp guitar like this. (TD an exception).

There was one made by the Larson brothers http://www.unfretted...tory-1900-1959/but that was fretted with the bass strings on a fretless board.

Please send me a few pics and a bit more history, would love to feature it on Unfretted.

Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide"

#3 jonpickard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

Cool, thanks for the Larson bros link.  I think I read at that the strings on that unfretted neck were intended for use only as sub-basses like you say, as the 2 necks are so close together, I doubt there would be room for the left had to function on the upper neck.  I don't know for sure, but some other modern harp guitar builders do the same, for example https://www.facebook...45627364&type=3

Similarly this instrument of mine has an ordinary 6 string neck and the other 6 strings are lower in pitch, descending from D.  I'll definitely send you some more info.

I'm loving discovering some of the info you have on this site btw - a whole new fretless universe is opening up!

#4 Liquids

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

Very nice!  I love fretless nylon string guitar.

Sometimes it's sad being a lefty...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users